The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Warmwater Fly Fishing

Warmwater Fly Fishing Bass, Bream, Perch, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-11-2009, 09:14 PM

NEMNflythrower is on a distinguished road
Default Canoes

This summer I plan on attacking some pretty small lakes from a canoe and was just wondering if any of you guys have fly-fished out of a canoe before. If so, how did it go?
Old 03-11-2009, 09:30 PM

Jakeway is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Canoes

I've done it many times. It worked fine if there was no wind, but wind really pushed the thing around. They can be tough to anchor properly as well, unless you rig an anchor point on bow.

I recommend you look at a fishing kayak...much better than a standard canoe frommy experience. Look at the Native Ultimate. It's really more of a one-person canoe than a kayak. Very stable and you can stand and fish from it. if you aren't too big of a person, they have one that's only 9.5 feet long.

Kayaks: Just part of the drag system
Old 03-12-2009, 10:44 AM

arfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud of

I have fly fished from a canoe mnay times and done great, matter of fact went on two canoe trips last summer here in AR. Ofcourse not all canoes are made the same, the wider the bottom the more stable they will be. The wind does push them around, but on the same hand when you are rowing they cut through the wind alot better then a John boat. As for the kayaks I have nevere fished from one or even been in one, but I hear alot of folks like 'em.
Bear
Old 03-12-2009, 11:26 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

I fish out of both a canoe and a kayak
For big water I'll always choose the kayak. They're faster, better handling in the wind and rough water, and very stable.... as long as you're sitting still anyways.
For small weedy ponds where I won't be traveling far or fighting too much wind, I'll take the canoe. With a canoe you can still get into the same tight places, but you're sitting up higher and can see much better. Plus if your canoe is stable enough, you can stand to cast and fish or pole your boat rather than paddle.
An additional benefit is you can bring along a buddy or just have extra room to kick back and enjoy the day
Old 03-12-2009, 11:50 AM

Jackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant future

For small lakes you're not beating a one man pontoon!
With fins on there is no need to ever put the fly rod down to swap it for oars or a paddle. A few kicks and you're oriented exactly the way you want. Anchoring is rarely needed as the fins allow you to hold position against wind or current.
The biggest plus is, they are TOUGH to capsize!
Old 03-12-2009, 04:05 PM

FrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond repute

There are canoes, and then there are canoes .
For every guy that tells me his kayak is faster, a race is on. Every time
a kayaker tells me that canoes get blown around in the wind, I ask, "Well
why isn't mine?"

My first canoe (1978) was a Sears piece of junk: tippy and slow. Next came a Coleman: slow and oil-canned like crazy. Fast forward to 1996, and we
buy an Old Town Guide. Better, but not nearly as nice as my sailboat in
New Jersey's bays .

Two years ago we went on the quest for a decent fishing canoe. I bought
an Old Town Charles River. Lighter and faster than the previous canoes, but
not as fast as my son's 10' cheapo kayak. I returned it to the Jersey Paddler (best place in the world to buy canoes/kayaks), and bought a
Bell Canoe Works Northwind : 16'6", ash gunwales, cane seats, royalex
hull, assymetrical hull design, and a good bit of "tumblehome". Weight is 62lbs,
and it's beautiful. My son was home the following week, and I kicked his kayak's butt so badly, I had to go out and buy him a fiberglass touring kayak!
I really felt bad, and he looked totally bummed.

Here's our beloved canoe:
Click the image to open in full size.

Canoe advantages: Carry more than one person (helpful if you become too
tired to paddle!!!); carry all the gear you'd ever want; you can stand, but I'd
recommend only standing halfway to stretch), easy in and out; higher seating
position improves visibility; option of sitting on seat, floor, lying down, etc;
good canoes are fast and stable.

I was terrified of the old Grumman canoes, and we were always tipping them
during summer camp. The Bell Canoe Works canoes are more expensive than
most of the sporting goods store junk, but we bought ours as a demo...for
$850. Actually, they weren't sure that it was ever used as a demo, but they
gave me that price anyway! The Old Town Charles River was $950, so I got
money back, and a much better canoe.

I don't want to offend, but most of the kayakers I paddle past haven't tried
the newer or better canoes. I hear the same thing from nearly all of them, and then paddle right past them ! I like kayaks, my son likes kayaks, but
our canoe serves us well. We fish lakes quite a bit with the canoe, and the
idea of getting in and out of a kayak with chestwaders on seems awkward
at best. Getting in and out several times per trip seems like more work than
play. Face it, casting from a sitting position is never your best stance, so
we like to reach a spot, and get out and fish. We may hit seven coves in a
day, and throwing a leg over the side is simple.

BTW: I use a 3lb folding anchor, and usually tie it off at whatever thwart is
closest to me. It has always held, and I go out on very windy days. We sail, and anchor overnight. Anchoring requires knowing the water depth, and then
using the correct amount of anchor line.
Old 03-12-2009, 08:37 PM

NEMNflythrower is on a distinguished road

Thanks guys, lot of good info to get my ready for the summer
Old 07-15-2009, 09:20 PM

dsk10 is on a distinguished road
Re: Canoes

I am in my 70's and find a canoe more comfortable and I can carry all my junk. I have a plastic high back swivel bass boat seat and use a 96" kayak paddle and sit in the "front seat" and paddle the canoe backwards (front seat is closer to the center). Make yourself a sea anchor (holes in bottom) out of an old bucket(weight one side and foam the opposite side) with a 5ft rope on a S hook to attach to rail based on wind direction. Same S hookup for your anchor.l You sit higher which aids casting and I find the Grumman 15ft as stable as my open kayak and alot more comfortable. I fish both small and large lakes. The kayak paddle is much easier to use on windy days. Give it a shot and enjoy.
Old 07-16-2009, 08:03 AM

SkipS is on a distinguished road

I flyfish from a canoe 2 to 3 times a week.I have an Old Town Pack,a 12' solo canoe that only weighs 33 lbs.Its great for ponds and tracks very well.With a sitbacker canoe seat its very comfortable to fish.This is my 3rd canoe and ive flyfished from all of them.No,I cant stand up in it and fish but standing only makes you more visable to the fish.There are stableizers available that make it impossible to overturn your boat.A canoe is my first choice for a recreational boat.Its easy to load in the bed of my PU truck and goes anywhere theres water.
Old 07-16-2009, 09:43 AM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi to all,

You will also find the canoe dryer than a sit-on-top Kayak.

Frank