The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Warmwater Fly Fishing

Warmwater Fly Fishing Bass, Bream, Perch, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-28-2008, 06:25 PM

Red Owl has a spectacular aura aboutRed Owl has a spectacular aura about
Default Bass bugs- hair or foam/balsa

For large mouth bass to be taken on the surface, what do most of you prefer, a deer hair bug or a hard body like foam or plastic? What color or color combination do you prefer and what size? What length and size leader to turn over the bug?
Old 12-28-2008, 06:31 PM

boone is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Bass bugs- hair or foam/balsa

i like to use foam or plastic. Bass like to eat big things i'd say about 3 to 4 inches long and just as wide. Usually i like to have something that has red on the belly. That seems to really turn the fish on. Pretty much any color on the top i usually use green white or brown with black dots on it.

If you're ever after small mouth bass or the large mouths are in the 1 to 2 pound range try a chernobyl(sp) ant. They are awesome and super easy to tie. The fish cant resist them. Google them to see what they look like then go to walmart or a crafts store and get some foam and you can tie dozens of them for about 10 bucks. if you need more help with tying them just pm me and i'll give you a step by step.

As far as leaders go just try out different stuff to see what works for you. Start at about 6 lb and go from there.

Hope that helps
Old 12-28-2008, 07:40 PM

arfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud of

I love bass fishing with a bug, i tie my own deer hair bugs and have found some foam bodies with hooks in a kit that you glue on then tie your tail and paint. I have even played with carveing them from balsa.
I like the balsa the best, its light, cast great, and easy to make. I however have boxes filled with all three.
I like bumbble bee patterns in brown/yellow or black yellow, frog, and white if the are chasing shad. Some times I'll go off the usall path and cast bright orange or bright pink or bright red seems to drive a lazy fish to bight some times.
S.A. 8' 8 to 15 lb leaders seem to work pretty good for me.
Bear
Old 12-28-2008, 09:59 PM

lineslinger is on a distinguished road

I now use foam or cork almost exclusively. Spun deer hair saturates too quickly and looses it buoyancy. I prefer the livelier action of the more buoyant synthetics as well.

I don't really worry about what color the top of the actual flies body is. I primarily concern my attention to detail on what the bottom of the fly looks like. This is the part of a floating/stripped top water flies anatomy the fish is keying on anyway.
When the fly is popped there is so much peripheral "noise" surrounding it the color of the flies body gets "washed" or lost in all the waters agitation. Usually I just leave the popper head whatever color it came.

I stick with white or silver as the underside coloration, often including red or chartreuse in the patterns edging colors.

I have had good results using darker colors at sunrise and dusk while brighter more reflective coloration seems to produce better results with a high sun.

I tie bass poppers in sizes #2 to 4/0. Leaders are usually tapered 5'- 7' mono or a 5' section of hard mono with a 2'-3' section of 10lb. shock tippett tied on, a lot of this depends on how big a bug I am trying to turn over.

Hope this helps
Old 12-29-2008, 01:07 AM

lineslinger is on a distinguished road

Sorry for the double post, senior moment I guess.
Old 12-29-2008, 09:42 AM

Jackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant future

Learn to tie or try to find some Anthony Hipps soft-bodied foam poppers. All of my other poppers have been given away.
They are easy casting, high floating and extremely long lasting. The only thing that needs replacing on these durable flies is the tailing material when it get ripped apart by fish.
http://www.carolinaflyfishingclub.org/events/hipps.html
Old 12-29-2008, 10:25 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

One of the things that attracted me to black bass fishing in the first place was spinning hair and tying hair bugs
Now I'd bet that I don't even carry a single one... all foam
I make mine out of the foam used for lobster pot floats that I find washed up on the beach. I've collected a number of colors, but pretty much I use yellow or white. They get no paint or eyes. only sewn in rubber legs and a glued in tail
Easy to put together with free, recycled material
Old 12-29-2008, 12:32 PM

Armando will become famous soon enough

Hi Rip tide

I've seen that bass usually likes more water pushing poppers than noisy ones, not an expert on large mouth bass I have fished for them too little.
On the other hand I can speak about peacock bass, diferent fish diferent species but they do love noisy poppers, as they are so agressive, when you find them and see them reject streamers IŽll go with a very noisy popper they cant resist, plus the strike in the surface is breath taking.
You can always tie fancy poppers with foam or deerhair but color appears to be a secondary theme.
Poppers are made to look like bigger than they are and as their purpose is to be fished on the surface a white belly is all that is really seen on any case, I dont paint my poppers any more, except for two curved lines in red as gills.

Take care my man
Old 12-29-2008, 04:57 PM

jclampwork88 will become famous soon enoughjclampwork88 will become famous soon enough

What little bass fishing/tying i have done was with a hair/soft foam.

John
Old 12-29-2008, 07:12 PM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi to all,

My favorite is foam with a feather tail or hair tail of some kind. Floats much better than spun deer hair. Here are a couple of examples.

Frank

Click the image to open in full size.

Click the image to open in full size.