The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Western U.S.

Western U.S. Arizona, Utah, Idaho and Nevada. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

Like Tree39Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-31-2014, 12:15 PM

Bigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud of
Send a message via AIM to Bigfly
Default Re: Truckee river

Good base is melting before my eyes.
Snowing high up.....but drenching rain down here.
River temp dropping...36-37 green/tan and up an inch or so.
Had a good time yesterday, all fish ate dries.

MIDGES, midges, midges.....................Try a griffith's gnat sz 20.
Alders are budding, Skwallas have started to move to the shallows....
That should happen in March.
Things are looking really bad this year..
Fish now.....

Jim
mcnerney likes this.

Bigfly

Last edited by Bigfly; 02-08-2014 at 02:13 PM.
Old 02-12-2014, 09:10 AM

gregnash will become famous soon enough

Yeah tried the area off of Lockwood a couple weeks back and was skunked. I guess I really dont consider it a skunk because it was more of a scouting mission for me as I had never been out there. Now if I could just figure out how to fish rivers, seeing them rise and knowing that something is in that general vicinity and only have to get my presentation is one thing but trying to find that right slot, riffle, bubble line, etc and then the right presentation and bug is something completely different.

Talked with a coworker that told me to go to the section and literally was in the same section with same bug and he got a few and I got nothing. I blame it on the fact that I have been doing this for less than a year and really 80% of the time was spent on a flat water lake when I could see the constant rise!.

Oh well such is the life of a fly fisherman.
Old 02-12-2014, 11:30 AM

Bigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud of

Greg, it all comes down to the drift.....
I always say, that "you'll catch more fish on a good drift with a bad bug, than a bad drift with a good bug."
If you come up this way, I'll get you squared away.
The fish won't have a chance...............

Jim
mcnerney likes this.
Old 02-13-2014, 06:08 PM

Thanks for the info Bigfly... I will definitely take you up on that as I plan to pick up my CA license pretty soon here and we have a Memorial weekend trip planned for Davis Lake which my coworkers keep raving about (now to find a damn tube).
Old 02-14-2014, 11:10 AM

2-18-14
Grey day.....
The river is clearing, green and temp has risen rapidly to 43. Flows still dropping.....
Spring menu is here.
1. Skulpin.
2. Golden stone nymph.
3. Little yellow sallie nymph.
4. Skwalla nymph.
5. BWO nymph.
6. March Brown nymph.
7. Swimmer Baetis nymph.
8. Midges, midges, midges.
9. Free ranging Caddis.
10. San Juans......
Thinking Adult Skwallas might be along soon......
cochise likes this.

Last edited by Bigfly; 02-18-2014 at 11:01 AM.
Old 02-19-2014, 09:33 AM

Thanks for the info BF... planning on hitting the east Truckee on Friday seeing as I have the day off to test my luck again. Looks like I will be stopping by Sportsmans Warehouse to pick up a few extra flies to try as well!..
Old 02-22-2014, 07:44 PM

So went out yesterday and fished for about 4hrs at the Lockwood area. Got 1 strike the entire time (at least that I realized was a strike). Hooked him, and brought him in but couldnt seem to get him close enough, ended up playing with him too much and he spit the hook. Would have been a very nice looking, probably about 12-15" rainbow.

He hit a black zebra midge #18 and the take was so light I barely noticed it until the line took off. Really wish I would have landed him but oh well. Odd thing was that he was in a lane that I figured would have been too close to the shore and to shallow to hold anything. Really still don't understand river fishing and without being able to sight fish (water is somewhat murky) it makes it even harder.
Old 02-25-2014, 10:24 AM

Well got lucky yesterday and hit the same area. Went further down the river and was lucky enough to catch my first good sized brown however I dropped him back in the water while fumbling with my camera! DOH!
Then a little while later while working my way back up the river I hit something big enough to break my 4x tippet. Playing with him trying to pull him in I realized he was fighting harder than anything I had previously caught and then he busted the tippet. Definitely played it wrong on that one, live and learn!
Last was a nice sized rainbow got him in and actually got a couple of pics of him before dropping him in the water again.

Apparently I have hands of glass when handling these fish. Just think I am rushing too much trying to keep them alive for proper release while not deathgripping them. LOL. oh well, still well worth every minute.
Old 02-25-2014, 11:13 AM

Greg, I'd rather not see a picture, than stress a fish.....are you using a net?
Glad you scored!
It takes a few tussles with Walter, to get him to hand. (Especially on 4x......)
Part of the learning curve.
There are fish here that sheer 1x like butter, and are happy to do it..
My only advise......run with them......and don't pull them straight up..........................................

Jim
Old 02-25-2014, 01:43 PM

Yeah using a catch and release style net, cheapy I got from scheels. Yeah I think I am stressing myself out more than the fish trying to figure out what I am doing. Reason for pic is documentation in hopes that I catch it again and can see it grow.

And don't know if you saw Don's latest catch in the Rainbow thread in coldwater but all I can say is DAMN!