4 wt or 5 wt for Northeast Panfish??

leon o

Reaction score
I'm looking to buy my first flyrod. This year I will have only a few hours a month to practice & fish, so I decided to pursue panfish in my local ponds. To keep it fun, I'm more interested in quantity than quality (size) of the fish.

Since I'm still learning and this will be my first rod, I've been given advice to stay at least 4 wt. I've seen some attractive closeouts & demos at very attractive prices.

TFO Pro/Signature/Finesse in the 8' to 9' foot range are options

Also I've seen a deal on a Sage Launch 590-2 and Winston Ascent 490 & 590 at prices I can afford.

I assume that the 5 wt is more versatile, but I'd like to have fun while with the little ones while I develop my skills. At this point, I am leaning towards an Allen reel.

Thanks

Leon

FrankB2

Reaction score
Hi Leon,
I don't fish anything lighter than a 4wt, and have lots of fun with panfish. On the trips when I'm expecting to get mostly bluegill, pumpkinseed, rock bass, green bass, etc, I take a 7' 6" or 8' 6" 4wt. Don't be surprised to catch crappie, largemouth and smallmouth bass, and other species when fishing for bluegills. I've caught stripped bass on the tidal section of Neshaminy Creek when fishing for bluegill (they come up from the Delaware River). Good patterns are Green Weenies and smaller foam surface bugs. The Launch would make a nice rod for all-round fishing in the Northeast, and it's made in the USA. I've caught plenty of tiny fish on a 5wt, and they still fairly fun. Not all panfish are equal, and I've found that the larger the stream/river, the greater the fight. Same with smallmouth.

The Redington Classic Trout rods have received good reviews, and can be purchased for $129 (I think the shipping is free) from this site's shop: http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/shop/Redington-CT-Classic-Trout-Fly-Rods/ . Moscapescador and Big Cliff both reviewed the rods on the "Review" forum. That might be you're best bet if you think panfish will be biting on your flies. I'm going to say either an 8 foot or 8.5 foot 4wt. ;) http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/gear-reviews/13863-redington-ct-classic-trout.html

Last edited:

Rip Tide

Reaction score
When I head out to a local pond in my canoe I usually take two rods. An 8wt for bass and "another" rod for pan fish. That rod is usually an old fiberglass or cane or maybe just a junk rod that doesn't get used much.
No sense in having a collection if you don't use it. :eek:
They're mostly 6wts as that's the norm as old rods go. I don't ever feel over gunned and I absolutely have never felt the need to carry anything fancier just to catch bluegills

lonewolve

Reaction score
Leon,
Hi, do you plan in the future on using this rod for trout as well?My experience says 5 weight is way to go also a 9 foot or even a 10 foot rod will be the cat's meow. Reason being is that sometimes using a 4 wt is not enough if you are throwing poppers or lil hairbugs as well as dealing with wind.
A 5 wt is more versitile because you can always get a reel with a extra spoolor two and line with a 4 wt or a 6 wt line and have you bases covered.
Most of the time i find the 5 wt line is enough when wind kicks up i like a 6 wt,all my lines are floaters and for this style of fishing i prefer a Rio Windcutter.Hands down will get you flies where you want and believe it or not in a delicate manner when they lay down.
Sometimes even panfish and bass can be spooky.
Just my 2 cents
Tight Wraps & Tight Lines
Rick Wallace

leon o

Reaction score
It's likely that I would take the rod to my in-laws cabin and use it at the very clear, shallow lake. It does not have trout, but does have perch, rock bass, LM bass and pickeral, as well as bluegill/sunfish.

Closer to home we have a couple small brooks in the area. They are not very wide and have heavy brush along the sides. As a kid we used to catch small rainbows & brookies. 10" was braggin' size, most were 8" or smaller. It's amazing that at the age of 12 I spent Easter morning fishin' & wadin' in the brook. Just cutoffs and an old pair of sneakers. I'd love to go back to the same place, but 30+ years later landowners are less comfortable with people wandering through their yards.

My wonderful wife wants a pop-up camper. If we get one this year (or ever) there could be unknown opportunities awaiting.

