The North American Fly Fishing Forum

The North American Fly Fishing Forum (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/)
-   Warmwater Fly Fishing (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/warmwater-fly-fishing/)
-   -   a mouse for bass (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/warmwater-fly-fishing/9988-mouse-bass.html)

GeorgeMcFly 06-15-2009 11:28 PM

a mouse for bass

4 Attachment(s)
gonna try this pattern on pond largemouth and river smallies. posted the recipes video on the fly pattern section. think it will work good for bass? simple to tie. its a 5 to 10 min job! rubber legs, foam and deer hair.

glassroddr 06-16-2009 06:33 AM

Re: a mouse for bass

Looks good! I'm always on the lookout for new bass bug patterns. I find most mouse patterns a lot of work to tie, but this one looks quick and easy:thumbsup:
And just in time for our local bass season opener!

Marc

MikeG 06-16-2009 06:38 AM

That should work well. I use mouse patterns in weed mess and lily pads pop it along the top and some large LM bass should pop up for it.

BigCliff 06-16-2009 09:05 AM

I also think it looks pretty great, and nice and easy. Only thing I would do different is just use a normal rubber band for the tail. Should be a little easier and look more realistic.

I'll check out the video and likely tie some up.

Flyfisher for men 06-16-2009 11:53 AM

Nice fly!

I might be copying that one. I like easy ties.

jpbfly 06-16-2009 11:55 AM

I agree with Big for the tail again:icon_wink...try it on trout too(I saw a german angler catching a 10 pound bow on a mouse:icon_surp)

FISHN50 06-16-2009 01:03 PM

Is that tied on a stainless steel hook ???

dryflywaters 06-16-2009 02:47 PM

Easy ties for bass are great. I find that the bass rip my flies apart quick. I also tend to hook into a pike or two when fishing for bass and they destroy flies so I like easy and quick ties.

GeorgeMcFly 06-16-2009 09:27 PM

2 Attachment(s)
ya this is easy to tie. never messed with deer hair or weed guards till that fly and If I can do it anyone can.. haha. I used it today for largemouth in a pond and caught a few smaller bass and even some gills. only fished it 40 mins tho then I hit the river and even had a river smallie take a swipe at it but somehow I missed it! he was a beast!!! :icon_sad: the just bass loved this fly and so did I! it casts far even with a 5wt and does not twist up your leader. the tail caught the hook a couple times but thats about the only con I seen to it. it also floated forever! I will try that tail. also a tail of pink chenille like joni's mouse would be killer on it. that mouses tial wiggles like a champ! the rubber leg tail worked decent tho. it wiggled some. here is a pic of a lil bass I got on it. how would you guys fish this pattern? like small strip strip strips? or a strip pause a few seconds strip pause??? I switched up my retrieves all day but still wasn't sure what was better.

Tracker12 06-17-2009 06:57 AM

I move my mouse with a constant one inch pull. It is very slow and seems to get good reactions. Pike and muskie love them.