The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Warmwater Fly Fishing

Warmwater Fly Fishing Bass, Bream, Perch, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-30-2008, 06:59 PM

jr1964 is on a distinguished road
Default Bluegill fishing rigs

I usually fish for bluegills with a 6 wt. I was thinking of scaling down to a 3 wt. I like the TFO finesse series 7'9 3 wt. and the Ross CLA or Lamson Konic reel. I would like any advice the members may have.
Old 12-30-2008, 08:24 PM

Matttrick is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Bluegill fishing rigs

I actually have the Finesse 4wt 7'9" and I love it, fwiw. It's a smooth rod that can do the whole delicate presentation thing with easy. I really enjoy casting it. I use my 4wt for just about everything except for throwing huge bass poppers.
Old 12-30-2008, 09:29 PM

arfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud of

I own a few lamson reels , and love em. one thing I would say is think about going to a 4 wt. I own a 3 and fish it from time to time for trort and gills, the only time I dont like it for gills is when I go to a little bigger popper or a weited fly. But catching a 9 or 10 inch bull bluegill on a three weight is a ball for sure.
have fun
Bear
Old 12-31-2008, 09:07 AM

pdq 5oh is a jewel in the roughpdq 5oh is a jewel in the roughpdq 5oh is a jewel in the rough

There are some big bluegills in mine and my neighbor's ponds. A 4 wt is lots of fun. The 3 wt should be a real ball. This is the average size, with some much bigger. As I look out at the snow and wind, I just sigh.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 71908 home (4).jpg (62.3 KB, 249 views)
Old 01-05-2009, 05:49 PM

jr1964 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matttrick View Post
I actually have the Finesse 4wt 7'9" and I love it, fwiw. It's a smooth rod that can do the whole delicate presentation thing with easy. I really enjoy casting it. I use my 4wt for just about everything except for throwing huge bass poppers.
I was told that casting with a shorter rod was difficult, is your tfo 4 wt harder to cast than a 6 wt rod.
Old 01-06-2009, 06:58 AM

BadKarma is on a distinguished road

My 8'6" 4/5 is a Sage with a Bass Pro Hobbs Creek reel, it's my all around workhorse.

I also have a custom made 7' 4wt with a Ross reel that gets the call for the streams and creeks and a TFO 9' 6wt loaded with 7wt line on another Hobbs Creek for the bigger bass flies.

So far I have no complaints with any of these rigs. That means I don't have to buy any more rods and reels, right?
Old 01-06-2009, 07:48 PM

Matttrick is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by jr1964 View Post
I was told that casting with a shorter rod was difficult, is your tfo 4 wt harder to cast than a 6 wt rod.
My apoligy, mine's an 8'9" 4wt, not the 7'9". I don't know what I was smoking the other night. The 8'9" is plenty long and I have no difficulty casting it at all. I've tried a TFO 3wt 6ft something inch, and that was to short for my liking.
Old 01-07-2009, 06:22 AM

BadKarma is on a distinguished road

The shorter rods will magnify the flaws in your casting. But they can double as a training/practice rod.
Old 01-07-2009, 10:39 AM

tie one on will become famous soon enoughtie one on will become famous soon enough

I use an 8'-6" 3wt Cabelas Travel Rod for fighting Bluegill.

Simple rigging & simple flies

Catching those little fighters on a 3wt is a blast.

Tie One On
Old 01-07-2009, 01:31 PM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by arfishinbear View Post
I own a few lamson reels , and love em. one thing I would say is think about going to a 4 wt. I own a 3 and fish it from time to time for trort and gills, the only time I dont like it for gills is when I go to a little bigger popper or a weited fly. But catching a 9 or 10 inch bull bluegill on a three weight is a ball for sure.
have fun
Bear
A 4wt seems to be affected much less by the wind than a 3wt as well. If you expect to cast poppers and such it can make a big difference.

As far as length goes, rods under 7'6" are a bit tougher to cast, but something around 8' shouldn't be too much of a change from your 9' rod. I've got a 8'6" 3wt TFO Pro and like it quite well. Its really fairly stiff for a long 3wt.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.