Being conservative, I just count on my few hours along on Saturday mornings :) Any other time at the water is a bonus :)

wabi

Reaction score
I have a Sage Launch 480 that my son uses frequently for panfish.
From my experience with it I'd say the 590 would probably be on the heavy side for panfish, but still a good selection - especially if there's a chance of hooking something larger.

ant

Reaction score
Honestly, you could use anything for panfish. Heck, a 4 or 5wt should cover you for most trout situations as well. I would go with a rod of quality that will last you a while.

I don't have any experience with the rods you listed so I won't comment there, but I have on of the Allen reels and those things are pretty sweet, especially at their price point.

caseywise

Reaction score
i have a little 7'6" 3 weight setup that i love for bluegills here in northern illinois. i mainly fish a small stream maybe 20 feet at its widest point, and the short rod works great. for lakes, a 4 or 5 weight 9 footer would be my weapon of choice.:D

casey

leon o

Reaction score
Yesterday I had the chance to wiggle test a bunch of rods. Compared to my bass rods, they all feel like little wet noodles :) With a 5 wt I would still have a lot more fun catching a 7" bluegill than I would catching a 12" bass on my MH bass rods. So, [today] I'm leaning towards a 5 wt, unless I find a deal I can't pass up on of 4 wt.

leon o

Reaction score
Well, I just snagged a used Echo Classic 590-4x at what I hope was a good deal. I think it should fit the bill as an all around rod, including pan fish. I was far enough under my budget that I'm still toying with the idea of a shorter 4 wt to complement it... Even though I know I should spend my budget on flies gear, waders etc. :)

gt05254

Reaction score
Don't forget, you still need a reel, a line, leaders, tippet, not to mention flies. And I always like this phrase - and you can substitute fly rod for gun- "Beware the man with only one gun; he probably knows how to use it."

leon o

Reaction score
Don't forget, you still need a reel, a line, leaders, tippet, not to mention flies. And I always like this phrase - and you can substitute fly rod for gun- "Beware the man with only one gun; he probably knows how to use it."
I was already asked, "when are you going to have time to use that thing...," so I will probably have to concentrate on reel, line, leaders, etc. before I think about and additional outfit :)

I like that old phrase. If I keep repeating it to myself I may concentrate more on technique than equipment. Good for catchin' fish and for stayin' happily married :grin:

gt05254

Reaction score
Yes, that whole marriage thing has been known, for some individuals, to put a serious dent into time spent afield. For others, not so much. Ya takes what ya can get, I guess.

leon o

Reaction score
I've already hooked the catch of my lifetime. I certainly don't want to let her get away :):)

My reason for chasing panfish is that it should allow me to maximize my time away and at home. When it becomes practical to spend more time at the water, hopefully I'll already have a few skills developed.

gt05254

Reaction score
Panfish are a ball to fly fish for...I do it all the time when the water around here is as hard as a rock!
Have fun!
Gary

chuck s

Reaction score
5 wt for Northeast Panfish?? and a Three!

I'd go for the five as a start :icon_conf as by now you are getting the drift that there will likely be a rod stable, or arsenal in your future.:thumbsupu I'm replying to encourage you to keep an eye out for a nice affordable three weight :icon_idea for your next purchase. Then you can relinquish that five to those trips where you might encounter a bigger bass or two, some catfish and panfish while reserve the three for panfish heaven. My latest affordable Three Forks Cabelas three weight was just over $40 in a pawn shop and in like new condition. :wavetowel Have a great time with this as you'll live to grow old that way according to the saying that "our creator does not deduct from man's alloted time that which is spent in fishing!":shades:

Fly2bTied

Reaction score
My favorite is a St. Croix Imperial 3 weight for panfish. I hooked a 3 pound catfish last year while fishing for panfish and it was a blast! Really gave my reel a workout.

wee hooker

Reaction score
The 5 wt is the better choice if your limited to one rod. It will work from bluegill to bass to trout to (very) light SW. It will throw warmwater flies with more authority too. I would also stick with med-fast vs fast and a 8.5' vs 9' for versatility and ease in learning. That said, I wouldn't go spending allot of $ on a name brand rod for your first rig. You'll learn just as well with a decent graphite $70 rod as you will with a "Brand A" $200 rod. I'd suggest you also look at the rods/combo's from Redington, Cortland, Cabelas, Bass pro, Phlueger, etc. and bank your money towards your next ( 7 or 8 wt?) rod.
Lastly, there is no substitute for handling/casting any rod before buying but it's getting harder and harder today to find a real dog in the over $50 range.
hth