The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Warmwater Fly Fishing

Warmwater Fly Fishing Bass, Bream, Perch, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-30-2009, 03:45 PM

nralover is on a distinguished road
Default Ross Flystik?

Has anyone heard of these? I am wondering how they compare to the Sage bass rods- they appear to be the same idea. I have heard some other companies are doing the same thing also but I haven't seen them. I really love bass fishing and I think these would be great at the river as we see plenty of largemouth, some big smallies and the occasional spotted bass.
Old 01-30-2009, 04:50 PM

jimw has a spectacular aura aboutjimw has a spectacular aura aboutjimw has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Ross Flystik?

I didnt know Ross made one. Redington has just come out with one called the Predator. I bass fish alot with a 9' 7wt and it works just fine I don't see were a 7'11" rod would make a whole lot of difference compared to a 9' rod. Maybe in a tight area with lots of trees? I use the same rod for light saltwater and don't see a need for a different rod for every species.
Old 01-30-2009, 05:24 PM

nralover is on a distinguished road

Well, some of the best areas of the small lake I frequent are tightly surrounded by woods. I guess it might benefit me, but I see your point as well.
Old 01-30-2009, 09:12 PM

KRD will become famous soon enough

the reason they are 7'11" is because to BASS tournament rules. That is the largest rod you can use. I think Sage really confused a lot of beginners think they had to have that rod to bass fish.
Old 01-31-2009, 01:58 PM

ezamora is a jewel in the roughezamora is a jewel in the roughezamora is a jewel in the rough

if there's confusion, or a belief bass fly fishermen need that rod, it was probably calculated by ross and sage in the hopes people who want to fish for bass need the "bass rod." marketing, and ross caught onto sage's first endeavor.

as for the length, i found B.A.S.S. Federation 2006 and current 209 tournament rules which stipulates 8 feet as the maximum length for a rod (like KRD wrote), a facet i've read bandied about on other discussions about these rods.

that's a reasonable price for the ross rods. 7'-11" would be nice for float tube fishing though i wonder how fast it really is. "medium fast," like all similarly labeled rods, is subjective and open to interpretation. if they said it has an action like the TFO TiCR-X, i'd know. chuckling.

eric
fresno, ca.