The North American Fly Fishing Forum

The North American Fly Fishing Forum (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/)
-   Warmwater Fly Fishing (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/warmwater-fly-fishing/)
-   -   The fish and the flies,,,,,GAR (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/warmwater-fly-fishing/9141-fish-flies-gar.html)

arfishinbear 04-26-2009 05:42 PM

The fish and the flies,,,,,GAR

4 Attachment(s)
OK, our state (AR) all tackle rec. for the Alligator gar is 240lbs and I have seen 4-6 footers in my lake while bass fishing, the other state records run from 36.5 lbs for the longnose and 6.12 for the shortnose and 11.12 for the spotted. Now picture your out in your boat on a hot summer afternoon and throwing bass bugs to the cover, you look over and see a 5foot fish laying just under the surface, turn and pick up your back up rod throw a cast just past his nose and ease the fly in front of him and he rolls on it, you pull tight and all hell breaks loose. Think about landing a 100-200 lb fish on fly tackle(could happpen in alot of southern states). The flies for gar are a little diffrent in that they have no hook, I ty them out of nylon rope(the white stringers wealmart sells) the teeth of the gar get tangled in the fly and thats how you lamnnd it, before I was told this, I fished flies with hooks, maybe landed one out of 25 their mouth is just to boney for a hook to get a good hold. The next time you bored on a hot summer afternoon, give it a try, I think you'll like it.
Bear
The hooks are still in these to take the photo I will cut them off up past the bend before I fish them a BIG mean fish with lots of sharp teeth and a hook flying around is the last thing you want

arfishinbear 04-26-2009 05:46 PM

Re: The fish and the flies,,,,,GAR

2 Attachment(s)
Here they are with out the hooks

swirlchaser 04-26-2009 09:57 PM

Bear,
Good luck, I hope to see you posting a few pics of a monster Gar soon. The largest fish I ever landed on a fly was a 32lb Stripped Bass on a 9WT I can't imagine what a 200lbs fish would feel like...
P.S. Watch your fingers, count them before and after you land the fish. Make sure you come up with 10 both times:D

arfishinbear 04-26-2009 10:26 PM

So far the fingers are good, but I do have a couple scares on my right leg from a 4ft gar.
lol'
Bear

swirlchaser 04-26-2009 10:50 PM

2 Attachment(s)
lol, do they look like this pic? An angry Bluefish grabbed a hold of my buddy's shin. Photo first, then first aid.

glassroddr 04-27-2009 04:10 AM

Great looking flies Bear! Trout just started last Friday and now you got me thinking of gar for next summer. I think I'll go tie up some of those flies you posted.

Marc.

arfishinbear 04-27-2009 09:08 AM

Switl,,,,not quite that bad, thye didnt go real deep but was about 3-4 inches long, I was puting my knee down on him to hold him still and he swiped at my leg and nailed my knee and thiegh area. LOL

Glass,,,,Thanks, The white rope on the flies is lengeths of the heavy dudy white stringers walmart sells, Cut how ever long you want then pull the core out, the one with the three strands of white is made from the core of the stringer.
I usally put a little flash on them but dont go to crazy makeing them pretty, they usally only last a couple fish. I am REALLY hopeing I nail a BIGGGGG one this year.
Bear

dryflywaters 04-30-2009 12:43 PM

Ouch - I know in MI the Musky and Pike have nasty teeth. They are the two fish here you need to keep your hands away from.

Fun to catch on a fly rod though!!

arfishinbear 04-30-2009 01:00 PM

I allways watch those monster shows. The ones where they try to find things like bigfoot and such, and the new one river montsers, the other devening I saw one that a muskie or pike bit a guy on the lower leg while he was wadeing in shallow water up in MI or MN some place. Left a pretty nasty wound to.
Bear

Arkie24 05-01-2009 09:02 PM

Never thought about Gar fishing here in the ozarks. I know there a lot of them in the rivers up here.

Do you have a certain fly you like using for Carp? I was told if I can find the carp in the flats and get one to bite, a 12lb carp will take off to the deep and its like fighting a Tarpon! For us county boys that sound like a lot of fun. Very few fish in Arkansas will get down to your backing!:eek: