The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Warmwater Fly Fishing

Warmwater Fly Fishing Bass, Bream, Perch, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-09-2011, 12:20 AM

raindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud of
Default Guess what I'm dreaming of?

Answer: Summer evenings with a hopper in the water... 'twas a good night, indeed....

Click the image to open in full size.

I was 3 beers in before I thought about doing some tying. I love hoppers:
A. Because they are so much fun to fish, and
B. Because you can really play with different patterns.

I typically have been a Joe's or Dave's hopper tyer, but recently started with foam (foam, period, not just hopper patterns...)

A closer view-- any suggestions?
Click the image to open in full size.

Mods-- feel free to move to appropriate forum if not this one.

Last edited by raindogt; 01-09-2011 at 02:26 AM.
Old 01-09-2011, 12:49 AM

Jimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant future
Default Re: Guess what I'm dreaming of?

Nice Raindog. That's neat the way that you ran the hook through the body and tied it below the shank. Is that your pattern? I'm guessing yes.
Those foam hoppers fish great, huh. They just float all day. I got a bunch of old timers fishing them last summer.
Old 01-09-2011, 01:34 AM

lancer09 is a glorious beacon of lightlancer09 is a glorious beacon of lightlancer09 is a glorious beacon of lightlancer09 is a glorious beacon of lightlancer09 is a glorious beacon of light

I've found a pattern similar to this online and they really are the bees knees when it comes to hoppers. they never sink and very easy to float another fly under. plus easy to tie and quick, the longest part for me is cutting out the foam.
Old 01-09-2011, 02:15 AM

raindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud of

Yeah, cutting the foam takes longer than the tie....

I'm new to foam hoppers-- you say they never sink, but how do they 'ride'? I have a feeling they won't sit naturally.... Either sit too high or something...

We'll see if the fish like them....
Old 01-09-2011, 07:20 AM

Pocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond repute

Ever fished a Chernobyl Ant in off-colored water after a rain; when everyone else thinks that the stream's blown out? I'd say they float just fine.

A lot of the older hopper patterns were developed before foam was available as a fly tying material. Most of the people here in the Poconos use foam ants, crickets, hoppers, beetles all the time; and this is a relatively "traditional" area, as far as fly fishing patterns go; a lot of Catskill influence still evident (same mountains / same streams; just two different states: Catskills = NY / Poconos = PA)

Here's a bit of trivia for you. Pocono comes from the Lenape Indian word Poco-hanne; which generally translates into "a stream between two mountains". If you've ever seen the Delaware Water Gap from the East, then you'll know how the name arose.

42031_26

Pocono
Old 01-09-2011, 08:31 AM

yatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud of

Raindog
Nice looking hoppers. I especially like the one with the red band around it.
You can find foam body cutters here to make you foam dealing much easier.
JS Fly Fishing: Rod Building, Fly Tying: Wing & Body Cutters

Yat's Blog: http://pleinaircolorado.blogspot.com/
Old 01-09-2011, 10:53 AM

lancer09 is a glorious beacon of lightlancer09 is a glorious beacon of lightlancer09 is a glorious beacon of lightlancer09 is a glorious beacon of lightlancer09 is a glorious beacon of light

they floated good for me. I fished them exclusively in still water because here in KC we don't have great access to moving water. The only thing I had a problem with was if I diudn't glue the hook the foam would twist, meaning the hook point was not straight down. Yours look really good, better than mine though, under the swap section I did a foam black nighttime one similar to these but added some hackle.

OH yeah, GO CHIEFS!!!
Old 01-09-2011, 01:45 PM

Lancer,
I know what you mean about the foam twisting a little. It eats up a ton of thread, But to keep the foam a little more 'true' I use a double or triple thread base (wrap the base of the hook two or three times.) before applying any materials. Also, when Tying it on, I noticed that a few wraps to position it, and then a final FIRM wrap will hold it fairly solid. I am new to foam (just started using it last year-- and I really only tie this time of year-- so I've done a dozen flies with foam total....) so I don't claim to be a definitive source, but I've noticed those few things. Lots of thread base, and it doesn't take many wraps to keep the foam in place. Also-- I'm using 140 denier thread. I can really put some pressure on it.
Old 01-09-2011, 02:16 PM

thenextlevel is on a distinguished road

There is nothing better than Hopper fishing. I have a box dedicated to nothing but hopper patterns. Yours look awesome, I'm sure the fish will be all over them!
Old 01-09-2011, 02:19 PM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute

Nice beasts Dogshould tie some and test them on big chub in summer