The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Warmwater Fly Fishing

Warmwater Fly Fishing Bass, Bream, Perch, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-15-2009, 08:26 PM

mojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant future
Default Re: Sage bass rod

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyflingerandy View Post
Alan, the two handers have a LONG tradition over in Europe chasing salmon and trout. Nothing wrong with that. The issue I have with these short thundersticks being labeled by Sage for tournament use, is the bold faced lie that Jerry Siem's people made when they put that into their advertisement. Also, why the hell have they called the 230G a Bluegill? That is like me calling my 1wt Orvis a Tarpon.

Sage did not do their homework, and that has been proven. I would like to see them come out and admit their faults. I, for one, will not buy a Sage rod because of the lies in their ads. These Sage Bass rods may fit under tournament regulations, other than the fact that they are fly rods.
Andy, we went over this before. You keep saying it's a 9, 10 or 11w line because of the grain weight. In a standard fly line yes, maybe they are that weight, but these ain't your standard lines.
If you take a spey rod, say a 7/8 weight is it a true 7/8 weight? Not at all. Not in standard AMFTA terms. The spey line is a lot heavier than a standard line. You want to throw a standard line with a 7/8 spey, you'll have to use an 11w or 12w line to load it. The Sage bass rods (under the 8' limit) will be used in bass tourneys.They already are. Like previously posted, not all tourney's are B.A.S.S tourney's. Just because Bubba says he won't let fly rods in, doesn't mean others won't and doesn't mean there won't be offshoots starting up.
Maybe the B.A.S.S. guys don't want to get their ass whupped by fly rodders.
Guys I know love these things. I've got friends that bought them last year and float the Green, and HF. Out of a drift boat they love the length. Same with some of the guys using kayaks. The short length of the rod is complimentary to the kayakers.
You don't like them because you think Sage lied to you. Have you written Sage and told them you think they lied in their adds?
Do it and post what they wrote you back. I'd like to see their answer. It's an interesting subject.
Old 03-15-2009, 11:35 PM

FlyRichardFly will become famous soon enoughFlyRichardFly will become famous soon enough

I really don't think that bass tournament guys would use a fly rod no matter what length it is.
They yank the fish in as fast as they can with heavy braid and a soft plastic senko and flip them in the boat so they can catch another one.
A flyrod is a wonderful, slow, relaxing way to fish.
I'm a fly fisherman, and it gives me so much pleasure. I prefer a regular 9' rod and as light and fast as possible.
When Frank said "in the tight mangroves a short rod is better" .... come on!! If a fly fisherman can't cast a 9' rod close to a mangrove tree, well maybe he needs some practice! LOL
Everyone I know who fishes from a yak wants a 9' flyrod. It's very easy to handle.
Sage, and I love them, tried to push a stupid gimmick on us.
A 7'11" ten wt for smallmouth bass? That is just so stupid.

"People are crazy, times are strange"
"I'm locked in tight, I'm out of range"
"I used to care, but things have changed"
- Dylan
Old 03-16-2009, 07:25 AM

flyflingerandy is on a distinguished road

Why did they name them BASS, rather then Bass? In all capitals it hints at the Bass Anglers Sportsman Society.

As far as I know, Spey lines are measured in grains for the most part, and have only recently been assigned numerical line #s. Many local tournaments do not have a length limit, so why the 7'11" rod? I will tell you why. BASS specifically says, under 8'. That is why.

Sage has lied to the industry as a whole.

Bluegill Snob

Andy

Check out http://ultralightflyfishing.yuku.com/
Old 03-16-2009, 07:25 PM

mojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant future

Yes, you guys are right. Sage lied. Kayakers love long rods. A 7'11" smallmouth rod is just a stupid gimmick, BASS is spelled bass and Sage didn't do any homework. I apologize. I'm wrong.
Sorry.

