The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Warmwater Fly Fishing

Warmwater Fly Fishing Bass, Bream, Perch, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-03-2008, 01:54 PM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future
Default Re: Winter Carp?

Warm is a relative term here. In your case seek out a 'warmer' afternoon.

While its true that they do have to eat sometime, keep in mind that they are cold blooded critters whose metabolism slows down as the temperature drops as well.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 12-07-2008, 12:12 PM

GreenMtn is on a distinguished road

Went and hit the local lake yesterday and not a single fish in sight. Weird. It's like they're hiding out in the middle where I would have expected it to be even colder.
Old 01-04-2009, 02:22 PM

fishdoc is on a distinguished road

I have had success in winter and other times by throwing small dry flies to carp cruising in shallows. I think they can't pass up the opportunity for a quick meal...thinking it is come small bug. Have to let the take it well before setting hook... missed several before I figured it out.
Old 06-10-2009, 04:49 PM

Uncommon Carp is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenMtn View Post
Went and hit the local lake yesterday and not a single fish in sight. Weird. It's like they're hiding out in the middle where I would have expected it to be even colder.
Remember the thermocline, sometimes it is much warmer down deep in the winter than you expect.

Sunning and milling carp are very difficult to catch, put something in front of their nose and twitch it if you can not pass the fish up. Sometimes you will get an aggressive stirke. Otherwise, walk a bit and find a warmer bay or backwater and find feeding fish.
If it is a local park pond, try a bread fly!