The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Warmwater Fly Fishing

Warmwater Fly Fishing Bass, Bream, Perch, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-02-2008, 04:35 PM

GreenMtn is on a distinguished road
Default Winter Carp?

I have a stellar large pond scoped out in the SouthEast with some ginormous 30" carp just milling about waiting to be caught. Unfortunately the temperatures are in the mid 50s and nothing I've tossed at them so far has enticed any interest whatsoever. I've tried a #10 bead head wooly bugger, mini-cray, BH Hares Ear, san juan worm, red ibis (actually foul hooked one with a red ibis, it was like being hooked to a pissed off log. The scale that came off with my hook was the size of a silver dollar!). I'm about to try a #6 and #8 wooly worm in black and olive. Any other ideas for enticing these guys into eating in the colder months? I'm resisting the bread and corn flies and people don't feed them in this pond anyway so it's unlikely they'd even know what it was. None of them seem to be interested in surface feeding. At best they're tailing but more often than not they're just milling about in 1.5' of water.
Old 12-02-2008, 06:25 PM

i want to catch fish will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Winter Carp?

we do catch alot of carp on in the river where we fish and we use anything that has yellow streamers and yellow bugs just give it a try and see
Old 12-02-2008, 06:40 PM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute

I have had the best luck with YELLOW also. Here are the two flies that always produced Carp.

Click the image to open in full size.

Click the image to open in full size.

I have not been to the river in some time so, I am thinking the carp are allot harder to catch this time of year. I will have to cruise over and check it out.
Old 12-02-2008, 06:54 PM

That's the trick. Their feeding seems to have changed for the Winter. I suspect a lot of what I have tried will work in the warmer months. Things like popcorn, cottonwood, large nymphs etc.
Old 12-02-2008, 07:30 PM

Midwest flyfish kid will become famous soon enough

Why do carp eat cottonwood
Old 12-02-2008, 08:03 PM

They eat the seeds which are probably high in protein and carbs. They're also easy to catch and in huge numbers. Unfortunately it's a few months to go before spring.
Old 12-02-2008, 08:08 PM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute

You guys got me real curious now. However a friend went to my Carp hole and said they were gone...I just have to check it out for myself now!
Old 12-02-2008, 08:36 PM

Midwest flyfish kid will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenMtn View Post
They eat the seeds which are probably high in protein and carbs. They're also easy to catch and in huge numbers. Unfortunately it's a few months to go before spring.
Thanks. I was wondering that when i saw a carp eating some and then I saw a fly imitiating cottonwood and I was thinking "Why posses a carp to eat that?"
Old 12-02-2008, 10:16 PM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

In general, when they're just milling about is the time they're least likely to eat. I'd try to use a warmer afternoon to find them tailing or obviously feeding in the shallows.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 12-03-2008, 09:31 AM

I figure they have to eat sometime. With the days barely topping 56 at best, it's tough to find a warm afternoon. Do they go into fast mode and stop eating for a few months?