Not really. I'm not that big of a Sage fan, but for a company that sells more rods in the world than anyone else, I think they do their homework, don't lie and have sold a crapload of these rods or they wouldn't have introduced a new one this year and know a little more that us forum members about fishing and yes Andy, marketing.
I say if you don't want to buy one, don't buy one. If someone wants one, I could care less if he bought one. All these rods out there have their niche in fly fishing.
Old 03-16-2009, 10:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojo View Post
Yes, you guys are right. Sage lied. Kayakers love long rods. A 7'11" smallmouth rod is just a stupid gimmick, BASS is spelled bass and Sage didn't do any homework. I apologize. I'm wrong.
Sorry.

Not really. I'm not that big of a Sage fan, but for a company that sells more rods in the world than anyone else, I think they do their homework, don't lie and have sold a crapload of these rods or they wouldn't have introduced a new one this year and know a little more that us forum members about fishing and yes Andy, marketing.
I say if you don't want to buy one, don't buy one. If someone wants one, I could care less if he bought one. All these rods out there have their niche in fly fishing.
I doubt that Sage did their homework. They did lie, and the rods are not legal for tournament use in any BASS sanctioned tournament, which is how it is written on the rods. I have a hard time seeing how a company can tout their rods as tournament worthy when they are illegal for use in the tournaments held by the sanctioning body they named the rods after. I am awaiting an email back from Sage on these rods.

Bluegill Snob

Andy

Old 03-17-2009, 06:57 AM

kevino is on a distinguished road

Jeez, some of you kids sure are wound tight.

I have the largemouth (330 grain) rod and like it a lot. I like the 7' 11" length. I like the proprietary line it comes with. I can cast big ol' bass bugs all day like nobody's business. I'm a beginner fly fisher but not a beginner fisherman. I don't fish tournaments....BASS or otherwise.

Marketing? Lies? Sometimes you have to cut through the ****. The Scott Warmwater series touts the same stuff..."tournament legal".

If you don't like being lied to and want a short rod buy a Reddington Predator. I'd like to see what the 8 foot 6wt for 199.00 is all about.
Old 03-17-2009, 01:53 PM

FrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond repute

Here's what the guys at Leland Fly Fishing have to say: Sage Bass Fly Fishing Rod Review

While they say it's designed to be tourney legal, they also point out that doesn't mean all
tourneys will allow them. They essentially say it's a nice rod for fishing
bass .
Old 03-17-2009, 08:08 PM

Dixiejack has a spectacular aura aboutDixiejack has a spectacular aura about

I could care less about Sage's advertising. This is the first and probably last Sage rod/reel/line that I buy. I tried one out, like the way it handled and bought it. I don't fish tourneys. I fish for fun. If any of you feel like you been screwed over by Sage and want to get back at them, send me your Sage rods and reels. My fishing club can use them to teach kids the joys of fly fishing and hopefully keep them out of trouble.
Old 03-18-2009, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevino View Post
Jeez, some of you kids sure are wound tight.

I have the largemouth (330 grain) rod and like it a lot. I like the 7' 11" length. I like the proprietary line it comes with. I can cast big ol' bass bugs all day like nobody's business. I'm a beginner fly fisher but not a beginner fisherman. I don't fish tournaments....BASS or otherwise.

Marketing? Lies? Sometimes you have to cut through the ****. The Scott Warmwater series touts the same stuff..."tournament legal".

If you don't like being lied to and want a short rod buy a Reddington Predator. I'd like to see what the 8 foot 6wt for 199.00 is all about.
The Scott is twice the price however, and Scott has effectively priced themselves out of the market. The Redington is a nice rod, but the Ross is the best for the price in this category of rods. Sage didn't dupe anyone, but their marketing is deceptive, which, I guess is ok now. I don't own a Sage and won't own a Sage unless I buy it on sale or secondhand. I cannot justify the cost of a new Sage rod that I would like.

Where in Sage's advertising does it say all tournaments will not allow these rods? I am curious since I have read the ads and advertisements in the catalogs.

Bluegill Snob

Andy

Old 03-18-2009, 03:12 PM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyflingerandy View Post
Where in Sage's advertising does it say all tournaments will not allow these rods? I am curious since I have read the ads and advertisements in the catalogs.
Dood, he didn't say that. He said that Leland's review mentions that. Cool off and stop giving more material to the old farts who like to b:tch about us "hot headed kids that can't even read".

24 is way too young to be such a curmudgeon.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.