The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Western U.S.

Western U.S. Arizona, Utah, Idaho and Nevada. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-13-2010, 03:40 PM

skubutz is on a distinguished road
Default Fishing trip to Idaho

Hi,

Looking for everyone's secret fishing spots in Idaho
.......my buddy and I would like to take a trip there in late June and are looking for rivers and streams off the beaten path. Never been so don't really know what to expect. Any takers?
Old 03-13-2010, 08:00 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Fishing trip to Idaho

Welcome to the forum! The only water in ID that I have fished is the South Fork of the Snake but it is a big river, better suited for drifting, but if you're in the area I wouldn't let that stop you from trying a couple likely looking spots. The river flows along hwy 26 from Swan Valley to Idaho Falls. When driving west along hwy 26 after passing Swan Valley look for N. 175th Rd and follow that north until it crosses the river and then turn right, it will turn into a dirt road, follow that east along the river, there are a couple of Y's, stay to the right to follow the river, the road will turn into Burns Creek Rd and lead into BLM land and watch for likely looking spots to fish.

Do a search for Dorian.Ducker and then send him a PM, he is a member and lives in Idaho Falls and he should be able to point you in the right direction. Same goes for idahoflyfisher and bigcabindana (he lives in Twin Falls).

You might also pick up a copy of Fly Fishing the Henry's Fork by Mike Lawson and Gary LaFontaine:
Fly Fishing the Henry's Fork Mike Lawson Gary LaFontain - eBay (item 350319528522 end time Mar-22-10 05:25:40 PDT)

This is an excellent DVD by Mike Lawson on the Henry's Fork:
Amazon.com: HENRY'S FORK with Mike Lawson: Mike Lawson, Gene Hering: Movies & TV Amazon.com: HENRY'S FORK with Mike Lawson: Mike Lawson, Gene Hering: Movies & TV

I'd also recommend you get a copy of the Flyfisher's Guide to Idaho by Ken Retallic and Rocky Barker:
Amazon.com: Flyfisher's Guide to Idaho (2nd Edition) (Flyfisher's Guides) (9781885106957): Ken Retallic, Rocky Barker, R. D. Dye: Books Amazon.com: Flyfisher's Guide to Idaho (2nd Edition) (Flyfisher's Guides) (9781885106957): Ken Retallic, Rocky Barker, R. D. Dye: Books

Hope you have a good trip.

Larry
Old 03-13-2010, 08:31 PM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute

Absolutely, echoing Larry. Last Chance in Island Park and Palisades area (North an South fork)
There is an area around a place called Hiese that is awesome. But even in town around the Shelly/Firth area...there is some BIG brown. I head up there often, maybe we can plan close to the same time. Also Warm River up Ashton way.
Old 03-13-2010, 11:29 PM

dorian.ducker is just really nicedorian.ducker is just really nicedorian.ducker is just really nicedorian.ducker is just really nicedorian.ducker is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnerney View Post
Welcome to the forum! The only water in ID that I have fished is the South Fork of the Snake but it is a big river, better suited for drifting, but if you're in the area I wouldn't let that stop you from trying a couple likely looking spots. The river flows along hwy 26 from Swan Valley to Idaho Falls. When driving west along hwy 26 after passing Swan Valley look for N. 175th Rd and follow that north until it crosses the river and then turn right, it will turn into a dirt road, follow that east along the river, there are a couple of Y's, stay to the right to follow the river, the road will turn into Burns Creek Rd and lead into BLM land and watch for likely looking spots to fish.

Do a search for Dorian.Ducker and then send him a PM, he is a member and lives in Idaho Falls and he should be able to point you in the right direction. Same goes for idahoflyfisher and bigcabindana (he lives in Twin Falls).

