The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Western U.S.

Western U.S. Arizona, Utah, Idaho and Nevada. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-26-2011, 09:55 AM

swedfly81 is on a distinguished road
Default Truckee river in october!

Hi!

I will be visiting US i october, and i am looking fore som nice rivers to fish in.
I have heard that there is alot to fish in Nevada and California.
Is there anyone ho can give me some tips about Truckee river and Pyramid Lakes? Is there any other good rivers in the area? Is it possible to fish with out waders or is it necessary to have waders? Looking fore nice trout and rainbow trout fishing.

I am a big fan of the dryfly fishing but i also fish with stremers and nymfs.

I hope someone can give me some nice tips!

Regards
Swedfly81
Old 08-26-2011, 10:29 AM

Bigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant future
Send a message via AIM to Bigfly
Default Re: Truckee river in october!

Swed, It's true, we have some water and some trouts....both in NV. and CA.
The Truckee is a med sized high gradient river, mostly nymphing, but at times you can use a dry to effect. Upstream is in Ca. and smaller water.
By the time it gets to NV. it's pretty big water 800 cfs or more. Waders are a good call, for both the T and Pyramid.
Oct. should be outstanding for the T...... BROWNS will be going a little crazy!
Some big bows are always a possibility here. Don't forget the nick name is the "Tuffy".
If it's a cool fall some good fishing to be had at Pyramid. This is a unique fishery that might be worth hiring a guide.
Arlo's guide service will treat you well. He's a fishy guy, you will learn alot. Check youtube, or google. He has a permit for the Piaute reservation (Pyramid).
As well as NV. guide lic.
I fish a 5-6wt on the T (with floating line), and an 6wt with a floater for indicator fishing, and an 8wt at pyramid (sinking line) for streamers.
Hope you have a good trip!
Feel free to PM.

Jim
Old 08-26-2011, 11:35 AM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

Jim,
You are a classy guy by not plugging yourself.

Swedfly,
Welcome to the forum. I like to refer to the Truckee as the "Tricky" because it is such a technical river to fish. If you use proper technique, you will be rewarded with a fine quality fish. Jim already gave you recommendations on gear. I would also bring a long fast sinking sink tip for the 5-6 weight for streamers on the Truckee.

If your timing is right, you may hit the October Caddis hatch.

Dennis
Old 08-26-2011, 02:40 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Swedfly81: Here is a thread on Pyramid Lake that has some pretty good informaiton: Pyramid Lake advice

Larry

Old 08-27-2011, 02:29 PM

Bigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant future

Ahhhhhh, the Oct. Caddis...
Big fat fluttery suckers, silly fish for a change.
I stopped plugging here, because thats not why I visit....
Old 08-27-2011, 11:02 PM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

October Caddis fly around like drunk helicopter pilots.
Old 09-02-2011, 07:38 AM

swedfly81 is on a distinguished road

Is there any one how can tell me any good spots on the Truckee river?
What type of speed on the water is it on the river?
Old 09-02-2011, 12:42 PM

troutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to behold

The river can be good almost from top to bottom. You can start from Truckee and work your way all the way out to Derby Dam past Reno. Look for a turn out along the highway and hike it down to the river and you'll be sure to come across a few good runs along the way. It's a pretty big, quick moving river so be sure to watch your step.
Old 09-02-2011, 03:41 PM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi Swedfly81,

Just in case you don't know Bigfly guides on the Truckee and would be a great choice if you wanted to hire a guide. A class guy besides knowing his business.

Frank
Old 09-06-2011, 11:33 AM

Frank, thanks, whether it's true or not.
The reason I plugged Arlo for Swed (besides being a fishy guy), is because he guides NV. and Pyramid (sovereign nation).
Why drive all over to fish, and get more than one guide.
If CA. is your target water, then give a call, or PM.....

Jim