The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Western U.S.

Western U.S. Arizona, Utah, Idaho and Nevada. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-17-2010, 06:43 PM

webrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to behold
Default Winter fishing

got out today for a couple hours east of town before the storm clouds and wind started rolling in. Picked up a 12 inch bow and then this guy - for reference the length of the net frame is 15 inches so I put this guy at around 17 or 18.

Click the image to open in full size.

Nice way to start a forced "No Fishing" week. We have storms scheduled in all week so I guess I am not going to be able to fish for a few days....Bummer we won't be fishing much, but, like a said, a nice way to start the cabin fever.

Dave
Old 01-17-2010, 07:27 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Winter fishing

Dave: Nice trout!

Larry
Old 01-18-2010, 12:55 AM

troutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to behold

How far east did you go? A few buddies and I hit the Mustang area and Tracy. They walked away with a few nice ones but I came up empty. Got to try a new pattern though so I'm happy.
Old 01-18-2010, 01:57 AM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

Good thing you got that fish. I'm hearing that 10 feet of snow will fall over Donner Summit from this week's system.

MP
Old 01-18-2010, 02:40 AM

troutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to behold

I'm hoping so. We need the moisture. They got about 10 inches in Tahoe City so far.
Old 01-18-2010, 07:55 AM

webrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to behold

Packfanch, I'll send you a PM on the location, but I was west of mustang.

Mosca, yeah, it is supposed to be a good one this week, but as Packfanch said, we really need the moisture, especially in the tahoe area. We gotta get the lake back up to level so we can get the truckee flows back up and hopefully not have another drought year.

Larry - thanks it was nice to hook into a fighter.
Old 01-20-2010, 11:59 PM

simmons_j_m is on a distinguished road

Very nice fish... The Truckee is one river I've never fished... since I'm new to the whole sport of FF, I was hoping to get up there this Friday and get my line wet for the first time... but today it snows... and snows... maybe Friday the weather will break, but it's doubtful... again, beauty of a fish... I bet you enjoyed every moment of the fight as well...
Old 01-21-2010, 12:54 AM

Thanks, I fish the Truckee more then I fish anywhere else and it is a hoot when you are hooking fish, and a challenge when you aren't. The fish in the river do seem to have a bit more fight in them then equal size lakers around here, maybe it is because they live in the current, or maybe they are just mad when you finally figure out how to get em

If you are "getting up here" where are you coming from?

d
Old 01-21-2010, 08:44 AM

simmons_j_m is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by webrx View Post
If you are "getting up here" where are you coming from?

d
Web, I live in Dayton. I generally fish the East and West Carson or the West Walker and Little Walker. I've never fished Reno/Verdi, but when I drove to Cabelas last Friday, the river looked nice... if only it was a little warmer...
Old 01-21-2010, 09:50 PM

I am ok with the cold, but can't deal with cold and wind, thats when it isnt fun anymore for me. The big guys are in the deep pools below the riffles and rapids - just in case you get a chance to get out. Of course, you gotta find the deep pools, and get a fly to them in a somewhat natural drift - they are old, seasoned, and somewhat picky.

d