You might also pick up a copy of Fly Fishing the Henry's Fork by Mike Lawson and Gary LaFontaine:
Fly Fishing the Henry's Fork Mike Lawson Gary LaFontain - eBay (item 350319528522 end time Mar-22-10 05:25:40 PDT)

This is an excellent DVD by Mike Lawson on the Henry's Fork:
Amazon.com: HENRY'S FORK with Mike Lawson: Mike Lawson, Gene Hering: Movies & TV

I'd also recommend you get a copy of the Flyfisher's Guide to Idaho by Ken Retallic and Rocky Barker:
Amazon.com: Flyfisher's Guide to Idaho (2nd Edition) (Flyfisher's Guides) (9781885106957): Ken Retallic, Rocky Barker, R. D. Dye: Books

Hope you have a good trip.

Larry
Fly Fishing Guide to Idaho is an awesome resource, you can really use it to plan your trip as far as timing and where to go. If you have specific questions feel free to PM me. Late June is going to probably be higher than ideal water conditions, but you can still find great places to fish.
Old 03-21-2010, 06:35 AM

neilrowe is on a distinguished road

Greetings all

I am a new member from Cape Town, South Africa. In early May I will be in LA on a business trip and want to fly up to Idaho Falls to explore the area and do some flyfishing.

I realise that it will be early season and not the ideal time but that's the only time available to me.

I need lots of help wrt places to fish at that time, recommended accommodation, equipment to bring etc. Hopefully a lot of the answers will be in the recommended books but hopefully one or two of the members based in Idaho might help me?

All suggestions and help will be sincerely appreciated.

Thanks
Neil
Old 03-27-2010, 03:14 PM

Flywgn will become famous soon enoughFlywgn will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by skubutz View Post
Hi,

Looking for everyone's secret fishing spots in Idaho
.......my buddy and I would like to take a trip there in late June and are looking for rivers and streams off the beaten path. Never been so don't really know what to expect. Any takers?
Hi skubutz;

Welcome

I agree with everything that mcnerney wrote, but with the caveat that Idaho is a B-I-G state, over 700 miles from my house (near Twin Falls) to the Canadian border and over 400 miles across. You won't go wrong, or be disappointed, if you concentrate over in the southeastern portion...Henry's Fork and South Fork areas. You can then fish the Park too. Of course, if it's steelhead on the fly you want, you'll have to come over to the Salmon River (biggest steelhead run in recent memory) or head up to the Clearwater drainage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilrowe
Greetings all

I am a new member from Cape Town, South Africa. In early May I will be in LA on a business trip and want to fly up to Idaho Falls to explore the area and do some flyfishing....
And a welcome to you, too, Neil. There are quite a few accommodations in and around Idaho Falls and in the Island Park area. You can even rent equipment if you don't want to bring it along on your trip. There are a couple of lodges that offer guide services as well. It sort of depends on what you're looking for. Perhaps you can PM me with details...same for skubutz, too, if you want.'

DISCLAIMER: I have no affiliation with guides, lodges, restaurants, clothing companies, tackle companies, or any such. Just an ol' flyfisher that hasn't cast his last line yet.

You might notice my dearth of posts. It's not because I don't like this forum, I do, it's just that I spend most of my time fly-fishing, wing-shooting, tying flies, loading shells, and keeping my wife happy.

Allen R
Old 06-25-2010, 05:00 PM

skubutz it's "late June", so you're probably in Idaho at this time, but if you have need of any 'first-hand' information, please feel free to send me a "Private Msg" and I'll try to respond. (That might be funny to neilrowe, but I have sent him a detailed apology for my negligence.)

Weather's turning nice up here finally. Crazy spring but now hatches are abundant. I had a fine time on Silver Ck last week and am heading over to the Henry's Fork in a day or so. Busy now getting the camper provisioned so that I have another option to a lodge/motel.

I tried wading the Big Lost River the other day, but I was alone and the water flow seemed a bit much for me. Lost my footing a couple of times, got nervous, quit. There'll be other days after they lower the release from the reservoir.

I just got off the phone with a guide for the Henry's Fork and his report was indeed encouraging...and tempting.

