The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Warmwater Fly Fishing

Warmwater Fly Fishing Bass, Bream, Perch, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-20-2009, 02:46 AM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Breaking off at the knot

I fish Bass alot. I tie my own leaders starting with a perfection loop at the rod end. I use blood knots to assemble the sections. To tye on the fly I use a trilene knot. All of these knots are 100% knots and never have a break at the knot. One thing you need to do is wet the line before you tighten the knots. Over heating when you tighten the knot can weaken the line. I can't imagine breaking three off at the knot even with a surgeons knot. Maybe you should set down and figure out what Gypsie (sp.?) you made mad.
Old 05-20-2009, 08:17 AM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakeway View Post
Bass with streamers and sink tip lines I use 18" 20# mono and 18" 12 or 10# mono. Tied with blood knot, if those break, you've got bad (old?) mono or are tightening the know without lube (spit) and you're burning the knot.

For floatign line, use a 7.5 ft BASS leader or 1X trout leader. No need for tippet until the leader gets to about 5 feet, then tie on 12# tippet with blood knot.
100% correct

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 05-20-2009, 08:52 AM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davo View Post
Got to agree on the surgeon knot. I'm ussually tying on new tippet for one client while keeping the boat in position for the other one. I have no problem with breakage and it is fast and easy.
Agreed. Make sure to lube those knots with spit or at least water before tightening them up. A lubed Dbl Surgeons will be MUCH stronger than a dry tightened Blood Knot. When both are tied properly, a double surgeons is like 95%, and the blood knot 98%. Given that the blood knot takes me 5x as long as the dbl surg, I'll give up 3% to save time.

One last note, adding fluorocarbon tippet to a mono leader gives me more breakage issues than anything else. Here's two ways I've found to minimize it: One, for a mono to fluoro connection, a triple surgeons knot is actually stronger than a double. (double stronger for mono to mono) Two, when adding fluoro carbon tippet, attach it to a point on the leader that is thicker than the fluoro.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 05-22-2009, 12:11 AM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

You do not need bigger line. I just went fishing for Smallmouth and used a hand made tippet. Again I start at the rod end with a perfection loop. I blood knot the sections together and tie the fly on with a Trilene knot. I used 2 lb Tectan line for the terminal end. I caught 8 Smallies up to 17.5 inches and never had a fish break me off. If it makes you feel more secure, use a little super glue on the knots. I didn't however.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg basson2lb2b.JPG (78.2 KB, 35 views)
File Type: jpg basson2lbb.JPG (71.6 KB, 24 views)