The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Warmwater Fly Fishing

Warmwater Fly Fishing Bass, Bream, Perch, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-16-2009, 03:33 PM

MikeG will become famous soon enough
Default Re: gar on a fly!

The best 'rope' flies or 'rope' lures are frayed nylon rope it gets caught in there teeth. My friend runs his own tackle company that sells only gar lures. He sells a set-up for fly fishing that comes with a small leader and a tail that is usually nylon frayed rope. The package comes with multiple tails different colors. I used it once and caught a some gars on it. Works great on a 6wt.
Old 05-19-2009, 12:56 AM

GeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via AIM to GeorgeMcFly Send a message via Yahoo to GeorgeMcFly

no steelie fishing this time. the steel are on there way back to the lake. the steelies are gone till fall. now its summer fish time. smallies and such. I was trying for smallies this time and got this. the gar are up in the river spawning along with the smallies and suckers. also seen tad poles, baby minnows and even geese with there lil ones. its just that time of the year i guess! lol

owner of the GL Fishing Forum.
Old 05-19-2009, 10:36 AM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

I was surprised that my buddy managed to land this thing on 16lb tippet, but he pulled it off- Trash on the Fly Apex Trash

Click the image to open in full size.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 05-19-2009, 12:03 PM

MikeG will become famous soon enough

That is an alligator gar different from the other gar. Alligator gar can grow big, some of the biggest every recorded were 10+ feet. That thing should of ripped that tippet up.

That site you linked 'trash fish' that is wrong, gar wouldn't be considered trash fish. Around here we would call trash fish, invasive species.
Old 05-19-2009, 01:34 PM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeG View Post
That is an alligator gar different from the other gar. Alligator gar can grow big, some of the biggest every recorded were 10+ feet. That thing should of ripped that tippet up.

That site you linked 'trash fish' that is wrong, gar wouldn't be considered trash fish. Around here we would call trash fish, invasive species.
Having grown up in TX and fished all my life, I'm quite aware of the critter known as an alligator gar. I think its handy that they call it alligator gar, since its different than other gar. Just like how spotted gar are different from other gar.

Click the image to open in full size.

I think you'll find that most people include carp, buffalo, suckers, whitefish, gar and a few others in the "trash fish" category. The British term is "rough fish", and true to the American tradition of being a bit less proper, we generally refer to them as "trash fish". (Do not misinterpret this rant as an endorsement of killing these species, or viewing them as unworthy of angling pursuit.)

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 05-19-2009, 05:47 PM
Banned

Sasha is a splendid one to beholdSasha is a splendid one to beholdSasha is a splendid one to beholdSasha is a splendid one to beholdSasha is a splendid one to beholdSasha is a splendid one to behold

Great pics thats awesome!
Old 05-20-2009, 02:22 AM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: gar on a fly!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyRichardFly View Post
Wow! A Gar way up there in steelhead country.
This Global Wacky Weather has everything screwed up.
What's next, bonefish up here in NJ? Already happened in N Carolina!
Great pix, as always, McFly........ please keep them coming.
A couple of points. Longnose Gar has a natural range of the entire Eastern half of the US from central Minnesota South. There has been no warming since 1998 and it has been cooling since 2002. 2007 was the largest drop in global temps since they have been keeping records. I would actually like a little warming, as it snowed three days in a row last week here. We got 3 inches the week before. If it snows one more time I may freak out. I went fishing today and I had to wear my winter jacket. Global warming my aching patoot.
Old 05-24-2009, 07:01 PM

twospots has a spectacular aura abouttwospots has a spectacular aura about

I've caught two gar in Ohio as well, one on a fly rod. I decided to use the nylon rope trick. either I didn't do it right or they don't work. Had four bites and none of them got their teeth tangled.
I stopped trying for them cause their boney snouts rarely hold a hook. Maybe going to a thin wire dry fly hook might do the trick?