The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Warmwater Fly Fishing

Warmwater Fly Fishing Bass, Bream, Perch, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-13-2009, 10:06 AM

flyflingerandy is on a distinguished road
Default Sage bass rod

Also, the Bluegill is a heavy 8wt line, Smallmouth is a 10wt line, and Largemouth is an 11wt line. Check the grain weights on them.

Here is an email from Chuck Harbin of B.A.S.S. that was sent to a friend of mine. I have changed his name for his privacy.

Here is an email to and from Charles Harbin.

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Friday, March 06, 2009 11:06 AM
To: Customer Service
Subject: rules

Are fly rods under 8 feet long allowed in B.A.S.S. tournaments?
Thanks.

From: Harbin, Charles B. (Charles.B. Harbin@bassmaster.com)
Sent: Friday, March 06, 2009 2:38 PM
To: aforementioned member
Subject: RE: rules

Fly rods are not allowed in BASS tournaments. Our rules state, under
Tackle and Equipment "Only one casting, spin casting or spinning rod (8
foot maximum length from butt of handle to rod tip) and reel may be used
at any one time."

Thanks,

Chuck Harbin
SR. TOURNAMENT MANAGER
BASS/ESPN OUTDOORS
407-566-2488 - OFF
407-557-0129 - CELL

Now, tell me who did the crappy legwork. Sage mentions these rods fit under the tournament regulations, all except the fact that they are fly rods. Hmm...

Bluegill Snob

Andy

Check out http://ultralightflyfishing.yuku.com/
Old 03-13-2009, 11:00 AM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton
Default Re: Sage bass rod

Hi flyflingerandy,

There are a lot of bass tournaments besides BASS. Many local bass clubs allow fly rods to be used. I think there are even some fly rod only bass tournaments.

I think Sage is hoping that BASS might change the rules to allow a fly rod. The problem is no Elite member wants to use a fly rod so I don't see the rule changing. That is unless Sage becomes a sponsor or some such thing.

The place the Largemouth rod may shines is mangrove fishing around Florida. You need a stout, accurate rod and the Largemouth rod may be a really good choice.

Frank
Old 03-13-2009, 11:08 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

I've checked up on this issue before.
While there are many non B.A.S.S. clubs that will allow fly rods
None of those have any rod length rule

Total marketing hype from Sage
Old 03-13-2009, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rip Tide View Post
I've checked up on this issue before.
While there are many non B.A.S.S. clubs that will allow fly rods
None of those have any rod length rule

Total marketing hype from Sage
For sure!

Bluegill Snob

Andy

Old 03-13-2009, 06:08 PM

mojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyflingerandy View Post
For sure!
Now before you guys throw the baby out with the water, check out the March/April issue of American Angler.
Yes folks, because of these rods, there is a small growing body of fly fishers that are starting to take notice of these rods and bass fishing. The first event was last year in Arizona. It started off with 17 boats. It's put on by Tempe's Arizona Flyfishing shop. It's going to happen again this year and I'm sure it'll be bigger. And why not. What's wrong with Sage, Scott and others having a bass tourney rod. Just because B.A.S.S. won't allow it, who's to say they're king of the hill. What are they afraid of anyway? A fly fisher coming in and winning a redneck tourney?
The prize money isn't anywhere like the big bASS tourneys are, but then again, they had to start somewhere. I have some bud's that love the new smallmouth and the bluegill rods. You can say what you want, but I'll figure that they're here to stay. Remember people said bamboo and fiberglass rods were ancient history and going the way of the Vega and Pinto? Yep and they were right weren't they.
Old 03-13-2009, 06:39 PM

jimw has a spectacular aura aboutjimw has a spectacular aura aboutjimw has a spectacular aura about

Just what i need a rod for every species of fish know to man
Old 03-13-2009, 06:48 PM

Shane Stroud is a jewel in the roughShane Stroud is a jewel in the roughShane Stroud is a jewel in the rough

B.A.S.S. thinks they're king of the hill because, well... they are. When it comes to televised, advertised, commercialized, and highly publicized fishing tournaments, you'd be hard pressed to find anybody doing more business than they are. I'd love to know the true total of sponsorship dollars dumped into a typical tournament they host. The prize money alone is pretty sweet.

As a redneck who just happens to use a fly rod for bass, I'd love to see B.A.S.S. allow fly rods. Some things just take time to catch on. There are lots of situations where the accuracy of my fly rod makes the difference between catching a big one and going home empty handed. Think of all those overhangs and ugly patches you can only fish with a roll cast, and almost nothing else.

I thought of this very issue when Sage first started advertising these rods, but since I didn't fish tournaments, I didn't care too much. I found that same statement in the B.A.S.S. rules, chuckled to myself, and went on about my business. I didn't see it as a big issue. And I still don't. It's not the first time a company made a less than 100% truthful statement. Most professional bass fishermen, redneck or otherwise, use baitcasters anyway. I'm not sure they'd give them up for a fly rod too quickly. Remember that time is a critical factor in tournament fishing, and it can often take longer to land a fish on a fly rod than on a casting rod. At least it does for me. Maybe I'm too afraid of breaking off that leader. Then again, I'm probably more afraid that my knots just won't cut it.

But from what I have heard, they're good rods for the money. If I didn't already have too many rods, (according to my wife) I would probably get one.
Old 03-13-2009, 10:58 PM

MikeG will become famous soon enough

They need to create a bass fly fishing tournament series and then challenge B.A.S.S. to a standoff. Best angler wins. It would be hilarious if fly fishing could kick their ass.

Truthfully I do not think fly fishing is taken seriously by pro fisherman, there are still too many purists within the sport. I hate to say this but less purists the better off as a sport we will be.
Old 03-14-2009, 09:10 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojo View Post
Yes folks, because of these rods, there is a small growing body of fly fishers that are starting to take notice of these rods and bass fishing.
????
I've fly fished for bass for over 20 years and I'm not the only one.
There's a rich tradition that goes back to the days before spinning and even level winding reels.
American Indians fished for bass with a large 'bassbug like' 'bob' fly before recorded history
To even imply that these new sage rods are at the forefront of some new fly fishing movement is a laughable.
Old 03-14-2009, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rip Tide View Post
????
I've fly fished for bass for over 20 years and I'm not the only one.
There's a rich tradition that goes back to the days before spinning and even level winding reels.
American Indians fished for bass with a large 'bassbug like' 'bob' fly before recorded history
To even imply that these new sage rods are at the forefront of some new fly fishing movement is a laughable.
You and I finally agree. There have been short heavy weight rods for decades, going all the way back to cane rods made about 7' 6/7wt, up to the Fenwick glass rods. Now, for Sage to claim these fall under the strict tournament rules, that is a bold faced lie. Most local tournaments do not have a length restriction. These rods are less than 8' long to fit under the B.A.S.S. regs, where fly rods will not be used anyway.

Bluegill Snob

Andy