The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Warmwater Fly Fishing

Warmwater Fly Fishing Bass, Bream, Perch, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-03-2009, 09:18 PM

HookEmHorns will become famous soon enough
Default Just an idea

Hey y'all,
I had an idea the other day, but I haven't tried it yet..

I posted the story about the catfish, and I thought that there has to be a better way to hook one of those fish.
So I instantly turned to the wooly bugger. Everyone knows that these can catch just about anything! But my idea for attracting them was maybe dipping one in a little bit of stink bait. I know that the fish here love that stuff and I didn't know if it would stick on there with a few false casts and stuff like that. What do you guys think? Any ideas are welcome!

Thanks y'all,
HookEmHorns
Old 05-03-2009, 10:36 PM

arfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud of
Default Re: Just an idea

I wouldnt want to be the one casting or standing next to teh one casting when that dip bait comes flying off that fly HAHAHAHAHAHA
I normaly dont scent flies but for catfish maybe some crawfish or shad spray scent that I use on bass lures wouldnt hurt. The thing with flyfishing (at least for me) is its more of a pure sport where you are tricking the fish with just a fly, no scents and baits and other wild stuff, if I want to catch lets say a cat fish with out the stress or work of fly fishing I take my casting rod and a jar of bipbait, if I want to catch crappie just to catch them I'll get my spinning rod and a bucket of minnows. When I was younger like 17 or so I even took a flyrod with a hook and lobbed it out with a chunk of hotdog on it the catch big cats with my fly rod, but now if I am flyfishing, I am flyfishing. All this is not saying you shouldnt try it though. I am defintaly a little purer on trouts and stuff then catfish and carp lol
Bear
Old 05-04-2009, 09:14 AM

swirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Just an idea

I think depth is more important than smell. Keep that wooly bugger down low and you'll find the cats.