The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Western U.S.

Western U.S. Arizona, Utah, Idaho and Nevada. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-06-2011, 03:04 PM

dorian.ducker is just really nicedorian.ducker is just really nicedorian.ducker is just really nicedorian.ducker is just really nicedorian.ducker is just really nice
Default Grey's River, ***** Creek, Robinson Creek

This was the itinerary on a recent 3 day fishing trip up to Idaho, just thought I would report.

Grey's River was BEAUTIFUL! I had never been before. It is such a wadable river with great access and awesome scenery. I have read reports of people catching ton's on Cutt's on this river, I did not. We only fished for a few hours (2 of us) and we caught a total of 5 fish. Nice little Cutt's. We got out at about mile 24, I've heard it gets better the higher you go, especially starting around mile 30 but we were impatient. I would really like to explore this river again more I can see it becoming a favorite of mine.

***** Creek, ID is my favorite fly fishing destination on earth. I love the solitude and beauty, as well as the many beautiful Cutt's that will eat on top. We hiked down at the canyon mouth and fished up river a few miles to make it a loop and caught probably 20-25 fish. I was with two other guys who I was teaching to fish and I accounted for 2/3 of that fish count all on dries. They were taking Rubber Legged Stimi's and Parachute Adams on top. D. Ducker Specials were the flavor below that my buddies caught most of theirs on, under a foam hopper indicator. To top it off, we got the rental car high centered on the jeep roads on the way out, some guys from WY that had floated the Teton that day fortuitously were coming back to pick up their truck and they helped us out. Would have been a hike out without them! Thanks Skin! If anyone has thought about fishing this creek I can't recommend it more. Summer is obviously the best time, if you've never been, invite me and I'll show you the ropes!

We decided the next day to try Robinson Creek on a whim. We accessed it at the Rock Creek girls camp and got skunked. Beautiful creek, but that area seemed to hold little structure, maybe it's just me. Only fished for 2 hours.

Anyway, just thought people might want to hear about a fun fishing weekend.

---------- Post added at 02:04 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:13 PM ----------

Oops....didn't realize it would star that out. In case anyone is wondering, then name of the place is B I T C H Creek. Just FYI.
Old 10-06-2011, 04:46 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Grey's River, ***** Creek, Robinson Creek

Dorian: Thanks for posting the trip report, sounds like you guys had a good time hooking into cutties, congrats!

Larry

Old 10-16-2011, 10:27 AM

cpiercem is a name known to allcpiercem is a name known to allcpiercem is a name known to allcpiercem is a name known to allcpiercem is a name known to allcpiercem is a name known to all

Sounds like a good trip.. Do you mind my asking where you accessed B*** Creek at?

I am curious what a D Ducker special looks like. Do you have any pictures?

Thanks!
Old 10-16-2011, 04:24 PM

bobafett will become famous soon enoughbobafett will become famous soon enough

Loved Robinson Creek early this year (June) haven't really been back, as so much other stuff closer to me began opening/clearing...

but le Biatch, that's a different story. I fished it 5-6 times, going to different access spots each time but once, when i took a buddy who prolly doesn't remember how to get there! Way back in the wyoming part of it, I caught 20+ 14 inchers, with the biggest going just under 17. SO voracious i figure i was the only fly they had seen all year. And the color on these guys was spectacular.

I fished the Grey's about a month ago, and the water was quite high where we were. I actually crossed where the little greys comes in and got stuck on the other side for a good 3 miles. Ended up on a Big Horn sheep trail, found a buch of huckleberries and only caught a few small ones. I finally crossed at the first medow section i came to, then drove up another 3 miles and fished a bit more. still, nothing of any size, but i am sure they are there.

Cheers to Idaho!