The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Warmwater Fly Fishing

Warmwater Fly Fishing Bass, Bream, Perch, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-14-2009, 07:29 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Sage bass rod

Andy
While you and I definitely agree that Sage is trying to pull a fast-one on the bass fly fishing public, I do agree with their concept that a short, stout rod is best.
IMO, the two most important aspects of a bass fly rod are that they are able to cast large, air resistant flies, and that they can do it very accurately.
IMO the sage rod ( and probably a good many other rods that I've never cast) do this very well.
I just don't condone their obvious marketing inaccuracies ( lies)
Old 03-14-2009, 09:06 PM

MikeG will become famous soon enough

For years the short, stout rod was the main choice of muskie fisherman all over the northwoods and Canada. There is a shop in Wisconsin that has a large assortment of rods they use to use in the 50s and 60s. Basically they are pole sticks with guides on them. But today we prove that longer rods in the 7'6", 7'11", and 8'6" work better for throwing muskie lures. The largest and heaviest muskie lures are thrown on 8'6" rods; more stout, long rods. If we apply this to fly fishing that longer rods help you cast better then what is the point of these sage bass rods. If we study the dynamics and physics of the fly cast in the terms how the rod moves and how that movement equates to casting large streamers, we may find out that longer the better.

Think about it in this degree too, light weight rods in the 00, 1, 2, 3, and 4 range are very popular in shorter lengths. At work we have a 6'6" fly rod that is in a 2wt. Not think about high weight rods 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, and etc are standard 9'.

My personal opinion on the subject, according to how I know how a rod flexes in a cast, the longer the better. Correct me if my logic is flawed in any shape or form.
Old 03-14-2009, 09:15 PM

Dixiejack has a spectacular aura aboutDixiejack has a spectacular aura about

I started fly fishing when bamboo and glass were the only rods and most of the lines were braid and silk. In the South fly fisherman were considered an odd lot. Thru the magic of advertising, clubs, etc. fly fishing became an elite game. It [fly fishing] is no more mystical than fishing with a cane pole, cork, sinker, and bait. It has become a big business just like B.A.S.S and all the companies that promote it. Don't get me wrong, everyone has to make a living. It seems to me that in some cases fly fishing has become a p***ing contest. You know the old saying about the difference between men and boys and the price of their toys.

I started fly fishing at the ripe old age of eight (56 years ago) under the tuteledge of my father. Pulling out the fly rods depended on the "conditions." We usually started out casting plugs that are now collector's fishing gear.

All this to say that who gives a damn about tournament rules. Play the game if you want to fish for big money. Or if you just want to enjoy a day on the water, fish with what ever you want. Since this is a fly fishing forum, pull out your Orvis, Hardy, or Walmart special and go have fun. That is what fishing is about.
Old 03-14-2009, 09:18 PM

By the way I have a Sage smallmouth bass outfit. I bought it to fish for tarpon in some spawning areas I fish when I get down to the East or Gulf coast.
Old 03-14-2009, 09:38 PM

qualey99 is on a distinguished road

Well, I am an average weekend warrior who has recently purchased a Sage largemouth rod. Last weekend, I had the opportunity to use it on Caddo Lake in Louisiana, and after about 2 hours, I switched to my Sage 8 wt 9 ft, and was much happier with my presentation. I did not get a strike on either rod, but I enjoyed my Sage 9 ft 8 wt much more. Today, I caught 2 bass, 1 lb and 2 lb on my 3 wt in a pond. I am happy with life as it brings spring, and the opportunity to continue pursuing fly fishing in warm waters.
Old 03-14-2009, 09:48 PM

I like to comment on the fact of "warmwater" fly fishing. Up north especially in Canada when I go catching smallmouth is definitely not in warm water. Can someone explain that concept?
Old 03-14-2009, 10:06 PM

Maybe it has to do with the specie of fish.
Old 03-15-2009, 08:26 AM

mojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rip Tide View Post
????
I've fly fished for bass for over 20 years and I'm not the only one.
There's a rich tradition that goes back to the days before spinning and even level winding reels.
American Indians fished for bass with a large 'bassbug like' 'bob' fly before recorded history
To even imply that these new sage rods are at the forefront of some new fly fishing movement is a laughable.
Sorry Riptide, but just because you have fished for bass for 20 years doesn't me the rest of the country has. Fly fishing's main target has been trout. I'm not saying others don't fish for bass or other species, but because of the rods and the hype, there are tourney's out there that are starting up because of the interest and the "new" rod designs and people are buying the rods. The new rods are making a splash- you, FFAndy and others may scoff and laugh, but you've noticed it's caught your attention along with a hell of a lot of others. Laughable? Maybe you better check into the growing trend of flyfishers fishing for bass nationwide not just in your little corner of the universe. So there's another rod out there. Big deal. Is the two handed rod/spey or switch rod next on you guy's list of put downs? There's a lot of hype with them too.
Old 03-15-2009, 10:17 AM

Fly fishing for carp has gotten quite popular in recent years, just like bass fishing. In 10-20 years we may see all the purists throwing tantrums in their fly tying clubs while the sport switches to something other than trout.
Old 03-15-2009, 02:59 PM

flyflingerandy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojo View Post
Sorry Riptide, but just because you have fished for bass for 20 years doesn't me the rest of the country has. Fly fishing's main target has been trout. I'm not saying others don't fish for bass or other species, but because of the rods and the hype, there are tourney's out there that are starting up because of the interest and the "new" rod designs and people are buying the rods. The new rods are making a splash- you, FFAndy and others may scoff and laugh, but you've noticed it's caught your attention along with a hell of a lot of others. Laughable? Maybe you better check into the growing trend of flyfishers fishing for bass nationwide not just in your little corner of the universe. So there's another rod out there. Big deal. Is the two handed rod/spey or switch rod next on you guy's list of put downs? There's a lot of hype with them too.
Alan, the two handers have a LONG tradition over in Europe chasing salmon and trout. Nothing wrong with that. The issue I have with these short thundersticks being labeled by Sage for tournament use, is the bold faced lie that Jerry Siem's people made when they put that into their advertisement. Also, why the hell have they called the 230G a Bluegill? That is like me calling my 1wt Orvis a Tarpon.

Sage did not do their homework, and that has been proven. I would like to see them come out and admit their faults. I, for one, will not buy a Sage rod because of the lies in their ads. These Sage Bass rods may fit under tournament regulations, other than the fact that they are fly rods.

Bluegill Snob

Andy

Check out http://ultralightflyfishing.yuku.com/