The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Warmwater Fly Fishing

Warmwater Fly Fishing Bass, Bream, Perch, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-17-2009, 03:29 PM

gjcordray is a jewel in the roughgjcordray is a jewel in the roughgjcordray is a jewel in the roughgjcordray is a jewel in the rough
Default warmwater species advice

I live in Denver, and have fly fished for trout my whole life. I am ready to start hooking into bass(mostly smallmouth but some largemouth), walleye, and crappie. I am looking for advice in two areas - flies to use and leader/tippet size. I will primarily bellyboat and use a fast action 6 weight. Fish size will be small to medium for all species. Any help would be appreciated.

Gary
Old 05-17-2009, 08:33 PM

Jakeway is on a distinguished road
Default Re: warmwater species advice

The traditional wisdom is to use poppers or deer hair bugs for bass, but I've caught more and larger ones on sttreamers. Any streamer you'd use on brown trout would work. Lately I've been using Zoo Cougars in yellow (that's what I used for the bass in the pic below) or brown. Olive and black Wooly Buggers in sizes 2 through 6 work well in my lakes. Also Clouser Minnows are always good. (The YouTube link shows my daughter catching a nice winter Sauger on a chartreuse Clouser Minnow.)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=joScWEdmNAQ

Smallmouth prefer crayfish and sculpin colors/patterns, while Laregemouth preferr minnows, worms, and leeches.

Click the image to open in full size.

Kayaks: Just part of the drag system
Old 05-18-2009, 08:56 AM

estrother has a spectacular aura aboutestrother has a spectacular aura aboutestrother has a spectacular aura about

You may also want to try some non-traditional choices. A few weeks ago while fishing for bream, I caught two 2+ lbs. largemouth bass with my Superfine 3wt. using a #12 flashback pheasant tail with copper rib and wrapped head. I caught them about 15 minutes apart in a lagoon. Big bass might only eat big things, but smaller bass often eat what smaller fish are feeding on.
Old 05-19-2009, 06:24 AM

Jakeway is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by estrother View Post
You may also want to try some non-traditional choices. A few weeks ago while fishing for bream, I caught two 2+ lbs. largemouth bass with my Superfine 3wt. using a #12 flashback pheasant tail with copper rib and wrapped head. I caught them about 15 minutes apart in a lagoon. Big bass might only eat big things, but smaller bass often eat what smaller fish are feeding on.
How true! You never know what's going to hit a small morsel. I caught this dude with a 4 wt while bluegill fishing, using a size 10 Brown BH Wooly Bugger.

I caught these dudes while fishing Wooly Buggers as well.

Kayaks: Just part of the drag system
Old 05-21-2009, 02:03 PM
Super Moderator/Fly Swap Coordinator

peregrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjcordray View Post
I live in Denver, and have fly fished for trout my whole life. I am ready to start hooking into bass(mostly smallmouth but some largemouth), walleye, and crappie. I am looking for advice in two areas - flies to use and leader/tippet size. I will primarily bellyboat and use a fast action 6 weight. Fish size will be small to medium for all species. Any help would be appreciated.

Gary
Gary, Since you've been trout fishing for awhile you probably have a ton of stuff that would be good. Just think large trout sized streamers and dries for bass, heavily weighted stuff for walleyes to get deep, and largish size trout nymphs 10-12, and small trout streamers 10-12 for crappie. All of your trout stuff dries nymphs wets and small streamers will be great for panfish like Bluegill.

Flies- Here's a mix of some specific flies for bass/crappie and some trout stuff you may already have that should work well:

Small mouth- to cover different layers of the water column:
Top water- gurgler size 6, as well as large dries like Stimulators, Grasshopper/Stonefly patterns and Wulffs
Mid depth- black marabou muddler size 6 and large trout streamers
Bottom: Chartreuse Clouser and some Crayfish patterns (or Brown over Orange Clousers) size 6
Black Bead head or Cone Head Woolly Bugger size 6 or 8 or any heavily weighted trout streamers, leech patterns etc.

Largemouth- the above flies will work well but you might want to add some bass poppers and a Dahlberg diver or two in size 6

Walleye- your deep water bass patterns (Clousers and woolly buggers etc) will work here if you can get them deep enough

Crappie- any trout nymphs you might have and/or small streamers (size 10 and 12) would be good choices.
Simple patterns like a bead head with marabou tails with a chenille body (or ultralight crappie jigs) would be good too.

Leaders- No need to be too picky. A 7 1/2' bass leader tapered to 1X or so should be fine, or make your own from regular mono fishing line as described in this thread by Rip Tide: http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/fo...not-10743.html

Hope this helps a bit.

mark
Old 05-21-2009, 02:55 PM

gjcordray is a jewel in the roughgjcordray is a jewel in the roughgjcordray is a jewel in the roughgjcordray is a jewel in the rough

Thanks for the great tips. It all makes good sense and sounds a lot less complicated than I thought it might be.

A question about tactics. I think I understand the jigging presentation that you might use with streamers, or the stripping action. How about with nymphs? If you are fishing blind to typical holding areas, do you fish deep or shallow? What kind of movement do you put on the nymph? When I fish for trout in lakes, I generally use small twitching movements or long strips followed by long pauses. I am probably overthinking this, but I like having lots of information before I just head out and start whacking water randomly.

Gary
Old 05-21-2009, 03:40 PM

GeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via AIM to GeorgeMcFly Send a message via Yahoo to GeorgeMcFly

I usually just dead drift nymphs with the current. for bass tho I usually use streamers like buggers and clousers.

owner of the GL Fishing Forum.
Old 05-26-2009, 06:26 PM

twospots has a spectacular aura abouttwospots has a spectacular aura about

you can get some very good advise from the guys in the fly fishing forum on
River Smallies.com :: Welcome to the River! as well. lots of good fly patterns too
Old 05-31-2009, 01:47 PM

darkcahill is on a distinguished road

All you have to do is remember a fish is a fish. When fishing Walleye in a river use the same methods you do for a trout. Works like crazy. How do you present streamers for trout, the same methods work for Bass. The holding water is virtually identical for all fish. All you have to do is convince yourself that you can do it. Here is a pic of what I mean.

Old 05-31-2009, 02:08 PM

rmooney is just really nicermooney is just really nicermooney is just really nicermooney is just really nice

for crappie, i like to use a tandem rig with a gurgler on the top and a black, bead head bugger under it. it works really well. heres a nice crappie and bass i caught with this rig.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bass1.jpg (95.4 KB, 135 views)
File Type: jpg crappie1.jpg (98.2 KB, 137 views)