The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Western U.S.

Western U.S. Arizona, Utah, Idaho and Nevada. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

Like Tree39Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-22-2010, 11:08 PM

webrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Truckee river

Just a shout out and a thanks to bigfly for showing me a small portion of his neck of the woods last week. I had a nice day and look forward to fishing that area again when the water cools a bit more.

Thanks again Jim!

Dave
Old 09-24-2010, 03:57 PM

Bigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud of
Send a message via AIM to Bigfly

Web, anytime. Wasn't very fishy when you came up though.
Things have picked up noticeably since then.
We should try again soon.
Evenings are pretty sweet right now.*

Jim

*Edit- October Caddis showing up!

Bigfly

Last edited by Bigfly; 10-09-2010 at 10:56 AM.
Old 10-09-2010, 11:40 AM

Bigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud of

It's time to fish!
Well.... it's always time, but now is even better.
Overcast weather is setting off the BWO's.
Once the early cloud cover burns off, things slow a bit.
Seeing noses more often, fishing a Burk's sillouette dun sz 20.
Some larger mays as well sz 12-14 (Brown drakes?).
Swimming a skulpin around will temp bigger guys.
Some small caddis 16-18 with a yellow body flying (Light elk hair).
Oct. caddis too. Fish the emerger.
There are still some grass hoppers hoppin', when it's warm in the afternoon.
Flows have been stable for a few days, color is good.
Being sneeky pays, as the old guy told me, "the part of your waders that should wear out first, are your knees".
Don't just stroll up and hope, crawl up and score!

Jim

Bigfly

Last edited by Bigfly; 10-13-2010 at 10:53 AM.
Old 12-19-2010, 10:15 AM

webrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to behold

Don't want to let this thread die...so thought I would post some melancholy thoughts.

Rain, snow or serious wind, every chance I have had to get out. On the couple of days when it was not, I only had an hour or so, and it is a 25 minute drive to the river, so, instead I have been taking my boys (9 and 19) out to the hills behind our house (5 minute drive) and we have been shooting the .22s

They are both getting pretty good and can hit the reactive targets (spinners, old shotgun shells, etc) 50 to 75% of the time. I wanted to get them familiar with small firearms before I move them to the big guns.

As for fishing, the river is pretty blown out right now with all the weather we have been having, fast, muddy, etc....I am jonesin a bit, but figure sooner or later things will settle down and I can get some winter fishing in. Nothing quite like fishing the river with a few snow flurries drifting down around you.

I asked santa for a new float tube this year (cumberland from Cabelas) so when spring finally arrives I can get out of my u-tube and into an easier to move tube.

Hope you all have a Merry Christmas and santa gets you something nice and fly fishing related this year.

d
Old 01-08-2011, 11:48 AM

troutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to behold

Anyone heading out today? I'm going to try and hit the river with my little man and see what kind of trouble we can get into.
Old 01-23-2011, 03:28 PM

Webrx and friends, glad to hear you guys are going out. I miss the Truckee!
After several years of 300+ days, I feel pretty shaky after not seeing running water (except in the bathroom), for three months straight.
The shoe is on the other foot, and I can appreciate how others feel about a fish report.
Please keep posting!
If all goes well, I will journey north from Mordor this week. Will hit Hot crk, E. Walker,
and then home water.
Hope I remember how to cast!
Been getting remote reports from guides, and fishin' friends. Most seem to be doing the classic Truckee thing of one big fish per trip (18-25"), after several big missed/grabs.
I can't wait!!!!

Jim

Bigfly
Old 01-24-2011, 07:33 AM

Got out yesterday, got skunked, water was looking pretty good considering all the runoff we have had lately, had a couple grabs, but, was not quick enough to get them hooked. Had midges on the water, nothing rising to them, couild posibly be due to the big moon we have had the last few nights, or could be that where I was is an easy access location and others may have fished it out on Saturday with the nice weather and all the last few days.

My buddy told me yesterday that at his work they are calling this month Juneuary, been pretty mild the last week or two, there is still snow on the mountains, and we could sure use some more up there to get the lakes and reservoirs filled up. I don't figure winter is really over yet....

dave
Old 01-24-2011, 05:47 PM

Thanks dave, I'm curious about the water temp swing between early morn, and just passed high noon. Air temps too. Like to hit the ground running, so to speak.
Let's fish a bit next week? We almost always get another blast of winter, but I've seen these La Ninja things before. We'll see.

Jim

Bigfly
Old 01-24-2011, 10:01 PM

Gonna have to wait to fish CA until I get my CA license (after taxes are done if I have any money left). My NV is still good until Feb.

I did not have a thermometer with me yesterday, sorry, but based on the hatch I am thinking we definately had a few degree rise in water temp. The midges were moving upstream, and hung out just below the riffles, like I said though, nothing rising.

I will take a thermo next time out.

d
Old 01-25-2011, 05:57 PM

Dave, first thing I do when I hit the water is get a temp.
As we start crowding spring, the high point on the temp curve has been best.
May start out at 39 go up to 42-43, then get colder in the afternoon as freshly melted snow comes in from the creeks.
The bugs have a comfort zone just like we do. Fish too!
I fish edges more, because the slower water on the edges is often a tick warmer than the middle. Last year I caught several nice fish under shelf ice on shore.
Sipping midges of course.

Jim

Bigfly