The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Warmwater Fly Fishing

Warmwater Fly Fishing Bass, Bream, Perch, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-03-2011, 06:28 AM

leon o is on a distinguished road
Default 4 wt or 5 wt for Northeast Panfish??

I'm looking to buy my first flyrod. This year I will have only a few hours a month to practice & fish, so I decided to pursue panfish in my local ponds. To keep it fun, I'm more interested in quantity than quality (size) of the fish.

Since I'm still learning and this will be my first rod, I've been given advice to stay at least 4 wt. I've seen some attractive closeouts & demos at very attractive prices.

TFO Pro/Signature/Finesse in the 8' to 9' foot range are options

Also I've seen a deal on a Sage Launch 590-2 and Winston Ascent 490 & 590 at prices I can afford.

I assume that the 5 wt is more versatile, but I'd like to have fun while with the little ones while I develop my skills. At this point, I am leaning towards an Allen reel.

Thanks

Leon
Old 02-03-2011, 07:55 AM

FrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 4 wt or 5 wt for Northeast Panfish??

Hi Leon,
I don't fish anything lighter than a 4wt, and have lots of fun with panfish. On the trips when I'm expecting to get mostly bluegill, pumpkinseed, rock bass, green bass, etc, I take a 7' 6" or 8' 6" 4wt. Don't be surprised to catch crappie, largemouth and smallmouth bass, and other species when fishing for bluegills. I've caught stripped bass on the tidal section of Neshaminy Creek when fishing for bluegill (they come up from the Delaware River). Good patterns are Green Weenies and smaller foam surface bugs. The Launch would make a nice rod for all-round fishing in the Northeast, and it's made in the USA. I've caught plenty of tiny fish on a 5wt, and they still fairly fun. Not all panfish are equal, and I've found that the larger the stream/river, the greater the fight. Same with smallmouth.

The Redington Classic Trout rods have received good reviews, and can be purchased for $129 (I think the shipping is free) from this site's shop: http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/sh...rout-Fly-Rods/ . Moscapescador and Big Cliff both reviewed the rods on the "Review" forum. That might be you're best bet if you think panfish will be biting on your flies. I'm going to say either an 8 foot or 8.5 foot 4wt. Redington CT (Classic Trout)

Last edited by FrankB2; 02-03-2011 at 08:15 AM.
Old 02-03-2011, 10:03 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

When I head out to a local pond in my canoe I usually take two rods. An 8wt for bass and "another" rod for pan fish. That rod is usually an old fiberglass or cane or maybe just a junk rod that doesn't get used much.
No sense in having a collection if you don't use it.
They're mostly 6wts as that's the norm as old rods go. I don't ever feel over gunned and I absolutely have never felt the need to carry anything fancier just to catch bluegills
Old 02-03-2011, 03:50 PM

lonewolve is on a distinguished road

Leon,
Hi, do you plan in the future on using this rod for trout as well?My experience says 5 weight is way to go also a 9 foot or even a 10 foot rod will be the cat's meow. Reason being is that sometimes using a 4 wt is not enough if you are throwing poppers or lil hairbugs as well as dealing with wind.
A 5 wt is more versitile because you can always get a reel with a extra spoolor two and line with a 4 wt or a 6 wt line and have you bases covered.
Most of the time i find the 5 wt line is enough when wind kicks up i like a 6 wt,all my lines are floaters and for this style of fishing i prefer a Rio Windcutter.Hands down will get you flies where you want and believe it or not in a delicate manner when they lay down.
Sometimes even panfish and bass can be spooky.
Just my 2 cents
Tight Wraps & Tight Lines
Rick Wallace
Old 02-03-2011, 05:58 PM

It's likely that I would take the rod to my in-laws cabin and use it at the very clear, shallow lake. It does not have trout, but does have perch, rock bass, LM bass and pickeral, as well as bluegill/sunfish.

Closer to home we have a couple small brooks in the area. They are not very wide and have heavy brush along the sides. As a kid we used to catch small rainbows & brookies. 10" was braggin' size, most were 8" or smaller. It's amazing that at the age of 12 I spent Easter morning fishin' & wadin' in the brook. Just cutoffs and an old pair of sneakers. I'd love to go back to the same place, but 30+ years later landowners are less comfortable with people wandering through their yards.

My wonderful wife wants a pop-up camper. If we get one this year (or ever) there could be unknown opportunities awaiting.

Being conservative, I just count on my few hours along on Saturday mornings Any other time at the water is a bonus
Old 02-03-2011, 08:08 PM

wabi is just really nicewabi is just really nicewabi is just really nicewabi is just really nicewabi is just really nice

I have a Sage Launch 480 that my son uses frequently for panfish.
From my experience with it I'd say the 590 would probably be on the heavy side for panfish, but still a good selection - especially if there's a chance of hooking something larger.
Old 02-04-2011, 03:52 PM

ant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to behold

Honestly, you could use anything for panfish. Heck, a 4 or 5wt should cover you for most trout situations as well. I would go with a rod of quality that will last you a while.

I don't have any experience with the rods you listed so I won't comment there, but I have on of the Allen reels and those things are pretty sweet, especially at their price point.
FlyFishinado - My Fly Fishing Blog
Old 02-05-2011, 07:27 PM

sxm has a spectacular aura aboutsxm has a spectacular aura about

5 wt. good all around general purpose.

Check this thread:
First post..... ever. What type of line/leader for pan fish?
Old 02-05-2011, 07:43 PM

caseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to caseywise

i have a little 7'6" 3 weight setup that i love for bluegills here in northern illinois. i mainly fish a small stream maybe 20 feet at its widest point, and the short rod works great. for lakes, a 4 or 5 weight 9 footer would be my weapon of choice.

casey

ARFE
Old 02-06-2011, 06:41 AM

Yesterday I had the chance to wiggle test a bunch of rods. Compared to my bass rods, they all feel like little wet noodles With a 5 wt I would still have a lot more fun catching a 7" bluegill than I would catching a 12" bass on my MH bass rods. So, [today] I'm leaning towards a 5 wt, unless I find a deal I can't pass up on of 4 wt.