The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Warmwater Fly Fishing

Warmwater Fly Fishing Bass, Bream, Perch, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-17-2009, 08:20 PM

spanky is on a distinguished road
Default Chain Pickerel

I do believe in Texas we call them Grinnel, why I don't know........anyway is there a fly out there that works good on them? I do understand that they react to a lot of flash, hence I have caught them off a spinner bait. Any advice is appreciated, thanks in advance.
Old 02-18-2009, 10:18 AM

kevino is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Chain Pickerel

Here in NC they're called Jackfish or Jack Pike.

I'm looking forward to catching some pickerel on the fly (I'm a beginner). I've caught many on med light spinnnig gear with Rapala minnows, in line spinners and plastic worms.

This summer I'm going to try clouser minnows and bass bugs.

I've heard a few fisherman at my local lake say "poke your pliers through the head and throw them on the bank if you catch one". I just don't understand that mentality. These fish are agressive, fight like the dickens and in most cases have some awesome coloration. They're basically little pike and a lot of fun on light tackle.

Heck, I'll let the tournament anglers go after all the bass. I'd be happy hooking into pickerel and carp all day!
Old 02-18-2009, 10:44 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

Except for a short period just after ice-out, I can't say that I fish for them much on purpose.
They are very aggressive..... but I wouldn't say that they fight well.
Besides, they're slimey and excel at biting off flies.
When I do fish for them I use flies that are the 'daredevil' colors
Red/white, red/yellow, green/yellow and black.
I use a fly of my own design that's somewhat similar to a 'seaducer' or a tarpon style fly, but tied with the tail 'cocked' for more action.

We'll have ice-out around here in around 3-4 weeks and I'll go out for them a time or two just to get out.
They don't mind the cold and the larger ones seem to be on the prowl early
Old 02-18-2009, 11:03 AM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

Fairly sure a Grinnel is actually a Bowfin. Both are found in the same waters, but a Bowfin is a whole 'nother critter altogether.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 02-18-2009, 06:19 PM

jdorsey61 has a spectacular aura aboutjdorsey61 has a spectacular aura about

Cliff's right - a bowfin (also known as grinnel, dogfish, cypress trout, cotton fish, mudfish) is not a pickerel. There are three basic models of pickerel: grass, chain, and redfin. The chain pickerel is the one most anglers are familiar with, the other two being pretty small on average. I would recommend trying any pattern you would use for largemouth (including surface flies), with special emphasis on red/white and yellow/red combinations, with some flash. From my experience, they like a fast moving target.
Old 02-18-2009, 07:40 PM

spanky is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdorsey61 View Post
Cliff's right - a bowfin (also known as grinnel, dogfish, cypress trout, cotton fish, mudfish) is not a pickerel. There are three basic models of pickerel: grass, chain, and redfin. The chain pickerel is the one most anglers are familiar with, the other two being pretty small on average. I would recommend trying any pattern you would use for largemouth (including surface flies), with special emphasis on red/white and yellow/red combinations, with some flash. From my experience, they like a fast moving target.

I stand corrected, you are right they are a bowfin. Thanks for clearing that up for me.
Old 02-18-2009, 09:39 PM

BlueDun has a spectacular aura aboutBlueDun has a spectacular aura about

Anyone have photos of them?
Old 03-03-2009, 08:15 AM

FlyFisherMann is on a distinguished road

Chain Pickerel here in New Brunswick are so much fun on the fly rod and will take a go at just about anything you throw at them, most of the time, but not always.

We it the water with our float tubes and get into some really great spots that anything wider than a canoe just wouldn't get to so we can hit a lot of areas that don't get a lot of fishing, especially as the water drops.

I tried to leave a picture a Chain Pickerel but when I tried all I could see was the link and not the image it's self.

I have found that any artificial fly I tie for Chain Pickerel that has a bright red head or butt, not usually both, works great. I have had them grab the fly and fight all the way back to the float tube without even being hooked. They just won't let go. It's kind of like when my pitbull chomps onto a stick, she just won't let go unless it's her idea to let go.

Looking forward to this years fly fishing. I have two float tubes and one new fishing buddy that has never experienced fishing from a float tube.
Old 03-03-2009, 09:24 AM

MikeG will become famous soon enough

If Chain Pickerel are anything like Northern Pike than clousers, streamers, and large wooly buggers will work. Also use tyger leader material, attach to the fly using a foot long section then tie it to your leader. Tyger is a stainless steel knottable Leader designed to handle toothy fish. I use it for pike and muskie on the fly.
Old 05-13-2010, 07:06 PM

wtkendall is on a distinguished road

I have been killing em in Massachusetts, # 8 brown wooly bugger