The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Warmwater Fly Fishing

Warmwater Fly Fishing Bass, Bream, Perch, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-16-2009, 07:15 AM

Steelhead Junkie will become famous soon enough
Default Chubs????

I have learned that a river near my house contains chubs, which I caught during by early long-rod days......by dunking worms. My question is what flies should I use for these fish???? I assume they're bottom feeders by the shape of the mouth, and the river is decently muddy. Muddy enough that there is only a couple of places where I'd even think nymphs, and dries are pretty much out of the question in most areas. I figure that these fish are using their sense of smell to locate worms, grubs, and anythig else tht comes drifting down through the water.The waters a foot maybe a foot and a half visibility in the uppers stretches of the river, but I don't know theres fish in there, as I have never seen or caught,( ok, I prefished with worms I wasn't willing to take a long rod to a river like that without good reason,LOL. Besides, sometims its fun to grap a spinning rod, a can of worms and just go wet wading for chubs, bluegills or whatever, except for trout. ), anything up there. What flies should I use???
Old 05-16-2009, 07:56 AM

HuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant future
Send a message via Yahoo to HuronRiverDan
Default Re: Chubs????

I think I'D try a small nymph, if they live in a stream I'd bet they eat whatever is available. Go for it...

Dan
Old 05-16-2009, 09:25 AM
Super Moderator/Fly Swap Coordinator

peregrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond repute

Chubs will whack dry flies too, so anything you would use for a trout dry should work once the water clears up a bit--- it doesn't have to be crystal clear. They're usually not as picky as trout so something that floats well and is sturdy would be good in size 14-16. Good luck!

mark
Old 05-16-2009, 10:12 AM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,chubs are good companions for flyfishermen,they will take both dry and nymphs,for sure it'll be better when the water gets clear.They usually prefer dark flies on 14 or 16 hooks same for the nymphs.Fishing chubs on both techniques is great fun for it's a very supicious fish with a fantastic eyesight,it's big mouth is a good help when you fish it on light nymph on sight because you'll see when it opens and.... then closes it!Click the image to open in full size.here some of the ones I use.
Old 05-16-2009, 10:19 AM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute

Me again,I don't know if there are big ones in your river...here we can catch chubs up to 55cm and 2 kilos!but they're not as good fighters as trout of the same size....
Old 05-16-2009, 11:59 AM

Thanks guys!!!! This has been helpful Would this work for a chub dryAn extremely lifelike foam wasp from Bulgaria - Shark's Wasp - The sting - Global FlyFisher????

jbbfly, are we talkin' 'bout the same fish??? The kind I catch are usually long and semi-thin in body, have a carp-like mouth and a 9inch fish is big. Do they just get bigger where you are or............ They fight by snapping their body in a series of s or c turns. Feels good on a rod.

( 9inches would be like 22 cm)
Old 05-16-2009, 12:55 PM

Also, would they hit streamers???? By the look of their mouth, I'd doubt it, but I can fish a streamer pretty confidently. I can also cover water with 'em, and it is not hard to detect a strike on 'em.
Old 05-16-2009, 03:10 PM
Super Moderator

Click the image to open in full size.
This is the fish,I'm talking about...a friend of mine sometimes uses a streamer to fish...
Old 05-16-2009, 03:37 PM

MikeG will become famous soon enough

They will go for almost anything as long as it is near or on the bottom. We even took a small weighted undressed hook and put a piece of gum on it and the chubs went after that.
Old 05-16-2009, 04:03 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

I have caught some big creek chubs on streamers. If it is muddy fish light feathers with silver tinsel body or black buggers.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;