The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Western U.S.

Western U.S. Arizona, Utah, Idaho and Nevada. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-19-2010, 08:16 PM

simmons_j_m is on a distinguished road
Default Hit the Truckee today...

So every chance I get I have to go fly fishing... partially because it's challenging and I like the competition with myself. I head out East of Reno today and fish are rising like crazy in some slow water. I tied on a sz 18 Dun BWO... and... boom, landed my first fish on a fly...

Click the image to open in full size.

After that, nothing... fish were still rising here and there, but the main activity had passed. I nymphed and stripped a wooly to no avail. That one fish will keep me coming back out and braving the sudden rain falls and wind... I think I am officially addicted

- Justin
Old 02-19-2010, 08:40 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Hit the Truckee today...

Justin: Congrats! Very nice looking trout!

Larry
Old 02-19-2010, 09:57 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

I remember my first, and I have to say congratulations on yours Justin!!

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 02-19-2010, 10:49 PM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

Congrats on that fish! Good fortune on your future outings.

MP
Old 02-20-2010, 12:40 AM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute

Congrats thanks for the pic of your first fish"just in" the net
Old 02-20-2010, 01:38 PM

Thanks guys. It was a rush I won't be soon to forget... floating the fly in the middle of the river... I couldn't see it but when I saw a fish rise near where I thought it was, I set the hook and sure enough the fight was on... wasn't a struggle as the 5 wt rod overpowered the little guy, but whew... an adrenaline rush none the less.

Maybe it wasn't so much the catch, but the fact that I picked the right fly and had the right presentation that got the fish to strike... a good feeling either way.

Quote:
Congrats thanks for the pic of your first fish"just in" the net
just in time as well...

- Justin
Old 02-20-2010, 04:32 PM

dorian.ducker is just really nicedorian.ducker is just really nicedorian.ducker is just really nicedorian.ducker is just really nicedorian.ducker is just really nice

Congrats on your first fish!!! That is a big deal! Feels good doesn't it.
Old 02-21-2010, 11:06 AM

Bigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud of
Send a message via AIM to Bigfly

Justin, give me a PM sometime if you want to walk the water. I'm on the CA. side so maybe you don't have a non-res lic. yet. Still, if any questions....
You've found a new thrill! Congratulations.

Jim

Bigfly
Old 02-21-2010, 11:19 AM

Jimmie has much to be proud ofJimmie has much to be proud ofJimmie has much to be proud ofJimmie has much to be proud ofJimmie has much to be proud ofJimmie has much to be proud ofJimmie has much to be proud ofJimmie has much to be proud ofJimmie has much to be proud ofJimmie has much to be proud of

Congrats Justin. Thanks for the neat picture.
Old 02-21-2010, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigfly View Post
Justin, give me a PM sometime if you want to walk the water. I'm on the CA. side so maybe you don't have a non-res lic. yet. Still, if any questions....
You've found a new thrill! Congratulations.

Jim
Thanks for the offer Jim. I actually picked up my CA license about a week ago. I've been wanting to try the river on that side for a while now so I might have to give you a shout here soon since most rivers don't open for another couple months. This storm dropped 7 + inches of snow at my place and I hear Reno got twice that... so hopefully it will melt in the next few days so I can fish this Friday.

Do you fish out of Truckee (the town)?

- Justin