The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Western U.S.

Western U.S. Arizona, Utah, Idaho and Nevada. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

Like Tree39Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-11-2010, 08:12 PM

troutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Truckee river

I made it out for a little bit today but it was too windy for my taste. I decided to make this bad boy instead as I needed a new spool holder. I figured I would go all out on it and add a tool holder too.
Click the image to open in full size.
Old 04-11-2010, 08:18 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

packfancjh: Very nice work! Looks like you will enjoy the new thread and tool organizer for years to come!

Larry
Old 04-11-2010, 10:55 PM

webrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to behold

Very nice work, I have been thinking about doing something similar, just need to get the spring time projects out of the way....cleaning the garage, fixing the sprinklers, new sod, etc...

d
Old 04-12-2010, 02:04 PM

Bigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud of
Send a message via AIM to Bigfly

Packfancjh, I like! Anything, to make tying a little faster and easier.
The more time spent at the bench, the less time fishing. Enjoy the new set up.

Jim

Bigfly
Old 04-22-2010, 09:10 PM

Bigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud of
Default Re: Truckee river opener!

All right, down to cases. Opening Day!
Flows are up out of Tahoe, water is cold but pretty clear 42-45 F. (OK a little green).
From Trout creek up to the lake, they've had no pressure for five months.
Might be a good place to try on Sat.
I've been sitting on this water for a few days, no noses. Few bugs in the air.
It is indy time. BWO's and midges, are out a bit, but depends on the weather.
Baetis nymphs are present in the seine too.
Mid canyon is pretty good at times.
Hope you get out!

Jim

Bigfly
Old 04-22-2010, 10:48 PM

simmons_j_m is on a distinguished road

Heading south for the opener... either little walker or east carson, still undecided. Can't wait to fish those tahoe streams soon... hope you get to wet a line as well Jim. And thanks for the report!

Justin
Old 05-01-2010, 12:45 PM

ALRIGHT!! March browns and skwallas!!! I hesitate to say it........Spring is here!!!!
Mbrown and BWO soft hackles are a good call. Fish the adults in the PM.
Water is off color, but not too bad. Heavier leaders are an option.
Wading is getting sporty. Be careful out there.

Jim

Bigfly
Old 05-15-2010, 10:24 AM

Officially spring, didn't freeze last night. River is up a foot in a week, and temps dropped from 50 to 43, in the same time. Color is still OK. Beautiful fish eating!
Both Browns and Bows, a couple of white fish too. Not many noses, but sub-surface is happening.
A few biggies with a stimmy (yellow/black), on the section above Truckee.
Lower flows up there, less pressure as well.
BWO's, March browns, Golden stones, small Caddis, Baetis, and of course... Midges.
Fish dark nymphs, and small soft hackles. Make some longer leaders, 9ft is sorta short right now 3-4x will do, and bring some extra weight. Wade carefully.
You guys getting out?

Jim

Click the image to open in full size.

Bigfly

Last edited by Bigfly; 05-18-2010 at 04:24 PM.
Old 05-25-2010, 12:43 PM

Flows easing down, temps still chilly 43-46. Color is pretty good.
Large hatch of Baetis from Hirschdale up. Sz 22 black nymph. Masses of BWO's too when it's overcast.
Large fish in shallow waters, right up next to the bank. No noses. Be sneaky.
Green Drake nymphs are wandering about getting ready. They're about a month away from popping.
Some Cranefly hatching, as well as a March browns.
Next week, if it's warm, I expect to see Flying Ants.
This is a great time to prowl the water!

Jim

Bigfly

Last edited by Bigfly; 05-26-2010 at 12:02 PM.
Old 05-25-2010, 07:45 PM

webrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to behold

Haven't been able to get to the river lately, plus pretty blown out last time I checked, then of course we got the wind and snow and it felt like november again

Did get out for an hour last Saturday and saw what looked like a sulphur colored caddis hatch (yellow bodies, cream colored wings) up by lake davis last weekend, snow coming down, wind at 30 mph, and little yellow bugs landing all over my windshield, go figure.

d