The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Western U.S.

Western U.S. Arizona, Utah, Idaho and Nevada. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-12-2011, 01:50 PM

troutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: NorCal - NorNev Lakes and Rivers

Anyone getting out this weekend? I might try and hit the LT if the flows calm down a bit.
Old 05-13-2011, 03:50 PM

Bigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant future
Send a message via AIM to Bigfly

Chris, take some worms....and some ABs splts.....just fish it like the T.
Or, you can use a bunch of #6s like I did yesterday.

Jim
Old 05-13-2011, 05:24 PM

troutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to behold

WORMS, ARE YOU KIDDING ME!!!

Yeah I hear they are pretty active on them right now but they always work well up there. San Juan hatches can be productive. I am bringing a streamer arsenal as well. Are you going to be up there Sat Jim?
Old 05-14-2011, 01:01 PM

Bigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant future
Send a message via AIM to Bigfly

Negative Chris, won't be there.
I don't fish a worm generally, but when I seine, and they're on the menu....
Old 05-24-2011, 09:52 AM

HELLO HELLO HELLO

It's like a ghost town around here. Is anyone getting out? I got up to the LT last weekend and hooked a couple rainbows but nothing special. Met up wit hStefan from TU and fished with him for a bit. It was fun but the wtaer was raging! Not sounding good for the long term from what Stefan says. They're holding the flows like this to clear space in the lakes for run off. Gonna be a long summer boys.
Old 05-24-2011, 10:23 AM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

Chris,
I'm not sure when I'm going to be in the region even though I could be there in an hour and a half. My concentration has been on Striped Bass, and it's been good.

The Green Drake hatch on the T will be interesting this year.

Dennis
Old 05-24-2011, 10:38 AM
Glen Wright is just really niceGlen Wright is just really niceGlen Wright is just really niceGlen Wright is just really nice

HELLO Chris: The last I fished was on 5/14 with my club on the Lower Yuba. The flows were around 5000 cfs and I caught 2 Rainbows one about 16" that I posted a picture in the Rainbow Trout thread and the others was around 12". I caught them by fishing slow deep holes between Willow Trees with lots of weight with Jimmy Legs and a Red Copper John. The average was 2 fish per club member, but one caught 8. I started at 8 a.m. took an hour lunch at noon and didn't hook up on my first fish till around 3:30 p.m. and had to cover lots of water.

I guess I'm going to either have to switch to shad fishing on the Lower American or buy a float tube, but I'm not much of a fan of Still water fishing I think I just prefer rivers and their surroundings.
Attention New Fly Fishers and those just wanting to improve- Join a Fly Fishing Club. They have classes on every aspect of fly fishing for beginners to advanced for free or cheaper than offered elsewhere. Some offer mentor programs. You will make friends with other fly fishers. Clubs often have outings in which members pay special group rates for guides or to fish prime private access areas.
Old 05-24-2011, 01:39 PM

I need to get down there and fish for some Stripers some day. I've always wanted to do that ever since I moved out here.
Old 05-26-2011, 06:46 AM

webrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to behold

Hello Chris
Work and weather have been hindering me, I did get out as noted above, to Davis, and hooked up, but, everytime I have planned to get out since one of these winter storms rolls in. This weekend I can fish, but have to stay close as I have the on-call duties for work. So, with the truckee blown out, it looks like I am gonna have to settle for sparks marina unless I can find some slow water on the truckee.

d
Old 06-15-2011, 07:52 AM

webrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to behold

1 week vacation -
Saturday - Davis from shore - Camp Five - hooked up one 16 incher in about 2 hours, then the wind kicked in and made things difficult. I was the only one that hooked up during that hour and it was on (gasp) powerbait. the wind kept me from fly fishing.

Monday - Davis from the tubes - hooked 6 landed 3 - Denny's stillwater nymph, worked slow and at around 10 feet. it got breezy, which killed any surface action, but we did ok just the same. I did see some midges and dark mayflys on the surface and there were occasional rises when the wind let off a bit.

Tuesday - Antelope lake, most effective combo was a green and rust stillwater nymph at around 10 feet with a red copper john about 2 feet below. I worked this slow with an occasional twitch. the fish seemed to hit just after the twitch, the twitch works which I believe is why I landed 9, and my buddy only landed a few (I showed him the twitch and it worked for him too). This was my first trip to antelope and it was worth the two hour drive. Even the little fish fight pretty hard here, first fish I caught was 14 and largest was 18, there was jumping, running, spinning me in the float tube, etc. Activities you would expect from larger fish, but these guys put up a fight. there were flying ants on the surface, and risers to them, but, I couldn't get any takes on the surface and the subsurface fishing was good so I only spent about 30 minutes trying. There was also a midge hatch that went off, which is what led my partner to tying on a red chrinomid and me attaching a red copper john.

Thursday - heading to a little lake (to be named later) stuck back in the woods

Friday - Frenchman's - annual cubscout campout will probably only get a few hours of fishing in and mostly from shore back near the group camps. I will follow up next week.

d

Last edited by webrx; 06-16-2011 at 06:25 AM.