The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Western U.S.

Western U.S. Arizona, Utah, Idaho and Nevada. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-27-2010, 11:51 PM

troutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to behold
Default Comins Lake

Has anyone here fished Comins Lake near Ely NV? I have recently read a lot about it being a great trout fishery but has been turned into a pike lake illegally. I'm wondering if it's worth the trip out there for a big pike or are they smaller in size?
Old 03-28-2010, 09:41 AM

webrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Comins Lake

I wonder if the same guy who illegally introduced pike to davis lake introduced them to comins also? Davis lake only cost millions to clean up due to its proximity to other waterways. I don't know much about comins, and hopefully comins can't allow the pike to get into other waterways.

d
Old 03-29-2010, 12:12 AM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by packfancjh View Post
Has anyone here fished Comins Lake near Ely NV? I have recently read a lot about it being a great trout fishery but has been turned into a pike lake illegally. I'm wondering if it's worth the trip out there for a big pike or are they smaller in size?
Call the regional fisheries office. I'm sure they will know. How big they are depends on a lot of variables. How long they have been in there. What they are eating. Pike eating trout can get to over 20 lbs in 4 or 5 years. Females anyway, males don't get much over 30" generally. How warm the water is. For example, in warmer water they get big faster but die much younger. Truely big ones tend to come from cooler waters, where they grow much slower but live a much longer time.

If the Pike in there are an invasive species, they will probably want them out of there. Pike can do bad things to trout fisheries. It is extremely annoying when people decide to become bucket biologists, and monkeying around with lakes and streams. There are places where millions of dollars a year are spent trying to get a species out of a system. Look at the Yellowstone river. What they need to do is start offering really big rewards for information leading to the prosecution of the people running private stocking programs, and then when they catch them, come down on them like the hammer of God.
Old 03-31-2010, 05:31 PM

sinfly is on a distinguished road

I know Cave Lake up near Ely is still a pretty good trout lake.
Old 03-31-2010, 06:18 PM

troutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to behold

I have heard that also. I don't want to fish trout out there though I want a big toothy pike.