The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Western U.S.

Western U.S. Arizona, Utah, Idaho and Nevada. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

Like Tree39Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-10-2011, 09:34 AM

troutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Truckee river

I'm hearing a little rain tonight and then nothing until wednesday but sun and 60's. If you can make it up Sun shoot me a pm, I might be able to join you for a bit.
Old 03-11-2011, 07:09 AM

webrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to behold

Gotta see what my honey-doo list looks like but Sunday sounds like it may work.

dave
Old 03-16-2011, 09:39 AM

Bigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud of
Send a message via AIM to Bigfly

Ugly, thats the only word for the glop that fell last night.
Roads are scary, I80 is closed. Power interuptions too.
Flows look higher and brown.
Time for a road trip.

Jim

Last edited by Bigfly; 03-16-2011 at 10:12 AM.
Old 03-18-2011, 12:54 AM

troutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to behold

Holy blow out!! The East Walker is even flowing at 850! E Carson was around 2000, Truckee seems to be dropping and is around 1600. Maybe Pyramid if I ever get around to picking up a license.
Old 03-18-2011, 03:58 PM

Bigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud of

Flows are up, but fishable.
CA side is green/tan, the lower you go in the canyon, the bigger and off color it gets.
They are a bit moody due to water temps. 43-47 on edges.
Fish edges and current breaks.
Softer water and troughs.
Skwalas, BWOs, and a few march browns.
Caddis on the horizon.
Worms galore.
Crays are out.
Be very careful out there. Wader/swimmers are more frequent.
Bring extra clothes, wading belt, a staff, and studs..

Jim

Bigfly

Last edited by Bigfly; 04-09-2011 at 12:34 PM.
Old 04-21-2011, 07:46 AM

webrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to behold

Truckee fast and brown, might be fishable upstream, but just driving by and looking at the flows and color has me thinking stillwater.

Speaking of which, roads are plowed to mallard cove at Davis Lake, and ice is off the lake everywhere but right at the dam. No access to the west side except by snow mobile or snow shoe.

Gonna start another thread on semi-local lakes or maybe a NorCal-NorNev thread would be better - I know this is a never ending thread, but if I am not talking about the Truckee, then I wonder if my comments really fit the thread.

d
Old 04-27-2011, 01:25 PM

Most of the T is looking better. Good color, temps are down (47 deg).
Flows are at 400cfs up above town, and fishy.
Still a few skwallas running around if sunny.
Most fish are being taken within 5-7 feet of the bank. No really.
Think soft water, light weight.
BWOs are futzing in weak waves. A few march browns (yes it is June).
Seeing more Green drake nymphs, but don't get your hopes up yet.
And don't forget to bring a zebra midge.
Pinch those barbs.......

Jim

Last edited by Bigfly; 06-02-2011 at 02:09 AM.
Old 05-28-2011, 11:10 AM
Glen Wright is just really niceGlen Wright is just really niceGlen Wright is just really niceGlen Wright is just really nice

June 24 - 26 the club I belong to California Fly Fishers Unlimited will be going on its 28th annual Truckee area outing and I'm going on that one too. I'm really hoping LT & T will be in some shape other than totally blown out, I realize I may be being delusional the this winter is going. Yes I know its not winter!

I really do not want to buy a float tube, but I may have to as a compromise since right now I can't afford the Dave Scadden tubeless I really want.
Attention New Fly Fishers and those just wanting to improve- Join a Fly Fishing Club. They have classes on every aspect of fly fishing for beginners to advanced for free or cheaper than offered elsewhere. Some offer mentor programs. You will make friends with other fly fishers. Clubs often have outings in which members pay special group rates for guides or to fish prime private access areas.

Last edited by FlyBum; 06-07-2011 at 11:29 AM.
Old 06-07-2011, 10:52 AM

The T is returning to form.
Water temps are hovering around 42-45. Deep green on the upper section.
A bit tan below Squaw crk, and Donner crk.
If we don't get anymore snow, I think we are good to go.
Not a huge blizzard of bugs up here yet.
But seeing midges, Baetis, BWOs, a march brown or two still, and yesterday a PMD.
A smattering of caddis fluttering about when it warms.
Green Drake adults have been spotted nearer NV line.
Seeing more GD nymphs up here.
Many little yellow sally nymphs in the net.
Found a large golden stone nymph near shore, about ready to go.
The flying ants have made an appearence too!
Fish warming in the shallows, watch where you walk.

Jim

Last edited by Bigfly; 06-29-2011 at 02:05 PM.
Old 06-14-2011, 01:07 PM
Glen Wright is just really niceGlen Wright is just really niceGlen Wright is just really niceGlen Wright is just really nice

Am I reading this properly are the flows on the T about 800 cfs USGS Real-Time Water Data for USGS 10338000 TRUCKEE R NR TRUCKEE CA
Attention New Fly Fishers and those just wanting to improve- Join a Fly Fishing Club. They have classes on every aspect of fly fishing for beginners to advanced for free or cheaper than offered elsewhere. Some offer mentor programs. You will make friends with other fly fishers. Clubs often have outings in which members pay special group rates for guides or to fish prime private access areas.