The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Warmwater Fly Fishing

Warmwater Fly Fishing Bass, Bream, Perch, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-12-2009, 09:43 PM

txbevo has a spectacular aura abouttxbevo has a spectacular aura about
Default Rounding Out the Rod Collection

I am trying to round out my rod collection and want some opinions as to whether or not I need to get another rod. Right now I have a 3wt, 4wt, 5wt & 6wt. That has been sufficient for the trout, bluegill and pond bass I have managed to catch so far. What I am wondering is do I need an 8wt? I plan on doing more bass fishing in some places where I have a chance at fish 4lbs & up. Places like Lake Fork (Texas) and Purtis Creek (Texas) as well as some private lakes and ponds. It may very well be that I will never catch anything larger than 3lbs. However, if I am targeting bass and trying to catch them in places where some big ones live, do I need to go with at least an 8wt? I understand that when I am targeting BG I will go with lighter weight rods and take my chances if I hook a large bucketmouth.
Old 03-12-2009, 10:56 PM
Super Moderator/Fly Swap Coordinator

peregrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Rounding Out the Rod Collection

Well...

with the rods you already have, if you wanted to add another one down the road at some point the 8 would be a good choice. The main thing it'll do for you is let you throw larger flies like bass bugs and poppers a little easier and let you steer fish out of heavy cover if you need to a little easier. It would also be a dandy rod for SW fishing if you take trips to gulf for reds and specs, and if you have FW stripers around it would be good for them too.

But your 6 should also be fine and you can make it work. I'd start out using stuff like size 6 or 4 poppers instead of the larger more wind resistant 2-1/0 bass poppers that you could toss more easily with an 8 wt, and use a 7 1/2 to 8 foot heavy leader, shortening it down to 6' if you need to. See how it works for you. And if you have a boat you can usually get close enough that casting distance isn't a problem.

As far as the size of the fish goes, with bass it's more of a question of managing to keep them out of heavy cover--- big or small-- on a 6 or an 8, and if you can do that, and it's meant to be, you'll catch em, even if they're 20+ lbs.

mark
Old 03-12-2009, 11:55 PM

GRN will become famous soon enough

Yes, 8 is the perfect next rod, IMO, from the info you have offered.

I choose fly rods the same way I do women, motorcycles, and cowboy boots...
go with what ever feels good, and keep on hand as many as I can afford
Old 03-13-2009, 07:57 AM

rag will become famous soon enough

You have too many.......I'll help, send me some.
Old 03-13-2009, 08:03 AM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

An 8wt would indeed be the next one needed. It will help throw the larger flies that larger bass find most appealing, work better on windier days, and provide more power when you need to horse fish out of heavier cover.

There's also this amazing fishery called the Texas Coast where it will be ideal and will make you forget about bass altogether for a while. I'd suggest getting a reel for your 8wt that can hold up in the salt, like a Sage 1680 or a Lamson Velocity or Konic. Most any rod will work, you just rinse them thoroughly after fishing.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 03-13-2009, 11:15 AM

BigNick is on a distinguished road

Go with an 8 wt in a salt water rod. Stainless hardware and minium maintance. Get a really good salt water reel (may cost more than the rod) and you can target the big bass and also the Red fish on the coast. I found a Courtland Endurance on closeout for less than a $100 bucks. It's really stiff (or fast if you perfer) but I uplined it with 9wt and it really reaches out for those Red fish.
If you happen to hang a big bass in the timber you'll need a stiff rod to horse him out(and heavy leader) otherwise I like the small rods. In open water you just have to play him out. Good luck
Big Nick