The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Western U.S.

Western U.S. Arizona, Utah, Idaho and Nevada. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-28-2010, 11:44 AM

Bigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant future
Send a message via AIM to Bigfly
Default Re: Hit the Truckee today...

Heavier leaders, and a little bling is in order now. They are still there.
Justin, If I fish, I don't guide. If I guide, I don't fish. You pick.
Did a seine for bugs yesterday. A friend hadn't seen it done and was astounded how much food is in the water. Midges, (adult and larva) Baetis, BWO's, swimmer mayflies, Caddis larva, Little Yellow Sallies nymphs, Skwalla nymphs, really large Golden stone nymph, a leech, and a few annelids (white and brown). No wonder they get fat.
By the by, A. Burk has some very sick patterns tyed up, behind the United Trails store at Hirschdale. I have tested a few, they work.
The wolverine was over by Sage Hen creek, they took a fur sample and it looks like it was an import, or migrated in. That would have been a long walk.
Something to really keep an eye peeled for, are Minks, and Pine Martens, same family of critters.

Jim

Bigfly
Old 02-28-2010, 09:23 PM

webrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to behold

Jim,

I have been hitting em pretty well lately (though not yesterday) with a birdsnest pattern on a size 14 tied with brown hackle tails, red fox squirrel abdomen (Whitlocks Blend picked out and messy) and small gold tinsel for ribbing (with and without flashbacks - I use a couple strands of the same tinsel for the flash back if used). With what you found in your siene, it does not surprise me that this pattern is working - most of those bugs in the nymph can be represented well with a GRHE or birdsnest or similar patterns - the GHRE and Birdsnest (various sizes and colors) are two of my favorite all time nymphs add the copper john in a few colors and sizes and you can fish almost anywhere.

d
Old 02-28-2010, 10:57 PM

simmons_j_m is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigfly View Post
Heavier leaders, and a little bling is in order now. They are still there.
Justin, If I fish, I don't guide. If I guide, I don't fish. You pick.
Did a seine for bugs yesterday. A friend hadn't seen it done and was astounded how much food is in the water. Midges, (adult and larva) Baetis, BWO's, swimmer mayflies, Caddis larva, Little Yellow Sallies nymphs, Skwalla nymphs, really large Golden stone nymph, a leech, and a few annelids (white and brown). No wonder they get fat.
By the by, A. Burk has some very sick patterns tyed up, behind the United Trails store at Hirschdale. I have tested a few, they work.
The wolverine was over by Sage Hen creek, they took a fur sample and it looks like it was an import, or migrated in. That would have been a long walk.
Something to really keep an eye peeled for, are Minks, and Pine Martens, same family of critters.

Jim
I wanna see the master at work (fishing), I'd probably learn a lot just watching someone fish besides youtube vids. Let's set up a time that works for you and I bet Dave would want to get out and fish as well...

On another note, I fished today out by Mayberry Park and nada... got skunked. I was throwing sz 12 copper johns, grhe, and even tried out a wooley with no results. I was actually thinking I should tie on one of my golden stones (sz 8 IIRC) but I passed... now kicking myself. Oh well, a day on the water is better is better than a day at work.

In fact, tomorrow is supposed to be around 60 in the valley... is that a cough I feel coming on?

- Justin
Old 03-03-2010, 11:28 AM

Bigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant future

Master,shmaster, I'll show you what I do to talk to fish, but, I depend on the cooperation of the fish just like others. I'm more of a fish counselor.
(Although "Fish Master" is a cool job title.)
Had a friend out the other day, he is perfecting his drift. 4+ hours later, he gets it right,
a three+ pound Bow ate his fly. He hollered "fish on", the fish breached/snapped the leader, I hollered fish off, elapsed time 2 sec. A typical day in my neighborhood.
Maintaining concentration, (and a good drift) is the biggest hurdle to catching on the Truckee.
Spring is coming early, (according to birds and bugs), get ready to fish!

Jim

Bigfly
Old 03-03-2010, 01:12 PM

Looks like the weather's supposed to be cruddy all weekend... doesn't seem to be an "enjoyable" fishing climate How my boy is feeling by Friday will determine if I am a fair weather guy or not...
Old 03-04-2010, 08:34 AM

webrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to behold

my buddy and I are talking about going out on Saturday if the weather is not too bad (read no blizzard in progress). We have fished in the rain and snow, and I don't have an issue with that, but I draw the line at 20-30 mph gusts (though there has been a time or two when even that did not stop me). Some of my best fishing has been under cloud cover or when a storm is approaching but not yet windy. I don't have my CA license yet, and I am going to have to wait until the 15th to get it, but I am up for hitting the NV side of the truckee - prolly gonna have to bring a friend though.

Dave

d
Old 03-04-2010, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by webrx View Post
my buddy and I are talking about going out on Saturday if the weather is not too bad (read no blizzard in progress). We have fished in the rain and snow, and I don't have an issue with that, but I draw the line at 20-30 mph gusts (though there has been a time or two when even that did not stop me). Some of my best fishing has been under cloud cover or when a storm is approaching but not yet windy. I don't have my CA license yet, and I am going to have to wait until the 15th to get it, but I am up for hitting the NV side of the truckee - prolly gonna have to bring a friend though.

Dave

d
Dave, if you don't mind the extra company, let me know what time on Saturday and I might be able to drive up and fish. I was up at Mayberry last week and it was tough fishing though someone's giant lab swimming through my hole didn't help much.

- Justin
Old 03-04-2010, 10:55 AM

Webrx, the overcast days seem the best on the T right now. Some snow flurries aren't bad either. I think the fish feel better than in bright sun. Are you wearing your winter camo?
For what it's worth, I mostly fish with roll, and water load casts. The wind is less of an issue if your line is on the water. I agree though, it takes a little more game (and attitude)
to pursue trout this time of year. Two "serious" fishing partners bailed on me yesterday.
It was only a little blizzard!
Got about 8"-12" of light freshies. I still say spring is coming.

Jim

Bigfly
Old 03-04-2010, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigfly View Post
Got about 8"-12" of light freshies. I still say spring is coming.

Jim
Hope you're right Jim... we can use the snow pack, but I'm ready for warmer fishing weather.

- Justin
Old 03-04-2010, 02:18 PM

troutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to behold

We need way more snow on the eastern side. Snow pack still isn't where it should be but march is our snowiest month. Dave let me know where you go and I'll see if I can break away for a bit and meet up with you.