The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Warmwater Fly Fishing

Warmwater Fly Fishing Bass, Bream, Perch, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-07-2007, 10:09 PM

GeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via AIM to GeorgeMcFly Send a message via Yahoo to GeorgeMcFly
Default Re: Best Fly for Bluegill ???

all nymphs ( hares ear, pheasent tail, copper john,zug bug, etc. ) all of um work for me!
also wooley buggers work also for bigger gills (black ,olive, and brown or whatever)

but my favorite way to fish gills is to use topwater flies! love to watch um attack!! terrestrial patterns are great!!! daves hopper kills! also beetles and spiders and ants. anything foam! dry flies also! the adams, royal wulff and prolly alot of the others had great luck on a parachute hares ear also.! come to think of it most stuff works??? just give the drys a lil twitch like a struggling bug and hold on!!! heres a couple foam flies I tied for some gills. both work. the spider works great! just added some peacock herl under the foam. even caught a bass on it!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg spider.JPG (92.6 KB, 129 views)
File Type: jpg ant!.JPG (71.7 KB, 120 views)

owner of the GL Fishing Forum.
Old 11-08-2007, 01:30 AM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

Right on man! I like throwing the foam flies at 'gills because they keep floating after a few fish. Try a yellow foam spider on a sunny day too.

Matching the color of fly to the color of sunlight shining on it really does work.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 11-14-2007, 11:50 PM

wlschindler is on a distinguished road

Bluegill are the guys that the bass are looking for, so frequently you find them in the same spot like grass lines, ledges, submerged trees, etc. They like LOTS of cover and structure so they can hide. One of the best places to find them is under boat docks. If you find 1 you will probably find at least 10. Keep moving! If they don't hit quickly, move over to another part of the dock or different grass line. Lots of fun, and best for starting kids into fishing (lots of action). Have fun. By the way, if you can't find a fly that they will take, put a worm on a number 10 or 12 hook -- deadly!!!!
Old 11-15-2007, 12:14 AM

GeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via AIM to GeorgeMcFly Send a message via Yahoo to GeorgeMcFly

if you tie flies you can make a aquatic or earth worm variants (san juan worm) using some chenile and thread with some weight. that way you are still flyfishing!

owner of the GL Fishing Forum.
Old 11-15-2007, 11:30 AM

tie one on will become famous soon enoughtie one on will become famous soon enough

If you are searching for a "San Juan" type of worm
try buying some "swimming nymph" hooks to tie the flies.

I use a swimming hook, .015 non-lead wire & some natural
nymph skin (looks like pale rubber band ). I'll wrap a portion
of the hook with the wire, tie in the nymph skin & wrap it
forward (overlap it slightly to form segment looking body).
Built a small head with thread, whip finish. Take a permanent
marker, typically a brownish-red & color the body.

Try one, they really look like worms.

Tie One On
Old 11-15-2007, 07:58 PM

Fishplease is on a distinguished road

Bluegill flies? No such thing as 1 favorite!
But if I had to play favorites, in order of most to least favorite.
1.Green al's foam hopper(12-14)
2.Bluntnose ball fly (10-14)
3.Black foam beetle(8-18)
4.Epoxy minnow(rainbow or brown trout, 8-10)
5.Blue Foam damselfly (8-16)
6.Green foam dragonfly (8-4)

I make all of those except the epoxy minnows.
Old 11-23-2007, 12:44 PM

flytyerjack71 is on a distinguished road

Been tying and teaching for over 60 years and the best pattern I've found for bream or bass is Chris Helm's Predator. We tye it in sizes 10---16 using 2mm foam from Wal-mart or any kraft store. Mustads 3906 or 3906b work great . Add a Krystal flash tail round robber legs at mid body and foam eyes we punch from shower room shoes .I like to use thread that matches the body plus we use the smallest dia 12/0. I'm tying some today for a show on Dec 1 here in Florida always have 200-300 tied.
Old 11-23-2007, 07:00 PM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Quote:
Originally Posted by flytyerjack71 View Post
Been tying and teaching for over 60 years and the best pattern I've found for bream or bass is Chris Helm's Predator. We tye it in sizes 10---16 using 2mm foam from Wal-mart or any kraft store. Mustads 3906 or 3906b work great . Add a Krystal flash tail round robber legs at mid body and foam eyes we punch from shower room shoes .I like to use thread that matches the body plus we use the smallest dia 12/0. I'm tying some today for a show on Dec 1 here in Florida always have 200-300 tied.
Hi flytyerjack71,

What show are you talking about in Florida? How about a picture of one of your Predators.

Frank
Old 11-24-2007, 09:54 AM

flytyerjack71 is on a distinguished road

The show is a FFF expo at the Villages of florida Life Long Learning Center on route 466 from 9-3pm sat Dec 1. The learning center is inside the High school's eastern most building
Old 11-24-2007, 12:17 PM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi flytyerjack71,

Thanks for the information. Can you give me the name of the school or the address would even be better?

Frank