The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Western U.S.

Western U.S. Arizona, Utah, Idaho and Nevada. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-30-2010, 05:59 AM

neilrowe is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Fishing trip to Idaho

Larry

A float trip would be interesting as I've never drift boat fished before. Always thought that it was a strange concept until I saw and fished the Henry's Fork! Wade fishing in fast flow is quite something. Mend, mend and mend again! I will definitely try and get together with some some forum members next time.

The flyfishers I met on river were all extremely friendly and helpful - guess it's just the nature of flyfishers everywhere.

What's the fishing like now btw?

Regards
Neil
Old 06-30-2010, 12:21 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilrowe View Post
Larry

A float trip would be interesting as I've never drift boat fished before. Always thought that it was a strange concept until I saw and fished the Henry's Fork! Wade fishing in fast flow is quite something. Mend, mend and mend again! I will definitely try and get together with some some forum members next time.

The flyfishers I met on river were all extremely friendly and helpful - guess it's just the nature of flyfishers everywhere.

What's the fishing like now btw?

Regards
Neil
Neil: Some folks don't like to fish from boats and prefer to concentrate on small streams and that is just fine, but as you saw on your trip we have some pretty big water out west and a boat just gives you access to so much more water, and then there is the mending thing. From a boat you can get extremely long drag free drifts. We have been in spring run off lately so unless you fish stillwaters or tailwaters there hasn't been any fishing. However, the rivers are dropping rapidly. I'm headed up to the upper North Platte tomorrow for a float and then on Saturday I'm floating the Wind River, but that will be with a guide. I have never been on that river and always make a point of going with a guide or friend first to see the water first hand before I try to float it on my own. Then on July 15/16 myself and some other forum members are getting together to do a couple floats over on the Green River, WY. I'll let you know how it goes when I get back, it should be fantastic fishing this time of year.

Larry
Old 04-13-2011, 12:49 PM

tbidaho is on a distinguished road

We usually venture down the snake river/south fork, try to stay away from Henry's Fork unless we go to our secret spot.

The South Fork Snake is great all season long, after the high water resides here in a couple of months. We booked with Teton Springs for snake river fishing packages. They were pretty dang good I must admit. We've also went with a few others like South Fork Lodge... (OK in my opinion). The guys we got from Teton Springs (Located in Victor Idaho) were by far better and we had a blast, not to mention getting back to the lodge and having anything we needed... and a great time to chill.

Love to hear other reports on fishing guides in the SE Idaho area. The bugs are about to hatch, let's go get them!!!