Allen R
Old 06-28-2010, 02:23 AM

neilrowe is on a distinguished road

Guys

A little feedback and perceptions from a visitor to the USA and to Idaho fishing in particular. My 2 week fishing trip at the end of May has come and gone and I'm back in South Africa in the midst of World Cup fever.

I based myself in Idaho Falls for the first week. The only rivers that were open were various sections of the Henry's Fork. I fished the section below Ashton Dam (Sealy's) for a couple of days and also spent a day on the Bear Gulch section. I must say that I have never seen as much insect activity on any river before, although the locals told me that the hatches were not really happening and that the previous week was better (is'nt that always the case/). I did ok under the circumstances, I think, averaging 2 fish per session. Most of the fish were taken on nymphs. Bear Gulch was lovely and I caught a nice 23 in rainbow that I spotted taking caddis flies right up against the bank. Nice fish and an awesome setting.

Thereafter, I based myself in West Yellowstone for 4 days, which were spent mainly doing sight seeing activities in Yellowstone National Park. I did manage a short session on the Madison below Hegben Lake though. Saw a number of large fish but blanked, unfortunately. My girlfriend hooked two monsters but got broken off both times.

Our next destination was Jackson, Wyoming. Two days in this lovely town. The Gros Ventre was open, so I duly managed to squeeze in a morning session. Only caught one cutt - but a 23/24" fish not less! Could not believe a fish this size in such a tiny piece of water.

We then drove down to flagstaff, Arizona to visit friends. The only trout fishing nearby is Oak Creek in Sedona. I had a morning session there which yielded 9 wild brownies. Lovely setting.

That concluded our little trip. Many good memories though. Friendly, hospitable people, a beautiful country, huge motor vehicles, Harleys galore and basically a country which works well.

I shall return.

Regards
Neil
Old 06-29-2010, 02:42 PM

Really glad you had such a good trip, Neil. It's nice to see a springbok amongst the pronghorns.

You chose a fine area for your trip to the western streams of the U.S.

I hope that the OP had as good a time.

Allen R
Old 06-29-2010, 03:14 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilrowe View Post
Guys

A little feedback and perceptions from a visitor to the USA and to Idaho fishing in particular. My 2 week fishing trip at the end of May has come and gone and I'm back in South Africa in the midst of World Cup fever.

I based myself in Idaho Falls for the first week. The only rivers that were open were various sections of the Henry's Fork. I fished the section below Ashton Dam (Sealy's) for a couple of days and also spent a day on the Bear Gulch section. I must say that I have never seen as much insect activity on any river before, although the locals told me that the hatches were not really happening and that the previous week was better (is'nt that always the case/). I did ok under the circumstances, I think, averaging 2 fish per session. Most of the fish were taken on nymphs. Bear Gulch was lovely and I caught a nice 23 in rainbow that I spotted taking caddis flies right up against the bank. Nice fish and an awesome setting.

Thereafter, I based myself in West Yellowstone for 4 days, which were spent mainly doing sight seeing activities in Yellowstone National Park. I did manage a short session on the Madison below Hegben Lake though. Saw a number of large fish but blanked, unfortunately. My girlfriend hooked two monsters but got broken off both times.

Our next destination was Jackson, Wyoming. Two days in this lovely town. The Gros Ventre was open, so I duly managed to squeeze in a morning session. Only caught one cutt - but a 23/24" fish not less! Could not believe a fish this size in such a tiny piece of water.

We then drove down to flagstaff, Arizona to visit friends. The only trout fishing nearby is Oak Creek in Sedona. I had a morning session there which yielded 9 wild brownies. Lovely setting.

That concluded our little trip. Many good memories though. Friendly, hospitable people, a beautiful country, huge motor vehicles, Harleys galore and basically a country which works well.

I shall return.

Regards
Neil
Neil: Thanks for posting such a great trip report! Sounds like you had a great time despite being a bit early for fly fishing. I have to agree the Gros Ventre is a beautiful little stream, I camped there last year, but it was during run off so I didn't fish it, but it is on my to-do list. Maybe next time you visit we can get you out with some of the members of this forum and do a float together.

Larry