The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Western U.S.

Western U.S. Arizona, Utah, Idaho and Nevada. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-03-2005, 08:32 AM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

I have fished the Guad, and while its definitely fun to fish, I would say its pretty well typical put and take fishing. The most popular spots are those stocked by the TU chapter there. They stock considerably bigger fish, but even the Chapter members have a limited number of days they can go fish those leases. I prefer to fish by the third crossing personally. Theres a long run after a long set of riffles and rapids, and I've actually seen quite a few hatches there, mostly caddis. Here's a shot of it in the evening: .Click the image to open in full size.

The Lower Mountain Fork in SE Oklahoma is about the same drive, and I find the fishing better there. There you have both the option of fishing wide open river or a tumbling plunge pool creek with lots of pocket water. I actually fished a One Fly tourney there and caught some really plump rainbows.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 03-03-2005, 12:36 PM
Curtis will become famous soon enoughCurtis will become famous soon enough
Send a message via MSN to Curtis

That is some good looking water. I understand they are looking at the possibility of this becoming a wild trout river but need to figure out how to overcome the tremendous amounts of flooding rains that hit the area. Thanks for the photo. Interesting topography around the stream. Very inviting.
Old 03-03-2005, 01:14 PM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

Quote:
I understand they are looking at the possibility of this becoming a wild trout river but need to figure out how to overcome the tremendous amounts of flooding rains that hit the area.
That was news to me and I don't see how that could be possible. I would say the problem is not too much water, but not enough. The river is wadeable up to 500 cfs of flow and during dry summer months it can get down below 50 CFS. This allows the water to get way too hot for the trout to survive any where but the deepest holes and near the small number of cold springs that exist in the stream-bed.

The watershed that feeds the lake is a giant long chute that doesn't absorb much water. It also doesn't help that rains in the region tend to be few, far between, and torrential. Their worst recent flooding was back in '02. One of my favorite fishing areas on the Upper Guad recorded four feet of rain in less than 48 hours. (you read that right, four FEET) There is a fairly thin band of bedrock that somewhat paralells I-35 to the west which recharges a massive aquifer under the whole area. During more normal rains it works pretty well to manage the rainfall in the area and actually is the primary source of water for all of the cities in the area. However, when those torrential rains occur, it catches about as much as the door seals of your car in a car wash.

Something drastic would have to be done in terms of lake levels, building another dam upstream from Canyon Lake, or some form of legislation to regulate flows to help trout withstand the summers. Texas politics is famous for beign oriented towards low service/low tax and being development friendly. I would be suprised if such legislation were ever developed.

Although the topography may not look like anything typical of Texas, that's actually a pretty good sample of what exists around there. Those trees on the left are Bald Cypress trees and are very common in all of the "Hill Country" they are most commonly on the river banks and their gnarly root systems function as fine cover for bass. That spot I mentioned that got a ton of rain has the trees on both sides of the river and is totally shaded in the summer. It can be 100 degrees outside, but you're in the shade and standing in 60 degree water and perfectly comfortable.

Old 03-03-2005, 03:33 PM
Curtis will become famous soon enoughCurtis will become famous soon enough
Send a message via MSN to Curtis

Strange. That was what TU was saying in their latest magazine that came to me. They said the biggest challenge is that flooding which wipes pretty much everything out when it happens. WOW! four feet. That is amazing.
Old 07-02-2007, 08:30 PM

Wrench is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Introductions

Hello everyone, I'm from central Virginia and I guess I would be considered an amateur slash novice angler. I never have the time to go to James river and fish but I could never get over the excitement of the fish stealing the fly off the watter thinking that it has this great treat, the Wham!!!
Old 07-17-2007, 10:54 AM

gus is on a distinguished road

JUST WANTED TO INTRODUCE MYSELF, I COME FROM DUNDEE, SCOTLAND. AND I AM A PRO FLY DRESSER. LOOKING FORWRD TO READING AND POSTING SOME THREADS.

CHEERS

gus
Old 07-17-2007, 01:15 PM
Super Moderator

Welcome to the group y'all, looking forward to your contributions1

Old 01-22-2008, 10:31 PM

dorian.ducker is just really nicedorian.ducker is just really nicedorian.ducker is just really nicedorian.ducker is just really nicedorian.ducker is just really nice

Got into the forum a week ago or so and thought geographically appropriate to say hi here. I live in Rigby ID. 15 minutes north of Idaho Falls, and am new to the sport. Started last summer. Look forward to cutting my teeth here on the beautiful trout water we have around here.
Old 01-23-2008, 08:11 AM
Super Moderator

Welcome to the group!