The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Warmwater Fly Fishing

Warmwater Fly Fishing Bass, Bream, Perch, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-30-2009, 12:27 PM

aftershock is on a distinguished road
Default Bass fly line

What are some brands of good fly line for Largemouth bass....I have a TFO 8wt and throw some big flys with it...therefore looking for a good line that with last awhile... any suggestions please?
Old 01-30-2009, 05:50 PM

Scott Kessler is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Bass fly line

My favorite line for throwing Big Flies for Bass is a Rio Clouser. Check it out.
Old 01-30-2009, 07:14 PM

arfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud of

The SA bass lines are good and if your throwing realy big bugs try one of the name brand musky/pike tapers.
Bear
Old 01-30-2009, 09:24 PM

Would the sharkskin Magnum Taper be over kill/ or not work wih my TFo Signature series rod?...thanks for the suggestions i will look into them
Old 01-31-2009, 01:07 PM

ezamora is a jewel in the roughezamora is a jewel in the roughezamora is a jewel in the rough

i've got a buddy who is a gear ***** and has countless rods, reels and lines. he suggested to me to get the rio clouser for our largemouth fishing in lakes (if i cared to go the premium line route). in this (my) beginner's eyes, it's not like you need a super premium delicate landing finely designed line for tossing big bass bugs, but that's just my take at this early stage of bass fishing. my bass fishing for LMs are generall close in and do not need a distance shooting line.

i was short on time, hastily wrapping a 7wt blank and i went with an inexpensive cortland 333 pro bass taper floating line in the 8wt size plus a separate 7wt line with a 10' sink tip, both about $35, and were waiting for me on the shelves in my local shop the day before my first bass trip so i didn't have much choice on short notice. i catch fish.... usually. lol

eric
fresno, ca.
Old 01-31-2009, 06:57 PM

arfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by aftershock View Post
Would the sharkskin Magnum Taper be over kill/ or not work wih my TFo Signature series rod?...thanks for the suggestions i will look into them
I have never fished a sharkskin, still trying to justafy 100 bucks for a line, some my rods I like and use didnt cost that much LOL I have heard they are great lines though, one of my buddies likes them so much he spooled his three go to rods with the shark skin. If you have the money and wnat the SS go for it.
Old 01-31-2009, 08:21 PM

thanks for the info...I have cabelas points and thought why not get the best line i can
Old 01-31-2009, 09:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aftershock View Post
thanks for the info...I have cabelas points and thought why not get the best line i can
Hell yeah if you can get one of the best out there and get it with points, I'd jump on it
Old 01-31-2009, 10:21 PM

GRN will become famous soon enough

I have tried Rio Clouser and Bass lines... neither did a lot for me. The only Bass specific line I've used that has really impressed me is the Sage Bass taper, for the 8wt you would want to try the 'Smallmouth' line.

I choose fly rods the same way I do women, motorcycles, and cowboy boots...
go with what ever feels good, and keep on hand as many as I can afford
Old 02-03-2009, 05:20 PM

FlySouth is on a distinguished road

I have an 8wt SA Bass Bug taper for my 8wt Sage Fli and I have a hard time throwing the heavier deer hair poppers.

Would the Sage Small mouth line be too heavy for a med-fast 8wt like the Fli? I understand this line is somewhere between a 9 and 10 wt. I dont want my rod to be so overloaded that it cant cast but would like to be able to move surface flies a little easier.

Any thoughts?