The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Western U.S.

Western U.S. Arizona, Utah, Idaho and Nevada. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-16-2011, 06:25 AM

webrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: NorCal - NorNev Lakes and Rivers

Off this morning to try a small stuck back in the woods stillwater, and possibly another alpine lake i will let you all know if we have any success when I get back this evening.

Hope you all are getting some fishing in.

d
Old 06-16-2011, 04:31 PM

webrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to behold

Couldn't get to the lake to be named later, couldn't get to alternate 2, both were snowed in still due to heaveier than normal snowfalls this year. Tried a third, had to forge a large creek, then got stopped by a fallen tree, even my rubicon was not going over.

ended up at prosser reservoir, it was ok had a few hits, landed one - small guy, 10 inches.

Gonna have to wait a few weeks for the snow to finish melting to try the first two spots, and will need a backhoe or a couple big chain saws and a winch to get the tree out of the way on the other.

d
Old 06-27-2011, 12:46 PM

Bigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant future
Send a message via AIM to Bigfly

To a large extent, it's gone early and late, as far as fishing goes.
Lakes are producing some nice fish.
Bass are starting to hang in the shallows. Soon the spawn is on.
Inlets are the best bet.
Midges and calibeatis, on top, streamers deep.
Boca is fishing well. Bring a floaty.

Jim
Old 07-12-2011, 07:54 AM

Have not posted in a couple weeks, but, have gotten out occasionally.

Davis for me is hitting, been averaging 6-8 fish in a 3 or 4 hour trip, others say it is not for them, I fish Davis from a tube with a type iv sinking line with a very slow kick from the float tube. The water is deeper than most are used to and the fish are deeper as well if you can't adjust to that you are not going to have a lot of luck.

Floating lines will still work, but you need long leaders and weight to get the fly down, the action seems to be at the 10 to 12 foot depth, not the 4 to 6 a lot of folks are used to. I have had luck on burnt orange wiggle tails, orange and olive stillwater nymphs, and a sheeps creek special, tied skinny with peacock herl, vice olive chenille for the body.

BTW, the above is working at Frenchman's as well - had a blast at the cub scout campout, mostly just fished the southwest corner area, and mostly just a couple hours at a time, but caught some decent fish.

Had to stay in town this past weekend, so dropped a line from the uboat in sparks marina sunday morning, hooked a couple, nothing to brag about.

waiting for the Truckee to slow down a little, man, got the itch for some dry fly action....

d
Old 09-24-2011, 06:50 AM

Been fishing Davis a lot, and frenchman's occasionally. Still hooking fish. The fish at Frenchman's seem to fight harder then those at Davis, but the fish at davis are bigger. Both are fun. Still seeing copepods on the fish at Davis, but not as bad as last year.

Flies that are working for me lately are the stillwater nymph, sheeps creek specials, hares ears, and just recently I hear the blood midge hatch is starting to take off.

I have been kicking out on the tube, finding the point where the weeds drop off, and fishing that dropoff with a floating line and 10 feet of leader/tippet casting out, and barely moving with an occasional twitch of the line. It has been working ok and I haven't been skunked in a while, knock on wood.

Buddy of mine hooked into a nice 21 incher the other day at Davis, on a hares ear with a bead.

That's it for the fishing report.

d
Old 09-24-2011, 09:43 AM

gatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud of

Nice report! Not getting skunked is definitely nice, even if they are dink fish keeping you from eating the donut (mine are usually the dink fish, its like I have the magic touch with fry or something).

Working out a way to convince my university to allow me to hold my TA office hours on the nearby creek...
Old 05-02-2012, 08:10 AM

Update for Frenchman's Lake:

Friends and I have been hitting frenchman's since ice off, had some good days and bad.

Last weekend, in the wind, we fished frenchman's and had a monster day including one 20+ inch Rainbow which went from tip to tip of my cumberland - the measuring net is only 18 inches and this fish touched both inside tips of my tube. We fished 4 hours and with hits, missed, ldrs, and netting I don't think between the two of us that we had more than 10 minutes when we were not in some kind of action.

I fished exclusively with my peacock and mallard nymph (wtih a tungsten bead on it), fished the drop offs in the coves and netted at least 15, LDRd another 15 and missed a bunch that hit and got loose.

The fish were hitting on the pause (two quick short strips and a couple second pause). I Fished an intermediate sinking line and buddy had a floating line with split shot. Buddy fished a prince nymph most of the day and landed 9.

Fish seem to be waking up, in good shape, and fighting pretty well. most fish caught were in the 14 to 16 inch range.

We have had good luck at both Snallygaster and at the west side boat ramp in the coves over the last 3 weeks

d

1. the fact or state of having been affected by or gained knowledge through direct observation or participation

2. that thing you get just moments after you needed it.
Old 05-07-2012, 08:33 AM

Update

Got out again yesterday and in spite of it being the day after a giant full moon, had anoher double digit day, tons of hits/misses and a mess of LDRs. 3 hours on the water, fishing the dropoffs with an intermediate line and a mallard and peacock nymph with a black bead.

The fishing at Frenchman's has been really good for the last 3 weeks now, I think the fish are hungry.

d

1. the fact or state of having been affected by or gained knowledge through direct observation or participation

Old 05-09-2012, 05:17 PM

troutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to behold

Good to hear you are getting into fish. I'm hoping to do that up at Pyramid this weekend. The AFS and TU are having a fishing day/ bbq on Sat at Pelican. Hopefully the action warms up for us.
Old 05-14-2012, 07:52 AM

Still catching, or at least getting hits this weekend, not quite as fast and furious as the last few weeks.

Buddy fished Davis yesterday, said he hit only a couple, had fish rising everywhere but he could not find what they wanted to hit.

troutdoorsman - how did you do at pyramid?

d