The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Warmwater Fly Fishing

Warmwater Fly Fishing Bass, Bream, Perch, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-06-2009, 05:04 PM

jackh is on a distinguished road
Default anybody go for gar?

i know its a trash fish but ive read they put up quite a fight. theres tons in the local bayous around where i live so id love to try and catch some. i got an 8wt setup for big bass bugs. is bass line alright? do i need any kind of special leader/tippet etc? i got a couple chartruese/white clousers ive heard will work, anything better to throw? thanks
Old 03-06-2009, 05:45 PM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future
Default Re: anybody go for gar?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackh View Post
do i need any kind of special leader/tippet etc?
Dood, they got more teeth than a hockey team.

Wait.

LOTS more.

You'll want to get the pike/barracuda leaders that have a steel bite tippet added onto the leader to have a chance. And then you'll still have a tough time because for Alligator Gar at least (the really huge ones) they start rolling when hooked, wrapping at least your leader and potentially your pricey fly line around their snout and doing truly evil things to it.

That said they are super aggressive at times and will fight like crazy.

If its spotted/longnose gar you're after, good luck. They're goofy and hard to fool.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 03-06-2009, 07:51 PM

dorian.ducker is just really nicedorian.ducker is just really nicedorian.ducker is just really nicedorian.ducker is just really nicedorian.ducker is just really nice

I caught a big one once when fishing for Reds that was so nasty when I got it in the boat that I just cut the line and flipped the thing over the side! It was flipping and rolling all around while snapping those long toothy jaws....quite a site to see! I wasn't fly fishing, just bait fishing for Reds with shrimp and that is what I caught him on. I was surprised he didn't bite my line off on the way in.
Old 03-07-2009, 01:13 AM

ya its more spotted gar that im goin for, not those big nasty alligator gars. and ya i know theyre pretty intense, such a nasty and odd lookin creature that i really wanna hook atleast one. ive read you cant really explain how good they are to catch you just have to do it lol
Old 03-07-2009, 06:09 AM

glassroddr has a spectacular aura aboutglassroddr has a spectacular aura about

We have longnose gar in some of the rivers up here. I find they are fun to catch. I use rabbit strip streamers unweighted( I catch them in just 2-3 feet of water. Your bass outfit should do fine. I don't use any kind of wire bite tippet, just 6 in. of spider wire. How big do they get down in Texas?

Marc
Old 03-07-2009, 07:49 AM

Sep is a glorious beacon of lightSep is a glorious beacon of lightSep is a glorious beacon of lightSep is a glorious beacon of lightSep is a glorious beacon of lightSep is a glorious beacon of light

I've got a buddy that fishes for them. He doesn't use flies, but instead a short piece of white nylon rope with the surface "roughed up" and some eye/fins marked on with a sharpie, I guess making it look like a shad. When the gar strikes, his teeth get stuck in the rope and he's "hooked". The challenge is unhooking it. It's usually a two man job, one holding the fish's mouth open with a spring tool and the other picking the rope out of its teeth. The gar goes back in after a good flossing and everyone's happy.

Sep
Old 03-07-2009, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by glassroddr View Post
We have longnose gar in some of the rivers up here. I find they are fun to catch. I use rabbit strip streamers unweighted( I catch them in just 2-3 feet of water. Your bass outfit should do fine. I don't use any kind of wire bite tippet, just 6 in. of spider wire. How big do they get down in Texas?

Marc
we get +/- 6ft alligator gar in the local bayou. im not goin for those though. ive floated over spotted gar bedded down in weeds before in local ponds and ive heard a 4ft spotted gar can get into your backing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sep View Post
I've got a buddy that fishes for them. He doesn't use flies, but instead a short piece of white nylon rope with the surface "roughed up" and some eye/fins marked on with a sharpie, I guess making it look like a shad. When the gar strikes, his teeth get stuck in the rope and he's "hooked". The challenge is unhooking it. It's usually a two man job, one holding the fish's mouth open with a spring tool and the other picking the rope out of its teeth. The gar goes back in after a good flossing and everyone's happy.

Sep
thats exactly what ive read. ive got some 16lb bonefish leader that i could maybe pair with like a "tippet" of 30lb braided maybe? idk what do yall think?

this site has a ton of info on fishing these crazy things
Fly Fishing West Georgia & Beyond
Old 03-07-2009, 10:08 AM

Sep is a glorious beacon of lightSep is a glorious beacon of lightSep is a glorious beacon of lightSep is a glorious beacon of lightSep is a glorious beacon of lightSep is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackh View Post
thats exactly what ive read. ive got some 16lb bonefish leader that i could maybe pair with like a "tippet" of 30lb braided maybe? idk what do yall think?

this site has a ton of info on fishing these crazy things
Fly Fishing West Georgia & Beyond
Go for it, Jack. And COOL gar fishing tips site. THANKS!!!!!

Sep
Old 03-07-2009, 11:13 AM

well hey, theres nothing worse than searching a forum and finding threads left unanswered, so i thought i post the link in here for yall following this and for future reference

idk why, but the fish is just so damn odd and ugly that i just have to catch atleast one. they look like prehistoric lol. i nice 4 fter would make a good pic!