The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Western U.S.

Western U.S. Arizona, Utah, Idaho and Nevada. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-24-2011, 07:39 PM

kayakkid is on a distinguished road
Default Green River Utah

I'm putting together a trip to the Green River below Flaming Gorge for mid-September. Plan to do this in SOT kayaks.

Does anyone have experience with Sections B and C or lower? Concerned with rapids and ability of SOT's to ride it out with the higher water this year. I hear the Class 3's in section B can be a bit tricky.

Thanks for the input. And if anyone is interested in joining, they are more than welcome.
Old 08-24-2011, 08:32 PM

cochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud of
Default Re: Green River Utah

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayakkid View Post
I'm putting together a trip to the Green River below Flaming Gorge for mid-September. Plan to do this in SOT kayaks.

Does anyone have experience with Sections B and C or lower? Concerned with rapids and ability of SOT's to ride it out with the higher water this year. I hear the Class 3's in section B can be a bit tricky.

Thanks for the input. And if anyone is interested in joining, they are more than welcome.
Red Creek rapid in Section B is the only bad one and it is easily portaged. C is a piece of cake as is very much of B.
Old 08-24-2011, 11:29 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

I floated the A section two weeks ago and the flows were at 2,000 CFS bumping to 3,000 CFS at night. I haven't been down section B this year, but can tell you that the water level has now returned to normal summer flows. Section B has one big rapid called Red Creek Rapids, it is a class III. I used a guide to show me how to navigate down it last year and then I floated it myself the next day. The big issue with that rapid is that the entire center of the river is cut off so the only routes down are the far left and the far right. The issue with the far right is that it has a shear rock wall on the far rightt and bigger standing waves so most beginners are advised to take the left route. There is a big pool just before you reach the rapids with a sign advising of the rapod, but the sound will definitely get your attention, pull off on the left side and scout the rapid and you will see the route on the left. If you still feel uncomfortable with it, you can portage down the left side of the river and put in at the bottom. I was using a drift boat so that wasn't an option. I don't think the C section has any rapids to worry about. The thing that I find interesting about the B section is that last year we caught all Brown trout with the exception of one rainbow, where the A section is usually just the opposite. Good luck and be sure to post a report on your trip.

Larry

Quote:

Old 08-25-2011, 01:39 PM

Thanks Larry. I'm looking forward to finding some of those browns; without getting wet in the process.
Old 08-25-2011, 03:43 PM

watson has a spectacular aura aboutwatson has a spectacular aura about

The only thing(s) I may add are pretty much written up in here, other than I would plan on getting wet in the process, If I was in a SOT Kayak!

Green River Rapids

To simplify it for red creek I drop in on the left and then veer right, pretty straight forward. It would be an easy portage also but I would think you would only need to portage the drop in, if at all.....

Have fun and be safe
Old 08-25-2011, 07:43 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Thanks Larry. I'm looking forward to finding some of those browns; without getting wet in the process.
You will most likely get wet going down the left chute as the waves are about 2 ft tall. As Watson pointed out the rapid is a two step process, as you complete the steep section, try to veer all the way to the right side where the waves are. You can make it down the middle in the second section, but there are a lot of sleeper rocks there, that is the way I did it, but the previous day the guide worked the boat all the way to the right and rode out the chute.

Larry

Old 08-25-2011, 09:49 PM

Watson: That's a great link. thanks for sharing. I'll definitely take a copy of that with me.

If this heat doesn't let up by then, there will be more than one session of getting wet!
Old 09-29-2011, 06:23 PM

Thanks to everyone that provided input on this. The trip was a great experience. Kayaking was exciting, fishing was good and the scenery was fantastic.

I did all three sections of the river on consecutive days. Each section has its own character and each was well worth the effort to get there.

A highly recommended trip.

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 09-29-2011, 07:11 PM
Administrator

kayakkid: Good to hear you were able to do all three sections and had a great time. I've yet to do the "C" section, but regardless that area is spectacular!

Larry