The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Warmwater Fly Fishing

Warmwater Fly Fishing Bass, Bream, Perch, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-17-2006, 11:21 AM

tie one on will become famous soon enoughtie one on will become famous soon enough
Default Best Fly for Bluegill ???

I've been fly fishing a good majority of my 51 years & have flyfished for many types of fish over the years. One of my favorite, even though they are a smaller variety are Bluegills.

I was wondering if any of you have a favorite, or go to fly for these Fightin'
Little Guys" ?

Do you prefer top water, or a fly that acts more like a nymph? Or does it sink down ?

What size hook do you typically us for your fly ?

My father use to tie what he called the "water crickett" even though it in no way looked like a crickett. It had a black chenille body with white rubber legs. Put a couple of maggots on the hook, throw it out carefully & hold on :-)

What time of year do you also typically go after Bluegill ? Spring, Summer, Fall ? Please give me your thoughts.

Always in the Water,

Tie One On
Old 01-17-2006, 12:00 PM

fshfanatic will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Best Fly for Bluegill ???

I love the "Briminator"

Hook: Mustad 3366 size 8 or 10
Thread: Uni 8 to match dubbing
Eyes: Bead Chain
Tail: Bottom half of a hen feather
Body: Brown Rabbit dubbing, Spirit River Depth advantage dubbing, Lite Bright or Wapsi Super Brite Steelhead dubbing.
Hackle: Front half of hen feather. Speckle Brown or Whiting Blacklace hackle.

It was actually featured in the Winter edition of Southwest Fly Fishing..

This fly slays them!
Old 01-17-2006, 01:12 PM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

I'd say something medium dark with weight at the front with stuff sticking off of it that will move underwater in size 8-14. This could be a rubber legged damsel nymph, rusty squirrel nymph, or even just a fly with a chenille body, rubber legs, and a bead head. Floating beetle patterns can be a lot of fun too, but it will be a while bofore the surface action really heats up.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 01-18-2006, 12:41 AM

freeze69 will become famous soon enoughfreeze69 will become famous soon enough

last year my first year with a fly rod in hand. started tying my own later in the year. i however noticed on all the lakes that i hit that green was the hottest color. i tried to stay with anything that would work about 6in or so under the water. bluegills here in northern in. just killed them. another one that worked was a simple black, yellow, black or green if you don't have yellow on about a #10 hook. couldn't keep enough of them in my small but growing fly box.
Old 01-18-2006, 08:37 AM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

Small buggers are hard to beat too. And don't forget that trout-type dry flies can be killer as well. Panfish eat all the same bugs too!

Old 01-19-2006, 11:13 AM

tie one on will become famous soon enoughtie one on will become famous soon enough

Mike,

I'm interested in your "Briminator". I'm glad you added the recipe, but do you have a photo of what the fly looks like ?

I do not have access to that magazine you reference since I live in SE Michigan.

Thanks to all for your suggestions/comments on the "best bluegill fly". It seems as though if they are hungery they eat most anything you throw out.

Does anyone ever used "normal" trout flies for bluegill ? If so, what pattern do you typically throw ?

Thanks for all your input,

Always in the water,

Tie One On
Old 01-19-2006, 01:33 PM

fshfanatic will become famous soon enough

Here you go! I also tie one in Black without the front hackle in Black with black plastic eyes. My buddy calls it a tadpole and it slays them everywhere I have tried it.

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 01-19-2006, 02:16 PM
Super Moderator

Lots of trout flies will work. I prefer to use ones that aren't too small since sunfish have such small mouths. Hare's ear nymphs work really well. Foam dry flies are great because they will keep floating after being taken by multiple fish. Damsel nymphs are another great choice, since damsels tend to inhabit stillwaters.

Old 01-19-2006, 02:30 PM

Stan Wright is just really niceStan Wright is just really niceStan Wright is just really niceStan Wright is just really nice

Foam spider with rubber legs. Color? What ever is easy for me to see. Our bluegill are few and far between, so we rely on Red Devils. Weighing 1/2 to 3/4 pound they can be very aggressive and hard fighting... now if we could just train them to hit a floating fly.... LOL

Aloha,
Stan
Old 04-08-2006, 06:49 AM

Hairy Clipper is on a distinguished road

I usually go out in the spring and summer. Here in southern Minnesota it is hard to beat a McGinty with the red tail cut off. For some reason they are not too hot for it with that red tail on.

Hairy