The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Western U.S.

Western U.S. Arizona, Utah, Idaho and Nevada. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-14-2010, 05:10 AM

tommyboy480 is on a distinguished road
Default whats a good fly ty-in stater kit ??help pplz.thanks

Hey I'm looking to start to tie Flys and was wounding whats the best kit to go with ?? Is this worth the money?or do you OG guys have a better link to buy from..thanks you for your time..

tommyboy;-)

Cabela's Premium Fly-Tying Kits
Old 05-14-2010, 09:13 AM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: whats a good fly ty-in stater kit ??help pplz.thanks

Tommyboy,
If you are committed in getting into fly tying and want to get started right, buy everything piece meal. Buy the good vise and tools from the get go. They will function flawlessly from the start and later on. Materials bought off the rack are usually better quality than those in the kits.

If you can, take a fly tying class from a local shop. It is much better to have someone give you instruction than trying to teach yourself. The learning curve won't be quite as steep.

MP
Old 05-14-2010, 11:18 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

As MP advises, taking a fly tying class will steepen your learning curve tremendously. I'd also recommend getting a copy of Charlie Craven's book "Basic Fly Tying".
Amazon.com: Charlie Craven's Basic Fly Tying (9780979346026): Charlie Craven: Books Amazon.com: Charlie Craven's Basic Fly Tying (9780979346026): Charlie Craven: Books

Also take a look at his web site as he has 158 flies listed with detailed instructions and materials needed.

Charlie's FlyBox - Colorado's Best FlyShop and online Fly Tying Tutorials

Larry
Old 06-13-2010, 10:07 AM

Bigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant future
Send a message via AIM to Bigfly

TB, go with the separate purchase plan (really good advice). I got the kit for Christmas, then struggled with an inferior vice, tools, and feathers.
Thought the difficulty was with me. Almost gave up, and was put off a little by how much there was to learn.
I got lucky, a friend showed me a few tricks, then came the Grass Hopper emergence.
I focused on that one fly, bought a $ 50. Thompson A vice, and only the hook and materials for that pattern, and fished it well for most of the summer.
Get one pattern under your belt, and you will be good to go. Each new pattern teaches one new technique. Lots more later.
Few things I've tried give as much satisfaction as twisting up a fly of my own, and saying hi to Walter.
Good luck with your new endeavor.

Jim

ps, 30+ years later, that Hopper pattern still works.

Bigfly

Last edited by Bigfly; 06-13-2010 at 10:30 AM.
Old 06-13-2010, 12:33 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

It looks like the guys have this covered. Regardless of how you choose to go forward there is something else you will need. You must have an unquenchable thirst for learning; fly tying is the tip of the berg.

Welcome to the forum Tommy, this is the first post of yours that I have spotted. The people here will prove to be a good source for all the questions you can come up with.

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 06-13-2010, 06:57 PM

Fly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to behold

I endorse Larry's recommendation of Charlie Craven's Basic Fly Tying. I'm not all that advanced a tier, but have managed to accumulate a number of recommended fly-tying books, and this one to me is by far the best. His instructions are the most detailed - very helpful for a beginner - as are his pictures. He also gives excellent materials suggestions.

I'd also endorse with the several suggestions below to buy your tools separately, not in kit form, and your materials as you need them. Charlie Craven's book will, like a number of beginner fly-tying books, start you out with a fly using certain basic techniques and then build on those techniques with more and more sophisticated flies.

One thing, though, I can testify to - you won't end up saving any money over buying your flies, but you will gain a great deal of satisfaction as well as being able to tie that fly to fit a fly-fishing situation that you can't buy a fly to match.
Old 11-23-2010, 04:58 AM

rangerrich99 is a name known to allrangerrich99 is a name known to allrangerrich99 is a name known to allrangerrich99 is a name known to allrangerrich99 is a name known to allrangerrich99 is a name known to all

+1 on what everyone says about buying the tools and vise a la carte. BTW, I think SW has a sale on some of their vises.

As for lessons, go see Jaquelyn Prince in the fly shop at Bass Pro. Not only does she tie very well, she teaches how she did it very well.
Old 12-22-2010, 01:54 PM

dave5977 has a spectacular aura aboutdave5977 has a spectacular aura aboutdave5977 has a spectacular aura about

Re: tommyboy380, I am also asking the same questions. As it turns out, every piece of advice others have posted, I have recieved the same answers. Piece meal your needs and wants and see Jaquelyn Prince. I checked into a class she holds at the Mesa, AZ Bass Pro Shop. The classes are booked for months in advance and only 4 people at a time. I bought Charlie Craven's book mostly based on the number of possitive feed back on Amazon and other sites.