The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Western U.S.

Western U.S. Arizona, Utah, Idaho and Nevada. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-24-2011, 06:25 PM

milt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: NorCal - NorNev Lakes and Rivers

Hey Big! Did just that on Thursday... 16" bow, 10" lmb, 14" lmb, 6" crappie, 20" bow, and a 13" bow, all on one olive seal bugger. Never even re-tied the knot. The lake is at 6743' elevation and is BRIM full, water temp ranged from 48 to 52 degrees. milt.
Old 04-27-2011, 01:20 PM

Bigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud of
Send a message via AIM to Bigfly
Wink Re: NorCal - NorNev Lakes and Rivers

Milt, I try hard to get it right!
Psyched you hooked up!
Of all the times of the year to fish, now is the best shot at a non-spooky, ravenous, fatty.
My only advice, is maybe re-tie those knots a little more often. We have double digit fish in there.
Wouldn't want Walter to get away do to a nicked knot!
Another way to fish now, is use a barely sinking fry-fly on a floating line, just under the surface.
I'm seeing some very large swirls, where big guys are feeding on little guys, who are distractedly feeding on midges.

Jim

Last edited by Bigfly; 04-27-2011 at 02:27 PM.
Old 04-27-2011, 09:17 PM

milt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond repute

One other great thing about aggro spring fish is that you can get away with stout tippets. I was using a factory tapered leader that was cut back to about 2x. The largemouth were a bit surprising with the winter we had. They will have a good spawn with all the flooded bays and brush. milt.
Old 04-28-2011, 10:45 AM

Bigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud of

Seeing big swirls at dawn. So nice to have them rising again.
Midges are still the best bet early. Or fry imitations near the surface.
But with temps up during the day, soon the whole menu will be offered.
Seems, early and late are best..
Ramp is open on Stampeed too.
The lake season has begun.
If you are buzzing around in a boat heads up.
Watch out for floating debris (logs), the creeks are getting the flush.

Jim

Last edited by Bigfly; 05-03-2011 at 11:47 AM.
Old 05-04-2011, 08:15 AM

webrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to behold

Finally got up to Davis yesterday, took my dad up with me so we took the boat. Only 4 other boats on the lake, the Grizzly Store was not open so we ran to Dillards to get a 1 day license for him. didn't get on the lake until 10 am, but we did take 3 or four hits and I ended up landing a nice 18 incher on a orange and silver wedding ring. No surface action to speak of, fish seemed to be at the 12 to 20 foot level. looks like some midges were hatching, and the occasional fish was taking one, but there was no rhyme or reason to when and where. Water was 45 degrees on the surface.

What a beautiful day to spend trolling around the lake with my dad, catching up on new and old and doing a little male bonding.

d
Old 05-04-2011, 09:57 AM
Glen Wright is just really niceGlen Wright is just really niceGlen Wright is just really niceGlen Wright is just really nice

Is the Little Truckee blown out now.
Attention New Fly Fishers and those just wanting to improve- Join a Fly Fishing Club. They have classes on every aspect of fly fishing for beginners to advanced for free or cheaper than offered elsewhere. Some offer mentor programs. You will make friends with other fly fishers. Clubs often have outings in which members pay special group rates for guides or to fish prime private access areas.
Old 05-04-2011, 10:33 AM

troutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to behold

Everything that flows water through it is blown out. The LT is a little over 400 and the Truckee is over 2000 up to the Boca bridge. The T might be a little more fishable near the town of Truckee.
Old 05-04-2011, 01:52 PM
Glen Wright is just really niceGlen Wright is just really niceGlen Wright is just really niceGlen Wright is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutdoorsman View Post
Everything that flows water through it is blown out. The LT is a little over 400 and the Truckee is over 2000 up to the Boca bridge. The T might be a little more fishable near the town of Truckee.
Thank you. Dang it I'm ich'n for some more river trout fich'n! After those nice Lower Sac fish I'm seriously Jonesing for more. I was hoping to catch an evening hatch somewhere after work this week.
Attention New Fly Fishers and those just wanting to improve- Join a Fly Fishing Club. They have classes on every aspect of fly fishing for beginners to advanced for free or cheaper than offered elsewhere. Some offer mentor programs. You will make friends with other fly fishers. Clubs often have outings in which members pay special group rates for guides or to fish prime private access areas.
Old 05-05-2011, 09:38 AM

troutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to behold

Lakes are going to be your only option for a little while I think. LT is up to 650.
Old 05-05-2011, 12:36 PM

Sitting in a boat fishing is a real change of pace, after fishing the Truckee (or LT!).
Hooking some nice fish though, Gunga-gulunga, so I've got that going for me.

Jim

Bigfly