The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Warmwater Fly Fishing

Warmwater Fly Fishing Bass, Bream, Perch, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-02-2009, 10:45 AM

arfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud of
Default EASY and good bream fly

I picked this pattern up from a guy in NW MO. years ago. It's a very easy but very effective fly for bream and crappie, I have even caught some nice bass on it. The trick to this fly is to get the weight on at the back of the hook so it falls hook eye up and the rubber wiggles as it falls and not to much weight, you want it to fall slow. I usally use .15 wire and only put 4-5 wraps on it. Also I have found its a good idea to put a drop of glue on the legs when u wrap then on.
The hook I used for these was a TMC 3761 I have found a 2xl hook helps keep the bream from swallowing it as bad as thus easier to get the hook out.
Bear
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1734.jpg (85.9 KB, 263 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1735.jpg (83.1 KB, 248 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1736.jpg (84.7 KB, 242 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1737.jpg (86.5 KB, 247 views)
Old 05-02-2009, 02:55 PM

bono is on a distinguished road
Default Re: EASY and good bream fly

cool flys thanks for the info on how to tie them
Old 05-02-2009, 03:24 PM

arfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud of

Your welcome and thank you.
Bear
Old 05-02-2009, 05:16 PM

Dixiejack has a spectacular aura aboutDixiejack has a spectacular aura about

Good looking fly. I do a lot of bream & crappie fishing in addition to bass. This would be a good fly to start tying with. Would you post a list of materials you used for the body? Now I need to figure out what equipment I need. The 1st fly would probably cost me a couple hundred bucks.

I have been wanting to get into fly tying but flies are usually so cheap. The only problem by not tying is that your fly comes along and there nothing like it on the market. I was thinking how this fly would work on a weedless hook.
Old 05-02-2009, 06:58 PM

Be glad to bud.
The hook is a TMC 3761 but any 2 extra long hook will work I use size 8-12
A weedless hook would be great, I cant find any small enough for bream, but you can make a weed guard with mono tied to the bend of the hook wraped around to the eye.
The body is just small chenille and a few wraps of .15 lead wire at the back
and the legs are small rubber strips.
It is a very easy fly to learn to ty and very simple to fish just cast it out and let it sink slow and then strip in a couple strips and let it sink again.
If ya have any ?'s on tying give me a holler be glad to help if I can.
Bear
Old 05-02-2009, 07:24 PM

Heres one with a mono weed guard
Bear
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1742.jpg (90.2 KB, 210 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1743.jpg (87.0 KB, 203 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1746.jpg (94.1 KB, 202 views)
Old 05-02-2009, 08:30 PM

like your idea of the weed guard, no problem hooking bule gills (pa slang) what pound test for the guard.thanks again

BONO
Old 05-02-2009, 08:36 PM

I have not used the weed guard but a couple times and it didnt seem to hurt the hook up ratio, I use 20lb for those so I can get a better hook set, I do the same weed guard on bass bugs but go to 30-40 lb mono
Bear
Old 05-02-2009, 10:13 PM

thanks Bear for the info will have to try your method,
Old 05-03-2009, 08:11 AM

Dixiejack has a spectacular aura aboutDixiejack has a spectacular aura about

Thanks, Bear for all the info. I like the weedguard idea.