The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Warmwater Fly Fishing

Warmwater Fly Fishing Bass, Bream, Perch, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-01-2005, 10:45 AM

tie one on will become famous soon enoughtie one on will become famous soon enough
Default Best fly for Smallmouth Bass

Best Fly for Smallies,

I was wondering if any of you have a favorite fly that you can always dig out of your fly box to catch those extreme fighters known as Smallmouth ? One of my favorite rivers to fish during the summer is not far from my home in Ada, Michigan & has a great population of smallies. About two years ago I hooked into what I thought was a log, but when the line started to move I knew otherwise. After I set the hook the biggest smallie I'd ever seen came up out of the water & then the fight was on, for about 10+ minutes. I finally had to break one of fly fishings oldest rules that I had been taught : "do not pull the mono leader into the end of the rod when fighting a fish" He faught so hard I had no choice. I had gotten him close several times, but he did not want to give up & come close enough for me to grab him. After the leader was in the tip of my 9' 5wt rod I got him close enough to grab & I relaxed my tension on him, which he saw as an opportunity to spit the hook out & swim away as he was right beside my left side. Oh well, the thrill of a trophy on my wall swam away for another battle someday down the road. I was using a simple fly (do not know the name) made of gold chenile, palmered hackle & wings made of calf tail. If anyone has a fly to share, or a same type experience please reply.

tie one on
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Smallmouth.jpg (15.7 KB, 164 views)
Old 11-01-2005, 11:56 AM
Cast Like A Pro

dougm will become famous soon enoughdougm will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Best fly for Smallmouth Bass

As odd as it may seem, my favorite fly for our friend, the smallmouth bass, is an old salmon fly known as the Silver Doctor. Try it!

Doug

Fly Fishing with Doug Macnair
www.douglasmacnair.com
Old 11-01-2005, 12:27 PM

freeze69 will become famous soon enoughfreeze69 will become famous soon enough

i've got a lake not far from home noted for big smallies. can't wait to see what other people are using as far as flies are concerned. my question though is wether or not my 5wt will hold up to the assault of a smallie?
Old 11-01-2005, 01:00 PM
Cast Like A Pro

As they say, "It all depends..." Questions one might ask include: How big are big smallies? The specific 5-weight you plan to use.

Frankly, I think I would be more comfortable going in with a fast 6 or 7-weight when faced with a moderate probability of meeting one in the 7-pound range in his water.

The smallmouth bass is a terrific fighter ... Whether or not you can defeat a large smallie with a 5-weight is really not the issue, it's how long it takes if the fish is to be saved.

Doug

www.douglasmacnair.com
Old 11-01-2005, 01:26 PM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

In sizes 6-14, there's probably more flies that will catch smallmouth than won't. The Clouser minnow is one of the all-time favorites, and Wooly buggers and poppers would likely compete for the second spot. Smallmouth are some crawfish loving fools, so brownish heavy buggers bounced along the bottom work well also. The ideal rod would probably be something more like a 6 or 7wt but a 5wt will handle lots of them. (depending on how quick you need to tug them out of cover)

My one favorite fly for smallmouth would have to be a variation on the clouser I call a "copper-top". Its white and ginger bucktail with rootbeer pearl krystal flash in the middle and copper flash on top. Great Redfish fly too. The clouser is often thought of as a saltwater fly, but it was originally developed for smallmouth.

Just remembered the last big smallmouth I caught was on a variation on the conhead kiwi muddler. Mine was a lighter color, but looked basically like this one.
Click the image to open in full size.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 11-01-2005, 01:49 PM

easternflyfisher will become famous soon enougheasternflyfisher will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to easternflyfisher Send a message via MSN to easternflyfisher

I like to use clousers, and sneaky petes for smallies. I also like to use craw patterns. I normally use a 5wt, but now that I have a 6wt, I have a feeling the 6wt will do most of my smallie work.

http://simpsonsigs.com/04/quotes01b.jpg
Old 11-03-2005, 10:55 AM

tie one on will become famous soon enoughtie one on will become famous soon enough

Doug & Cliff,

I would like to ask each of you if there is a website or some other place where I could get the recipe for the flies that each of you suggested for smallies ? I tie all my own flies & would like to try each of these you mentioned. Thanks for the info.

Tie One On
Old 11-03-2005, 12:59 PM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

Here's a regular Kiwi Muddler. http://www.danica.com/flytier/msmith/kiwi_muddler.htm
Just add a conehead at the front for the version i suggested.

Here's one of the clouser minnow: http://www.flyanglersonline.com/flyt...te/part43.html

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 11-03-2005, 03:30 PM

fshfanatic will become famous soon enough

For me, I only use a few different flies when fishing for most bass, including Smallmouth, Largemouth, Whites & Stripers.

When fishing deep areas in lakes and deep pools in rivers, The Weighted White Zonker.
When fishing topwater, but not poppers, I like divers like this one:
When searching open water with either an intermediate sinking line or a sink-tip line I mainly like shiner or minnow patterns:

All of my subsurface flies I tie on with a loop knot as it produces many times more action. I like fishing points off the main body of water with an intermediate sinking line and either a white or yellow shiner pattern.
Old 11-06-2005, 10:03 AM
Cast Like A Pro

The Doctor can be found at http://www.Percysflies.com.

www.douglasmacnair.com