The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Western U.S.

Western U.S. Arizona, Utah, Idaho and Nevada. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-29-2009, 05:29 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Crazy Morman Cricket Hatch

Check out the Mormon Cricket hatch that is happening on the Green River. I have never seen anything like this before.
Teton Trout: Mormon Crickets

Larry
Old 06-30-2009, 05:59 AM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Crazy Morman Cricket Hatch

Amazing,when I was a child I saw a cloud of crickets...when they land they eat everything!
Old 06-30-2009, 08:51 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

JP: I have heard that the Cicada hatch and the Mormon Crickets can be a very could hatch on the Green River but I have never actually seen any pictures. Those pictures are awesome. When you retire we will have to fish the Green River together!

Larry
Old 06-30-2009, 09:49 AM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute

As for cicadas they're singing in my garden...for the moment...hot today 37c.
Chris showed me a pattern of cicada they use in NZ...the size of the fly is proportined to the size of the trout they catch down there...I'm not sure I'll wait for so long to fish the Green River...
Old 06-30-2009, 10:01 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbbfly View Post
As for cicadas they're singing in my garden...for the moment...hot today 37c.
Chris showed me a pattern of cicada they use in NZ...the size of the fly is proportined to the size of the trout they catch down there...I'm not sure I'll wait for so long to fish the Green River...
JP: Your invited anytime! I can imagine that the cicadas will do a number on your garden. Here is a good article on the Green River cicada hatch that you might be interested in reading.
Fishing the Green River Cicada

Larry
Old 06-30-2009, 03:37 PM
Super Moderator

Thanks for the link...interesting article indeed.I can only speak about cicadas hatch...in my garden.Instead of living under the water they live underground,they dig a little tunnel to go out...then it's pretty the same as flies...they climb on a tree or high weeds,get out of their "nymph enveloppe"they're green first...they spread their wings and sunbathe...to become black and sing all day!I've already fished for chubs with a dry pattern which looks like a green caterpillar but never with a cicada.
Old 06-30-2009, 04:29 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbbfly View Post
Thanks for the link...interesting article indeed.I can only speak about cicadas hatch...in my garden.Instead of living under the water they live underground,they dig a little tunnel to go out...then it's pretty the same as flies...they climb on a tree or high weeds,get out of their "nymph enveloppe"they're green first...they spread their wings and sunbathe...to become black and sing all day!I've already fished for chubs with a dry pattern which looks like a green caterpillar but never with a cicada.
JP: I'm in the same boat, I have never fished the cicada hatch. On the Green River the cicada hatch occurs in the June/July time frame. Maybe we can catch the cicada hatch together some day!

Larry