The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Warmwater Fly Fishing

Warmwater Fly Fishing Bass, Bream, Perch, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-28-2009, 07:42 AM

Tracker12 will become famous soon enoughTracker12 will become famous soon enough
Default Fly Presentation on Pan Fish

How do you all fish your sinking flies for pan fish. Poppers and dries are pretty simple. I have found that I just do a shoirt castr and raise trhe tip. When I hit the end I cast again and repeat the process. I tried different stripping rechniques ands just do not do as well.
Old 04-28-2009, 07:51 AM

arfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud of
Default Re: Fly Presentation on Pan Fish

Usally on sinking flies I do a very slow falling fly with a very slow retrive. I will just let the fly sink slow and not strip at all for up to 15-30 seconds, then do a short strip and let it settle again for 15-30 sec. . I have found some pretty good wet's for bream but black or black and white with rubber legs seem t odo teh best for me. olive damsel and dragon fly nymphs work great at times as well.
Bear
Old 04-28-2009, 08:39 AM

Tracker12 will become famous soon enoughTracker12 will become famous soon enough

I need to find some "slow" sinking flies with rubber leggs. Have any idea where to get them online.
Old 04-30-2009, 12:41 PM

dryflywaters will become famous soon enough

I actually just used a size 10 marabou muddler with a small cone head in white yesterday for panfish ad it was a blast to cast out and strip back slowly. I bet 95% of the time I hooked into a bluegill, sunfish or crappie.
Give it a try.
http://dryflywaters.com/
Old 05-01-2009, 09:07 AM

HuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant future
Send a message via Yahoo to HuronRiverDan

Tracker, do a google search for the pattern you want...Also take a look at your local W-Mart, they may have what you want.

Dan
Old 05-13-2009, 08:50 PM

Jakeway is on a distinguished road

I use beadhead Wooly Buggers or nymphs in size 8 to 12. I use a small "football" strike indicator anywhere from 18 inches to 6 feet above the fly, depending on water depth, time of year, etc.

I cast the fly, then fish EXACTLY like the indicator was a foam spider or small popper. I let is sit 30 seconds, then give it the slightest twitch. Then I twitch/pause/twitch in varying time, but never move the indicator more than a few inches at a time. I usually get a hit during a pause between the second and third twitch.

Kayaks: Just part of the drag system
Old 06-05-2009, 10:48 PM

Tommy1wt will become famous soon enough

I like fishing for tiny natives and panfish in small side channels that break off from the main stem. Sometimes you can find tiny riffles that run into tiny pools, and I get a lot of micro action in spots like this.

I'll just cast beadhead nymphs that range from #12 to #18 upstream into the riffle and let them run into the 8" deep "pool" and wait for the little hunters to strike.

This smallmouth here is definitely a virgin from a spot just how I described, caught on the south fork of the Elkhorn Creek near Midway, Kentucky. That's on a 1wt with 7x tippet. And I'm sure I was the only one fishing that set up in the Commonwealth of Kentucky on that day.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg tom 029.jpg (85.2 KB, 149 views)