The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Warmwater Fly Fishing

Warmwater Fly Fishing Bass, Bream, Perch, etc...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Rip Tide

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-18-2010, 08:33 AM

clouserminnow22 is on a distinguished road
Default Crayfish Pattern

Can anyone help me out with how to tie a mini crayfish? I've attempted them but never had any luck with getting them to look realistic, Please Help!!
Old 12-18-2010, 09:52 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Crayfish Pattern

I normally just use a woolybugger, but I like these too
Just don't make the claws as large as the ones in the demo.
The originator, Will Ryan, was very specific about that in his book Smallmouth Strategies for the Fly Rod

RYAN?S Soft Shell Crayfish | Fly Recipe | The Fly Bench
onthefly3 likes this.
Old 12-18-2010, 11:18 AM

ant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to behold

It's funny you should mention this, as we have a crayfish fly swap going on right now on the site. Here is my pattern that I've worked out.

Click the image to open in full size.

Claws: Brown Bucktail
Body: Rust dubbing
Legs: Black Saddle Hackle
Shell: Mottled Orange Thin Skin
FlyFishinado - My Fly Fishing Blog
Old 01-11-2011, 09:34 PM

304rodco has a spectacular aura about304rodco has a spectacular aura about

This is my favorite crawfish tie

Not at all small, but I haven't found that I need them to be smaller than a #6 or #8

www.304rodcompany.com
Old 01-12-2011, 04:58 AM

ChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud of

Ill be posting a step by step for this one in the tying forum (under share patterns) after I have the photos on the laptop.

Chris

The New Zealand Flysite

"the fight is for habitait. Once its continuation is assured the fish will largely look after themselves." KD
Old 01-30-2011, 01:04 AM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

Here's the pattern I came up with;
Dan's Crayfish <- Link
Old 01-30-2011, 10:01 AM

webrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to behold

Hey guys, I notice a lot of crayfish patterns are hook up, is this so they do not snag the bottom, and are you weighting them on the top side of the hook to make them fish this way?

Dave
Old 01-30-2011, 10:12 AM

wetflyguy is on a distinguished road

I put my weight on the top of the shank to make them ride hook point up

wet
Old 02-01-2011, 11:56 AM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by webrx View Post
Hey guys, I notice a lot of crayfish patterns are hook up, is this so they do not snag the bottom, and are you weighting them on the top side of the hook to make them fish this way?

Dave
If you look at my post right above yours, there is a link to my recipe. In it you see where I take 2" of .030 lead wire, fold it in fourths and tie it on top of the hook shank. The claws being splayed out and the tail pushing the eye up over stuff along with the point riding up makes this about the most snag proof fly I ever tied.

Last edited by Guest1; 02-01-2011 at 01:35 PM. Reason: Spelling like a second grader, from the short bus.
Old 02-27-2011, 06:56 PM

chuck s is just really nicechuck s is just really nicechuck s is just really nicechuck s is just really nice

molting crayfish - Google Search

note the pale coloration of soft shelled craws, a favorite when crayfish is on the fish's menu. Smaller craws are eaten readily whether or not they have recently molted so that's not a real big thing but I've found the pale bluish grey coloration pays off. One way to get a bit of flex in your fly is to tie the head on a hook shaft, then use a coupler to attach it to a small shanked, wider gap tail hook. I do like the eyes, or weight on the top of the hook as you need the snag proofing that a point riding up fly affords.
Chuck S

"I've traveled many roads and some weren't paved."
Will Rodgers

http://fishing-folks.blogspot.com/