The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Western U.S.

Western U.S. Arizona, Utah, Idaho and Nevada. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

Like Tree31Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-20-2013, 02:38 PM

milt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Truckee river

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutdoorsman View Post
I'm going to try and hit the P on Sunday morning if not there maybe hit the river through Sparks
Is it Ok for me to have P envy? milt
Old 12-23-2013, 11:59 AM

Bigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud of
Send a message via AIM to Bigfly

Had a guy call me for info about Pyramid.
Said he was going to take his canoe out.
I told him it was a good way to die.....
Should have had him call me back to tell me how it went.
Now I'm going to wonder all day.....

Jim
milt spawn likes this.
Old 12-23-2013, 12:12 PM

mikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud of

If he has the wrong wind it could be a long cold day for him.
Old 12-23-2013, 12:30 PM

milt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikel View Post
If he has the wrong wind it could be a long cold day for him.
...or his last! milt
Old 12-23-2013, 12:59 PM

mikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud of

Yep...another potential Darwin Award candidate for sure....
Old 12-23-2013, 01:25 PM

Bigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud of

After you have caught the largest, dumbest, cutthroat in the world.....easily......why go?
(Locals won't talk about a fish if it's less than ten pounds.)
The reason I fish there, is for the scare......
That coppery taste of fear.....
Extreme float tubing/praming....
I have been the only person on the water, and saw the look in shore guys eyes...Good luck dude....
The awareness level feels like big water sailing to me. No spacing out....
Hell, I know two people who didn't think it could happen to them....(and they were in a real boat).
I've come close many times.....
It's a deep cold lake, that doesn't care. (Almost malevolent feeling.) 3miles wide, 20 long.
There are the tribal myths about hearing "Water babies" just before you drown......
Once a 6ft wave knocked me off my ladder (also 6') into deeper water. Swimming with waders....
Beware the wind........0-60 in the time it takes to land a fish. Had a gust throw my 150lb pram into the lake, and barely got it back.
Pretty place though, especially if you like sage brush, sand storms, and quiet......like a mile of Baja all to yourself.
The worst/best part of the place, is.... fishing is best when the weather is worst. (Seems colder than Truckee...)
Fishing in a Feb. blizzard, and ducking waves in a dry top/waders.
Not much crowding then...........

Forgot to mention the deadly white clay.....perhaps the most vicious/viscous substance known to man.....
I once had one foot in my float tube (With fin on....) when it struck....
Damn near drowned in knee deep water......while 25 guys on ladders tried not to look on....

Last tip, don't wade/boat through the ladder lineup. Locals are a testy bunch.....

Jim

Last edited by Bigfly; 01-09-2014 at 04:30 PM.
Old 01-09-2014, 12:49 PM

Click the image to open in full size.

Winter/fishing continues....
I can recommend the Nomad nets from Fishpond...
Lighter, stronger, and camo......
Wild Truckee River buck, on a Skwalla nymph...

Jim
milt spawn likes this.

Last edited by Bigfly; 01-09-2014 at 04:28 PM.
Old 01-09-2014, 05:12 PM

mattneeds is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigfly View Post
After you have caught the largest, dumbest, cutthroat in the world.....easily......why go?
(Locals won't talk about a fish if it's less than ten pounds.)
The reason I fish there, is for the scare......
That coppery taste of fear.....
Extreme float tubing/praming....
I have been the only person on the water, and saw the look in shore guys eyes...Good luck dude....
The awareness level feels like big water sailing to me. No spacing out....
Hell, I know two people who didn't think it could happen to them....(and they were in a real boat).
I've come close many times.....
It's a deep cold lake, that doesn't care. (Almost malevolent feeling.) 3miles wide, 20 long.
There are the tribal myths about hearing "Water babies" just before you drown......
Once a 6ft wave knocked me off my ladder (also 6') into deeper water. Swimming with waders....
Beware the wind........0-60 in the time it takes to land a fish. Had a gust throw my 150lb pram into the lake, and barely got it back.
Pretty place though, especially if you like sage brush, sand storms, and quiet......like a mile of Baja all to yourself.
The worst/best part of the place, is.... fishing is best when the weather is worst. (Seems colder than Truckee...)
Fishing in a Feb. blizzard, and ducking waves in a dry top/waders.
Not much crowding then...........

Forgot to mention the deadly white clay.....perhaps the most vicious/viscous substance known to man.....
I once had one foot in my float tube (With fin on....) when it struck....
Damn near drowned in knee deep water......while 25 guys on ladders tried not to look on....

Last tip, don't wade/boat through the ladder lineup. Locals are a testy bunch.....

Jim
One of those rollers knocked my dad off his ladder a couple years ago. Completely caught him off guard.
Old 01-09-2014, 05:17 PM

Was he OK?
It's a fun place, other than maybe buying the farm....

The "line-up"

Jim

Last edited by Bigfly; 01-09-2014 at 08:17 PM.
Old 01-11-2014, 03:12 PM

mattneeds is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigfly View Post
Was he OK?
It's a fun place, other than maybe buying the farm....

The "line-up"

Jim

Yeah he fine, just cold. Thats an epic snap of pyramid.