The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Warmwater Fly Fishing

Warmwater Fly Fishing Bass, Bream, Perch, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-18-2009, 08:02 PM

Renato Guedes is on a distinguished road
Hello to all and Peacock Bass Poppers.

First I would like to say hello to everybody cause this is my first post. I'm brazilian so please don't mind my english. I am really new into flyfishing but curious enough to learn as much as I can. My favorite fish so long is the peacock bass, wich we call here Tucunaré, but I got really amazed about the beginning of flyfishing (history) and the salmon flyfishing - hope I have the chance to try it someday.
I dont know much about fly tying, but I can make some flies for myself. My best flies are big balsa wood poppers, wich I use with #10 equipment to get some big peacock basses.
I'm sry if I posted this post in the wrong place and feel free to remove it somewhere else - still getting used to your forum.
Bellow r some pics of my poppers - feel free to give an opinion

Click the image to open in full size.

And to show how big they are:
Old 02-18-2009, 09:32 PM

rmooney is just really nicermooney is just really nicermooney is just really nicermooney is just really nice
Default Re: Hello to all and Peacock Bass Poppers.

those flies are awesome! i WISH i could catch a couple peacock bass, theyre such a unique fish. but yeah, those poppers look really great. did you paint them yourself? either way, theyre real good! welcome to the forum.

rob
Old 02-18-2009, 09:35 PM

BlueDun has a spectacular aura aboutBlueDun has a spectacular aura about

Welcome to NAFF!

Your flies look great! Did you paint them yourself?
Old 02-18-2009, 10:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmooney View Post
did you paint them yourself?
I painted them with the help of my wife. She paints even better then I do, so, sometimes she fixes some mistakes I do...lol. Btw, the popper is all hand-made - I think I forgot to tell that - unfortunately, we still have to buy lot of stuff from USA, what makes tying for us a lot more expensive (like Krystal Flash, feathers, super hair...).

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmooney View Post
i WISH i could catch a couple peacock bass, theyre such a unique fish
Yes they are! I goota agree with u. But despite the fact that Peacock Bass r so comon around the place I live (and I do not live near the amazon river), I miss the "traditional" flyfishing I read many times in books and in fishing forum - like the salmon flyfishing. At least it sounds perfect. I hope I have the chance to try it someday.
Old 02-18-2009, 11:01 PM

rmooney is just really nicermooney is just really nicermooney is just really nicermooney is just really nice

wow thats impresive. those look better than popper heads ive seen in most stores.
Old 02-19-2009, 07:29 AM

jdorsey61 has a spectacular aura aboutjdorsey61 has a spectacular aura about

Fantastic poppers! I'm sure you could sell those and offset some of your materials expense. If you're interested, let me know - I would love to have one or two! BTW, welcome to the forum.

John
Old 02-19-2009, 12:47 PM

arfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud of

Welcome to teh forum and those poppers are killer man love the paint jobs,
Bear
Old 02-19-2009, 02:24 PM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi Renato,

Welcome to the forum. Those are very fine poppers that you and your wife are making. Not only do they look good but you have used some good techniques to make them attract fish.

I imagine you have access to some special feathers and fur from Brazil. If you are casting a 10wt fly rod you must be doing all right with your fishing. There is Salmon fishing in Chile that you might consider. Argentina also has some great trout fishing.

I hope you keep posting your flies and how about some photos of the fish you catch in Brazil. I think we all would like to hear about fishing in your country.

Frank
Old 02-19-2009, 07:06 PM

Thanks again everybody.
Quote:
I'm sure you could sell those and offset some of your materials expense. If you're interested, let me know - I would love to have one or two!
Sry John, but I can't sell some right now. All those posted are gone - some lost to fish and some I gave to a friend to try on really big amazon peacocks - I couldn't afford going there right now and I wanted to know if the poppers would last long. Unfortunately too much raining and high water level made him quit his trip too. But If I make some more I promise I let u know.

Quote:
I imagine you have access to some special feathers and fur from Brazil.
Frank, almost everything we have to buy from USA. Including those feathers, krystal flash, etc. That makes flyfishing here too expensive, cause we pay almost 100% tax in everytinhg.

Quote:
If you are casting a 10wt fly rod you must be doing all right with your fishing.
Not really. I only have a 6wt not very good rod. I made smaller poppers tyied on 1/0 fishinghooks for me and cause a friend of mine got really amazed, made those for him. I tryed casting with his 10 wt rod, but thats not something I'm proud to talk about
Btw, I posted those cause the first ones I made (on 1/0 fishinghook) didnt look so great (not that bad also) - I had to start with my right leg.

Quote:
I hope you keep posting your flies and how about some photos of the fish you catch in Brazil. I think we all would like to hear about fishing in your country.
My wife is about to give birth to our first son. So I'm not having that much time free. But I promise "I'll make a virtual fishing tour" in Brazil later. So you will get to know more 'bout fishing in Brazil.

To finish up (what a big post!!!), here goes some pics of not painted head poppers.

And first ones I made - never tyied those (except for some of the small ones):

Old 02-19-2009, 07:44 PM

MikeG will become famous soon enough

Do you carve all the heads?

I would love a step by step demo, those are really good looking poppers. If I could afford it I would fly down there with lots of material so you could make me dozens.